Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 25 Mar 2011 (Friday) 14:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

RRS Tripods

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,092 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 03, 2011 17:21 |  #136

Just to add 2p (3c) from the UK. For once (and probably ONLY once) I can say that Britain is NOT a ripoff!
Had a look at the RRS tripod on the web and it looks like a fine piece of kit! But man it's expensive!!
I live in South Wales and buy the vast majority of my gear at a high street Camera shop about 30 miles away. In US money I paid about $200 more for my Gitzos (note the plural). I got a GT3530LS AND a GT2531 (both new) - if you add another $160 you can add a used Gitzo G1329 Mk2 systematic with a carbon center column which I bought 4 weeks ago. My 3530 has a lower weight rating (18 Kilo) than the RRS, but it has been tested with me - 100 Kilos so I am not worried about that!
The RRS looks great but they would have to knock off at least $300 before I would consider it.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

sponsored links
Malsam
382 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 03, 2011 19:51 as a reply to  @ post 12531075 |  #137

indeed...a good explanation to non-engineers like myself bw! thanks!

Gear Stuffs

Kyles
THREAD ­ STARTER
377 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 03, 2011 22:27 as a reply to  @ Malsam's post |  #138

excellent info,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Cameras - 1DMKIV - 1DMKII - 7D W/Grip
Primes - 100 F2.8 macro L - 135 F2 L - 300 F4 L
Zooms - 24-70 F2.8 L - 70-200 F2.8 L - 70-200 F4 L
Tripod - RRS TVC 33 - RRS BH55

roger1234
66 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 04, 2011 09:06 |  #139

Vermin87 wrote in post #12530740 (external link)
I'd like to offer a few of my own thoughts about carbon fiber vs. aluminum......

Although it still doesn't account for longevity of both material - this is pretty informative~ :)

Performance is the reason I choose to get my second CF tripods at such a high price. Even though I did not find any problem of using it I still not convinced for their lifetime longevity claim (under ideal conditions) that many manufacturers want us to believe.

peter_n
Goldmember
2,479 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 04, 2011 10:36 |  #140

Vermin87 wrote in post #12530740 (external link)
I'd like to offer a few of my own thoughts about carbon fiber vs. aluminum...

Very informative, thanks for the excellent post.

You mention the alternation of the weave pattern in the manufacture of CF tubes. Is this done in a "layer"? Some manufacturers state their tubes have 6 layers in manufacture, some have 8 layers. Would an 8-layer CF tube be regarded as stronger than a 6-layer tube?

~Peter

Vermin87
Goldmember
1,036 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 05, 2011 01:32 |  #141

peter_n wrote in post #12534865 (external link)
Very informative, thanks for the excellent post.

You mention the alternation of the weave pattern in the manufacture of CF tubes. Is this done in a "layer"? Some manufacturers state their tubes have 6 layers in manufacture, some have 8 layers. Would an 8-layer CF tube be regarded as stronger than a 6-layer tube?

Peter, Like any material, the strength increases with greater thickness. Whether an 8-layer CF tube is stronger than a 6-layer tube would depend on a number of things:

-What direction is the load or weight being applied to the tube?
-What direction are the layers oriented in?
-What is the diameter of the tube?
-How thick is each layer?
-What grade or type of carbon fiber is being used?
-What grade or type of resin is being used to hold it all together?

There are other conditions as well, but these would be the majority of things to compare. For most consumers, there is no simple way to say whether one is better than the other besides test data. Most manufacturers will not disclose the above information because that's the formula for their design. Whether it's 6 or 8 layers is most likely just marketing. I can make a 6-layer design stronger than an 8 layer design by changing any of the other above properties.

You must understand that not all carbon fiber is created equal. Just like how there are many different grades of steel and aluminum, there are different grades of carbon fiber. Sadly, the industry has not yet developed a consumer-friendly way of classifying carbon types.

Gear
Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)

peter_n
Goldmember
2,479 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 05, 2011 12:58 |  #142

And neither have the photo magazines/web sites come up with reliable tests for tripod rigidity and stability. Probably afraid of losing advertisers...

Thanks for the comprehensive reply.

