Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 04 Jun 2011 (Saturday) 21:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gitzo 3 series + bh-55 for landscaping?

sulli.gibson
82 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 04, 2011 21:10 |  #1

Guys, am I out of my mind thinking about getting a gitzo 3 series systematic and a rrs bh-55 bullhead for landscaping? I'm just looking for the single most stable setup possible and its only around 5 lbs. Hell Peter Lik even uses a 5 series. I'm way under the weight requirements with just an UWA out to 200mm but still. I also might go for the bh-40, not sure.

Sulli Gibson
http://www.sulligibson​.com (external link)

sponsored links
musso
662 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 04, 2011 21:22 |  #2

i used the 3531s and i loved it. It was a little short for me so i got the 5541LS it is a bit taller and more stable for the height. depending on how tall you are i would get a 3 series with out a doubt. and the BH-55 is a winner also. systematic series is a must for landscape in my opinion.

thank you
joe

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 04, 2011 21:39 |  #3

I use a 3531s and Markins M10/M20. Rock solid for landscape photography.

sulli.gibson
THREAD ­ STARTER
82 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 04, 2011 22:10 |  #4

Well with the ballhead and camera mounted, the 3530ls is going to be slightly too tall for me by my calculations and I'm 5'10". But since it's the same price as the 3531s which would be too short for me I think I'll still get the 3530ls. I'll just lower the tripod a little each time. Joe, is the added weight of your 5 series not that bad?

Julian, any problems with your markins heads sticking in cold weather?

Sulli Gibson
http://www.sulligibson​.com (external link)

peter_n
Goldmember
2,448 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 04, 2011 22:22 |  #5

I'm 5ft 8in and I use a 3541LS and an Arca-Swiss Z1 ballhead. The Arca has a 54mm elliptical ball and the combo when fully extended has the VF of the camera in line with my eye. I often use the tripod with just three sections extended. I think the one advantage the BH-55 has over the Z1 is it's lower profile; it has a lower center of gravity, but the Z1 is the best ballhead I've used by far. Worth your consideration I think.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

~Peter

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 04, 2011 22:24 |  #6

sulli.gibson wrote in post #12537588 (external link)
Well with the ballhead and camera mounted, the 3530ls is going to be slightly too tall for me by my calculations and I'm 5'10". But since it's the same price as the 3531s which would be too short for me I think I'll still get the 3530ls. I'll just lower the tripod a little each time. Joe, is the added weight of your 5 series not that bad?

Julian, any problems with your markins heads sticking in cold weather?

As ar as I know, no problems since I've left my tripod and ballhead in the car a few times in cold weather. :)

sponsored links

1,244 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gitzo 3 series + bh-55 for landscaping?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.