Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Jun 2011 (Thursday) 14:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sell th 40D to get a 1D Mark II?

David ­ Ransley
673 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 04, 2011 17:49 |  #61

I use a 40D and photograph moving children. At first I also came back depressed, until I moved the focus to the * button and changed the way I photograph. Continues drive and keep the thumb locked on the focus button. Wait for the moment and take the shot. Focus with the centre point at first and then move the camera - the camera keeps on tracking the moving child - within limits. The biggest win is to change the focus technique. Half pressing the shutter button doesn't work for me.

I don't own a 1DII and will buy in on the fact that it is better on a few points, but also look at technique. My 40D failed using a point and shoot approach or the default setup. This shot below is actually part of a sequence of about 4 to 5 shots.

DRH

sponsored links
Lacks_focus
Goldmember
1,025 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 04, 2011 17:50 |  #62

chrisandaivi wrote in post #12534840 (external link)
Sure the canon 24-70mm F2.8 would be nice BUT I already have the Tamron for that. And I already have a telephoto ( the 70-200mm) sure it's only the F4 version but I like it like that it's very light. For the amount of money for a new 70-200mm or the canon 24-70 I can get a new 1 series body. AND I surely can't afford a 50mm F1.2. LOL

I think you'll find that the Canon 24-70 2.8 will be a bit better at focus speed as it has the USM drive and I believe (although not positive) your Tamron has a micro motor. As far as your f/4 lenses go, in general there is nothing wrong with them. If you're looking at the 1 Series for better focusing, however, you may want to consider replacing the f4s with f2.8s. One item hardly ever discussed when debating the benefits of f/2.8 lenses over similar focal length f/4 is the better focus ability gained with faster apertures. Remember, you need light to focus, more = better in this case, and also remember that the lens is wide open during the focus phase. It doesn't stop down until you trigger the shutter. So, you are getting one stop more light to focus with while using a f2.8 over an f4. Also there are certain focus points (I forget which, and it depends on the camera model) that become cross-type at 2.8 for even more accuracy and faster lock. All that being said, you need none of it to improve the example shots you provided. You should have been able to nail them with what you have. Having a 1 series will not help you as much as you may be thinking for general photography. In fact, you may find the images straight out of a 1D2 not as good as the images straight out of your 40D. The 1 series assumes you plan to do some post processing. The shots out of a 1D2 tend to look soft and a bit dull. No picture styles unless you can find a 1D2n in your price range. Before the 1D3, I remember post after post comparing the 1D2 series against any number of XXD and XXXD cameras. Most were kind of dumping on the 1D2 because out of the camera jpgs looked so much better on the lesser cameras and thought / claimed the 1D was way over rated. You just need to do more work with the 1D. The 1D3 pretty much solves that, but you should know what you’re getting in to with a 1D2. The camera expects more out of you than any XXD camera. You can go either way really. Only you can decide. You should just realize there is no magic involved with any camera. You still need to do your part to get the shot you want.

1D MKIII | FujiFilm X10 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 70-200 f/2.8 | 135 f/2 | 85 f/1.8 | 580EX |
lacks-focus.smugmug.com (external link)

David ­ Ransley
673 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 05, 2011 01:53 |  #63

@Lacks_focus: "One item hardly ever discussed when debating the benefits of f/2.8 lenses over similar focal length f/4 is the better focus ability gained with faster apertures".

This is possibly the one reason why I invest in F2.8 lenses. The cameras use different set of features if the lens is fast.

DRH

pixelshooter.net
102 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 06, 2011 04:03 |  #64

Here is my take -

I recently had chance to buy a used 1Dn MK II for $1000. I've started off with the 350d and have owned the 30D, 40D, 5Dc in the past. Been using the 5D Mark II since Sep '09. I simply love the files from my 5D MK II and frankly, the IQ from that camera is hard to beat. But for better AF, I wanted a second camera so was tempted to go for the used 1Dn MK II. I borrowed a friend's 1D MK II for test purposes. I was not entirely happy because:

- The 1Dn MK II is a HEAVY camera. The XXD cameras and the 5D MK II is a lot easier to carry around.
- Almost every settings requires you to use two hands. Even scrolling through images. Not the most convenient thing on earth.
- I use auto ISO on my 5D MK II regularly and missed it on the 1Dn MK II. I don't worry about the 5D MK II automatically going up to ISO 3200. Of course, I could turn old school and manually change the ISO. But the 1D MK II requiring two hands to change anything + poor high ISO means a lot of fumbling. It also means shooting with fast glass (which are generally heavy).
- Coming to the IQ - Images up to ISO 400 were awesome. 800 was ok. 1600 was bad, and 'H' unusable. The files don't stand tweaking very well.

