Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
Thread started 06 Jun 2011 (Monday) 07:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Negative Feedback ??

RobCoombs
69 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 06, 2011 07:07 |  #1

Is there a negative feedback thread that anyone knows about? I can't seem to find one. I recently got scammed by a POTN member who has since been banned. I thought it might be helpful to have a thread where you could see if a seller had any previous issues.

Canon 5DII [] Canon 85 1.8 [] Canon 50mm 1.8 [] YN-465 [] www.500px.com/robcoomb​s (external link) []

sponsored links
mchong75
Goldmember
2,927 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 06, 2011 07:17 |  #2

Nope, unfortunately there isn't one.

(Michael) Gears:
5D MK III / Grip (2) | Canon 24-70L II | Canon 17-40L | Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS Mark II | 600EX-RT (2) | ST-E3-RT | PCB Einstein (2) | Pocket Wizard Plus III (4) | PCB 47" Octobox | Vagabond Mini | Kacey Beauty dish | Lee ND, GND & Big Stopper | Lastolite 24" x 24" | Gitzo 3541LS tripod | Markins Q20 w/ RRS B2 LR II | Sigma 35 Art | 85L II

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 06, 2011 07:36 |  #3

Nothing like that but did you get your money back at all?

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

RobCoombs
THREAD ­ STARTER
69 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 06, 2011 08:05 |  #4

I payed through paypal regular (not gift) so I have a claim in, and will hopefully get my money back next week.

Canon 5DII [] Canon 85 1.8 [] Canon 50mm 1.8 [] YN-465 [] www.500px.com/robcoomb​s (external link) []

Skip ­ Souza
Cream of the Crop
26,204 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 06, 2011 12:58 |  #5

We do not allow the public flogging of our members nor the raising of lynch mobs. Such threads quickly devolve to a one sided drubbing or a public pissing contest, neither of which are good for the Forum.

If someone believes that they have been scammed then the thread should be reported so that the Mods can take appropriate action.

Taking a dispute public could very well result in disciplinary action.

Bless the recently fallen and their family and friends.
I have a Cannon with me at all times. You can't take the shot if you don't have something with which to shoot. :rolleyes:
That which does not kill me ~~ Should Run.
5DMkII, 7D, 70-300L IS, 24-105L,
No more PayPal gift payment requests.
"PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED."

RobCoombs
THREAD ­ STARTER
69 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 07, 2011 06:05 |  #6

I have not mentioned the POTN member's name, nor have I taken anything public.

I did report the thread last week and have yet to receive any reply from a moderator regarding a couple of question I had asked.

I understand why there is not a negative feedback thread, I realize a lot of people would simply use it as a means to vent about every bad transaction they've ever had. All I'm saying is that it would be nice to have some means of checking to see is a seller has attempted a scam previously. This particular seller took money from myself and another POTN member. If we had a way of checking feedback like the FredMiranda site, it may have prevented all of this.

Skip Souza wrote in post #12546095 (external link)
We do not allow the public flogging of our members nor the raising of lynch mobs. Such threads quickly devolve to a one sided drubbing or a public pissing contest, neither of which are good for the Forum.

If someone believes that they have been scammed then the thread should be reported so that the Mods can take appropriate action.

Pete
I was "Prime Mover" many years back....
38,631 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 07, 2011 07:40 |  #7

It's up to the buyers and sellers to establish their reputation. If a seller doesn't have enough positive feedback on POTN or any other site, then you're at liberty to walk away from the deal.

Most of the negative feedback and complaints we've had about deals here on POTN have been due to a breakdown of communication, real-life problems, or simply impatience on the part of the buyer.

Proven scammers are not tolerated here on POTN earn themselves a permanent ban.

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

scrumpy
Goldmember
3,664 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jun 07, 2011 07:53 |  #8

Skip Souza wrote in post #12546095 (external link)

I agree with POTN's sentiments. But it also appears that this attitude is an open invitation to a scammer, and that he/she are very likely to get away with their scam.
Maybe a sticky with warnings not to deal with this member; seller or buyer. Just a thought.