~Peter

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 25, 2011 03:54 |  #143

In the latest episode of Peter Lik's From The Edge show on The Weather Channel he switched out his trusty 5-series Gitzo for a TVC-33 (to go along with his rather impressive collection of RRS gear - BH-55, nodal slide, omni panos, etc.). So if anyone is interested in a bit more RRS gear pr0n, check out the "Yosemite" episode.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 25, 2011 05:44 |  #144

Hey James. How's the RRS tripod holding up in usage? :)

Vermin87
Goldmember
1,036 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 25, 2011 10:20 |  #145

So I purchased a TVC-23 with BH-40 LR II and I guess mine has been put through the fire and made it through. I let a friend borrow it a few weeks back to shoot the space shuttle launch. He arrived in Florida fine, but when he tried to get through Florida security, they claimed the tripod was a "club-like weapon" and forced him to check it in. Without any bag or any sort of protection, they slapped a few labels on there and threw it into the belly of the plane. A couple transfers later, it arrived at the airport, spinning around the luggage return carousel. The clamp lever was flung open, one of the legs was slightly extended, and there were a number of rub marks on the anodizing. However, I'm happy to report that the tripod is fully functional and operating just as smooth as when I first bought it!

Gear
Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 25, 2011 10:25 |  #146

^That's why when I travel with the tripod, it goes into checked luggage. I've been through that mess already. :)Anyways, I'm glad that the RRS tripod is bullet proof. :cool:

Kyles
THREAD ­ STARTER
377 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 25, 2011 10:58 |  #147

Vermin87 wrote in post #12655328 (external link)
So I purchased a TVC-23 with BH-40 LR II and I guess mine has been put through the fire and made it through. I let a friend borrow it a few weeks back to shoot the space shuttle launch. He arrived in Florida fine, but when he tried to get through Florida security, they claimed the tripod was a "club-like weapon" and forced him to check it in. Without any bag or any sort of protection, they slapped a few labels on there and threw it into the belly of the plane. A couple transfers later, it arrived at the airport, spinning around the luggage return carousel. The clamp lever was flung open, one of the legs was slightly extended, and there were a number of rub marks on the anodizing. However, I'm happy to report that the tripod is fully functional and operating just as smooth as when I first bought it!

i love mine, great tripod, glad to know they are tough, ;)

Cameras - 1DMKIV - 1DMKII - 7D W/Grip
Primes - 100 F2.8 macro L - 135 F2 L - 300 F4 L
Zooms - 24-70 F2.8 L - 70-200 F2.8 L - 70-200 F4 L
Tripod - RRS TVC 33 - RRS BH55

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 25, 2011 16:49 |  #148

jdizzle wrote in post #12654707 (external link)
Hey James. How's the RRS tripod holding up in usage? :)

As you would expect, I guess. Moving from a Gitzo the performance difference isn't something I can eyeball at a quick glance, honestly. I didn't have any issues with the plate coming loose or problems with the plastic stops using the Gitzo, but I appreciate that I never will now. I'll get to really put it through its paces next month when I take a 2 week long trip through much of the Western US. Of course, I intend to baby the thing (I baby all my gear) but I'll be in places considerably more windy and rugged than I'm used to.

But of all my gear I worry least about the tripod. "Am I going to be satisfied with the 17-40mm walking on some of Sequoyah's darker trails?" "Will my backpack stand up to hiking around Yosemite fully loaded? Will my back?" The only thing I worry about the tripod is if I scratch it or not.

I do howver have an update regarding the RRS TQB-80. I'm pretty sure I hate the thing and regret not getting a more functional and better designed bag. I still may. The TQB-80's lack of top handle, interior pouch and strap padding are at odds with my experiences with RRS branded gear. I hope that this bag is an abberation and doesn't hint at any downward trend in RRS's forethought and quality when designing future gear.

After having both the TVC-33 and the TQB-80 for some considerable time now I might eBay the bag, but I intend to get buried with the tripod.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

Candor
Goldmember
4,852 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 25, 2011 23:04 |  #149

A question for the RRS pod owners. Is the pattern in the carbon fiber as prominent in person as it appears in photos?

Mike
MikesWildLife (external link)
flickr (external link)

bpalermini
Goldmember
1,495 posts
Gallery: 107 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 25, 2011 23:13 |  #150

Candor wrote in post #12658137 (external link)
A question for the RRS pod owners. Is the pattern in the carbon fiber as prominent in person as it appears in photos?

Yes and it looks great.

Bob Palermini
R6, 5DIV, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200L IS 2.8, 100-400L II, 400L 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

sponsored links

111,820 views & 0 likes for this thread
RRS Tripods
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.