To answer the OP's questions, I'd say stick with the 40D unless you very badly need faster AF and better build. Everything else is nice on the 40D. Including the 1.6x crop in case you shoot wildlife. Remember, Canon batteries for the 1Dn MK II are very hard to find new. The charger is very bulky too.

My Photography Website (external link)

Ross ­ Murray
220 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 06, 2011 04:49 |  #65

pixelshooter.net wrote in post #12543918 (external link)
Here is my take -

I recently had chance to buy a used 1Dn MK II for $1000. I've started off with the 350d and have owned the 30D, 40D, 5Dc in the past. Been using the 5D Mark II since Sep '09. I simply love the files from my 5D MK II and frankly, the IQ from that camera is hard to beat. But for better AF, I wanted a second camera so was tempted to go for the used 1Dn MK II. I borrowed a friend's 1D MK II for test purposes. I was not entirely happy because:

- The 1Dn MK II is a HEAVY camera. The XXD cameras and the 5D MK II is a lot easier to carry around.
- Almost every settings requires you to use two hands. Even scrolling through images. Not the most convenient thing on earth.
- I use auto ISO on my 5D MK II regularly and missed it on the 1Dn MK II. I don't worry about the 5D MK II automatically going up to ISO 3200. Of course, I could turn old school and manually change the ISO. But the 1D MK II requiring two hands to change anything + poor high ISO means a lot of fumbling. It also means shooting with fast glass (which are generally heavy).
- Coming to the IQ - Images up to ISO 400 were awesome. 800 was ok. 1600 was bad, and 'H' unusable. The files don't stand tweaking very well.

To answer the OP's questions, I'd say stick with the 40D unless you very badly need faster AF and better build. Everything else is nice on the 40D. Including the 1.6x crop in case you shoot wildlife. Remember, Canon batteries for the 1Dn MK II are very hard to find new. The charger is very bulky too.

Who'd want Canon batteries for it though? Third party ones last longer!

Camera: Canon EOS 1D MkII
Lenses: Canon 50mm f/1.8 II, Canon 50mm f/2.5 Macro, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L,
Sigma 15-30mm f/3.5-4.5 EX DG, Sigma 400mm f/5.6 APO HSM Telemacro, Tamron SP 90mm F/2.5 Macro
Flickr (external link)

shakyhand
241 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 06, 2011 08:44 |  #66

I traded my 40D for a 1dmk2 some 2 years ago... it was awesome.. if not becoz of my fascination with video... I would never touch 7D..

1. Yep.. lcd screen is soooo tiny... but why need it when you nail the AF and exposure 99.99% of the time...

2. Need 2 hand for each operation... after 45 minutes playing with this beauty... it become my 2nd nature...

3. It's bulky... hey.. I'm asian.. 155 pounder, and only 5' 7"... no complain...I love the curve on 1D.. it is perfect.. every xD or xxD battery grip is boxy and pain to hold.. but that built in grip in 1D is just spot on..

4. Just one thing that 1D can't be beaten... your confidence to get the job done... you just know 1D will nail it for sure... no doubt, no second thought...

7D, 450D, EF17-40L, EF70-200/2.8L IS, 580EX, 550EX,..... Benro C-427 CF Tripod, Markin M10 Ballhead;

With all these gears, my photos still suck

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 06, 2011 09:23 |  #67

^^^I agree.

I think 1D mark II is a bargain for what it sells these days.

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

TijmenDal
Goldmember
1,214 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 06, 2011 17:00 |  #68

Ross Murray wrote in post #12534876 (external link)
Do it! I made the same switch (with a 1Dc in between) and haven't looked back. The AF is outstanding.

What do you shoot?

Landscape and (outdoor action) sports mostly. That's why it's so appealing to me, there's two things why I wouldn't want to get it though:
- Video - I love video and would really like to pick up HDSLR shooting.
- Small(ish) screen (even though the mkII is 0.2" bigger and the mkIIn 0.7") and lack of live view: I'm a big fan of vintage glass as I think optically it's often just as good as the modern glass and I don't have the money for super expensive AF-glass. I think I often suffer of the lack of live view on my 20D though and would really like it.

