Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 05 Jun 2011 (Sunday) 14:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Does anyone actually make a decent living from this?

The ­ Framed ­ Life
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 05, 2011 14:53 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

I know there are the one in 100,000 photographers that are lucky enough to work for a magazine, big newspaper, or something like that who are making the big bucks, but what about the average guys shooting senior portraits, weddings, etc? Seems like everyone I know who does this professionally either has a day job or is living a very minimalist life to keep doing what they love.

The Framed Life (external link)
Canon 30D
70-200mm F/4L, 24-70 f/2.8L

►►► 30D For Sale ◄◄◄
James Robertson

sponsored links
PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 05, 2011 15:23 |  #2

I do. Just bought a house with my income and no other job.

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

The ­ Framed ­ Life
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 05, 2011 15:27 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

Do you shoot more weddings or portrait stuff?

Canon 30D

►►► 30D For Sale ◄◄◄
James Robertson

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 05, 2011 15:39 |  #4

Both. I had a newborn shoot on Wednesday, a wedding Friday, a family portrait today, and tomorrow I have another wedding. So my portrait to wedding ratio is about even. Weddings obviously pay more.

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 05, 2011 16:00 |  #5

Depemds what you call decent ?

I make about $ 6,000 a month from Photography alone.

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 05, 2011 16:12 |  #6

Nightstalker wrote in post #12540930 (external link)
Depemds what you call decent ?

I make about $ 6,000 a month from Photography alone.

This is a good point. I see my income as being decent. I pay my bills, feed myself, drive a nice enough car, have a nice house and a small savings for retirement. I'm happy, healthy, and content with my life. I'm not a millionaire, I can't afford a sports car, a big boat, or to go on expensive lavish vacations, but I'm ok with that so, IMO, I make a decent living. But other people may disagree if you saw how much I actually make.

The ­ Framed ­ Life
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 05, 2011 16:29 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

I really wish I could get an idea of what you're doing to achieve that income reliably, but I don't want to ask you too much about your personal expenses and all that, I'm just trying to figure out how I could turn what I love into something I can make a future with.

Canon 30D

►►► 30D For Sale ◄◄◄
James Robertson

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 05, 2011 16:45 |  #8

Firstly what I don't do :

I don't do weddings or portraits.

I don't actively market my services - work that I get is generally through contacts or referrals.

I don't have an active website.

I don't have a business facebook / twitter etc.

If you want to know what I do - drop me a line and I'll happily discuss offline with you.

The ­ Framed ­ Life
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 05, 2011 16:54 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

What the hell..this I have to hear.

Canon 30D

►►► 30D For Sale ◄◄◄
James Robertson

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 05, 2011 17:14 |  #10

You have PM because I just LOVE Stuey.

The ­ Framed ­ Life
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 05, 2011 17:19 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

Thanks for the info!

Canon 30D

►►► 30D For Sale ◄◄◄
James Robertson

Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 05, 2011 18:18 |  #12

The most important thing, and the thing a lot of small business owners miss is that your role changes when you move from hobbyist to business. You have to think like a CEO, not like your best employee. Talk to your local small business incubator. Talk to your accountant get an attorney, talk to your banker/lender.

These are the very basic steps to becoming a successful BUSINESS. The content of your business depends on your passion.

A friend of mine is a Wedding Photographer. When I got married two years ago I couldn't afford her. I couldn't afford her even with a steep discount. She came as a guest and left almost all her gear at home. Keep in mind that we dropped close to $3k after prints but w/o an album so its not like we went with a CL photographer.

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

The ­ Framed ­ Life
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 05, 2011 18:24 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

I know I have one local wedding photography business charging about $10,000 per wedding, but they have a lot of photographers working for the business, it's not just a small little 2 person deal.

Canon 30D

►►► 30D For Sale ◄◄◄
James Robertson

ShotByTom
Goldmember
3,021 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 05, 2011 19:03 |  #14

The Framed Life wrote in post #12541025 (external link)
I really wish I could get an idea of what you're doing to achieve that income reliably, but I don't want to ask you too much about your personal expenses and all that, I'm just trying to figure out how I could turn what I love into something I can make a future with.

Look around at your local photographers, see what they do. You should very easily, and very quickly, be able to find out who the big names are in your area. There are an awful lot of people making a very good living at photography.

Gear
Website (external link)

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 05, 2011 19:10 |  #15

I just work. I'm not afraid of work, I'm not above work, I'm not better then work. I think a lot of people expect to be rich without putting in the effort and that is rarely how it works. If I were to add it up I think I could easily clock 60+ hours a week (shooting, editing, marketing, legal stuff, professional development and research, etc.). Running a business is never easy. It's a lot of blood (literally, sometimes), sweat, and tears. If you are driven enough, determined enough, and lucky enough you will succeed. Just don't give up. It took me 3 years to get to where I am. Three years of eating a lot of brown rice, retried beans, and frozen chicken and never going anywhere unless someone else paid for it. Now, I'm in a very comfortable position and can do more with my life... Like get married, buy a house, reproduce, and go on cheap vacations! And arguably three years is a short amount of time. 5+ wouldn't be unreasonable in this economy.

sponsored links

7,100 views & 0 likes for this thread
Does anyone actually make a decent living from this?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.