David: Canon EOS 400D - Canon EF70-300mm f/4-55.6 IS USM -Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 DC Macro - Sigma 50-500 'Bigma' - Speedlite 580EX 11 - Better Beamer
Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy ;)

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jun 07, 2011 08:57 |  #9

If we determine to our satisfaction that a member's been trying to run a scam, as Pete said, that member becomes a former member. As such, that identity will no longer be a threat to members.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
20,886 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2004

Jun 07, 2011 09:16 |  #10

RobCoombs wrote in post #12550530 (external link)
I have not mentioned the POTN member's name, nor have I taken anything public.

I did report the thread last week and have yet to receive any reply from a moderator regarding a couple of question I had asked.

I understand why there is not a negative feedback thread, I realize a lot of people would simply use it as a means to vent about every bad transaction they've ever had. All I'm saying is that it would be nice to have some means of checking to see is a seller has attempted a scam previously. This particular seller took money from myself and another POTN member. If we had a way of checking feedback like the FredMiranda site, it may have prevented all of this.

I see you have a WTB thread so I would like to know: Did the seller contact you via PM? And did the seller have zero posts ?

I did report the thread last week

How did you report it? I see no reported threads from you. If you send PM's directly to moderators it can take time before you hear anything and some of us get many pm's so we can even miss a pm or two occationally. Always use the report post button because then all moderators/admins can see the report.

EDITING OF MY PHOTOS IS NOT ALLOWED

RobCoombs
THREAD ­ STARTER
69 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 07, 2011 09:23 |  #11

This seller did have positive feedback, and a large number of other posts with no indication that they would scam. I understand this is 100% my fault, I'm not trying to shift the blame to any moderator or anyone else associated with POTN.

I was just making a comment wondering if there was a was to find out if there was any negative feedback regarding a particular seller. Like I said, it was easy to find previous positive feedback.

I guess the unfortunate thing is that its easy enough for this same person to create a new account, make a number of posts, actually sell a few legit items and then run the same scam again.

Pete wrote in post #12550773 (external link)
It's up to the buyers and sellers to establish their reputation. If a seller doesn't have enough positive feedback on POTN or any other site, then you're at liberty to walk away from the deal.

Most of the negative feedback and complaints we've had about deals here on POTN have been due to a breakdown of communication, real-life problems, or simply impatience on the part of the buyer.

Proven scammers are not tolerated here on POTN earn themselves a permanent ban.

i_am_hydrogen
Goldmember
1,705 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 07, 2011 16:54 |  #12

Why not require a user to have a minimum number of posts before being able to buy and sell equipment?

flickr (external link) | Kevin

Canon 6D | Canon 5D II | Canon TS-E 17
L | Canon TS-E 24L | Canon TS-E 45 | Canon 135L | Canon 24-105 ISL

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 07, 2011 16:56 |  #13

i_am_hydrogen wrote in post #12553691 (external link)
Why not require a user to have a minimum number of posts before being able to buy and sell equipment?

They do. Read the rules for the buy/sell section.

My Gearlist

Skip ­ Souza
Cream of the Crop
26,204 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 07, 2011 16:58 |  #14

So you didn't report the scam?

Multiple identities is also a reason to be permanently banned.

The appropriate way to report a suspected scam is to go to the thread in question and use the Report Post button,

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'
, and give all the pertinent information in the dialog box.

We will need to know the who, what, when, for the transaction in question.

I can guarantee you one thing, if you do not report a scam, nothing will be done about it.

Bless the recently fallen and their family and friends.
I have a Cannon with me at all times. You can't take the shot if you don't have something with which to shoot. :rolleyes:
That which does not kill me ~~ Should Run.
5DMkII, 7D, 70-300L IS, 24-105L,
No more PayPal gift payment requests.
"PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED."

goldboughtrue
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 07, 2011 20:26 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

MOkoFOko wrote in post #12553701 (external link)
They do. Read the rules for the buy/sell section.

They have to have 30 posts and 30 days only to post items for sale. Anyone can PM a seller and buy something. Someone PM'd me with zero posts and I said no deal.

http://www.pbase.com/g​oldbough (external link)

5D II, Canon 100 macro, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 24-105 L, Canon TS-E 45, Sigma Art 35mm f/1.4

sponsored links

3,185 views & 0 likes for this thread
Negative Feedback ??
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.