I actually just bought a 40D for a ridiculous price (600€ for 40D, 85mm f/1.8, 2 Slim B+W filters, Domke F6 and Sandisk 16GB extreme, talking about a sick deal...) and would really like to use live view for some time.

EDIT: And it looks like I'm going to sell my trusty 20D for quite a nice sum of money as well...

//Tijmen
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/tijmendalexternal link

Gear

chrisandaivi
THREAD ­ STARTER
718 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 06, 2011 17:03 |  #69

MAN.,, I can't wait to get this body but the familia will go on vacation soon SOOO I guess this lovely camera will wait again!

Gear: 5D Mark II, Canon 85mm 1.2 L ,Canon 17-40mm F4L
Canon 24-70mm F2.8L, Canon 70-200mm F4L
580 exII x2
Rf602 triggers
Etc, Etc, ETC

ooztuncer
153 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 18, 2011 04:28 |  #70

another 40D vs 1d2 decision is needed here :)

I used 40D and 5D earlier and now I have a chance to buy a 1d2 for $600.

around $450 comes the 40D; around $600 comes the 1d2; around $850 comes the 5D....

decisions decisions.

is 1d2 really slow to operate?

Camera: Canon 1d3, Fuji f100fd
Main Glass: Nikon 24mm f2.8 (AI), Leitz Summicron-R 50mm f2, Olympus Zuiko 100mm f2.8, Jupiter 37A 135mm f3.5, Super takumar 200mm f4
Feedback: ebay (external link) - heatware (external link) - head-fi (external link)

zarray
167 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 18, 2011 06:23 |  #71

Lacks_focus wrote in post #12536542 (external link)
I think you'll find that the Canon 24-70 2.8 will be a bit better at focus speed as it has the USM drive and I believe (although not positive) your Tamron has a micro motor. As far as your f/4 lenses go, in general there is nothing wrong with them. If you're looking at the 1 Series for better focusing, however, you may want to consider replacing the f4s with f2.8s. One item hardly ever discussed when debating the benefits of f/2.8 lenses over similar focal length f/4 is the better focus ability gained with faster apertures. Remember, you need light to focus, more = better in this case, and also remember that the lens is wide open during the focus phase. It doesn't stop down until you trigger the shutter. So, you are getting one stop more light to focus with while using a f2.8 over an f4. Also there are certain focus points (I forget which, and it depends on the camera model) that become cross-type at 2.8 for even more accuracy and faster lock. All that being said, you need none of it to improve the example shots you provided. You should have been able to nail them with what you have. Having a 1 series will not help you as much as you may be thinking for general photography. In fact, you may find the images straight out of a 1D2 not as good as the images straight out of your 40D. The 1 series assumes you plan to do some post processing. The shots out of a 1D2 tend to look soft and a bit dull. No picture styles unless you can find a 1D2n in your price range. Before the 1D3, I remember post after post comparing the 1D2 series against any number of XXD and XXXD cameras. Most were kind of dumping on the 1D2 because out of the camera jpgs looked so much better on the lesser cameras and thought / claimed the 1D was way over rated. You just need to do more work with the 1D. The 1D3 pretty much solves that, but you should know what you’re getting in to with a 1D2. The camera expects more out of you than any XXD camera. You can go either way really. Only you can decide. You should just realize there is no magic involved with any camera. You still need to do your part to get the shot you want.

I disagree with this. To me, the files out of the 1d2 require little or no PP whereas i had to spend time playing around with individual colour channel saturation to get my colour looking balanced. I contemplated switching to Nikon but alas, i tried the 1D2n and was sold on it. 100% view on the 8.2mp files looks reasonably sharp with default sharpening values on LR3. My previous 50D required more sharpening.

One last thing, the images from the 1D simply shines compared to the 50d i had. Its hard to pin-point exactly what it as...but i attribute it to the larger sensor size.

5D Mark II | 5Dc |17-40 | 24-105 | 70-200 F2.8 IS | Sigma 50mm 1.4 | 580EX

sponsored links

9,665 views & 1 like for this thread
Sell th 40D to get a 1D Mark II?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.