Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 03 Jun 2011 (Friday) 06:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My model shooting days are done... pep talk?

DStanic
Cream of the Crop
6,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 03, 2011 06:56 |  #1

I should have known early on that my wife wasn't really comfortable with the idea of me shooting models. Really I just like shooting people (if they are attractive it makes it easier! lol) anyways I only shot a few girls, one girl added me on facebook and would sometimes write on my wall or comment on things but in a friendly way, nothing inappropriate. Well my wife told me that she is not happy and wants me to stop shooting models, which is fine cause I understand. I shoot the odd wedding but as you may know they are stressful and time consuming, although I do enjoy them. What else can I turn my interest towards? I have no experience shooting babies or children, but think family type portraits may be a direction to go..

Sony A6000, 16-50PZ, 55-210, 35mm 1.8 OSS
Canon 60D, 30D
Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 17-35, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8

sponsored links
Grumps ­ Photo
Suffering Keyboard in Mouth desease
2,012 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Jun 03, 2011 13:14 |  #2

Darn, you're not in Ottawa. Would have suggested you send the poor disappointed models my way.
Modelling is not one of skills I have practiced yet. Though I have the studio equipment I have mainly used it for family and portrait work, some product work. The occassional wedding will require some of the gear depending on where and when.
I definitely do not have a life sustaining business in photography, but it helps defray the costs.
All of my work is word-of-mouth advertising, have not chased any work except through my current employer for product and site shooting.
Weddings are sometimes tough, but really add up.
Good luck with the changes!

Grumps
(aka Jim or JAZZ D.P.G.)
1DsMKIII, 1DMKIII, T6s, D60, L's, DO, USM, other lens, flashes, studio gear (but no studio!) Olympus TG3
grumpsphoto.com

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 03, 2011 13:35 |  #3

I'd say it's time for a new wife. ;)

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

ReubenH
416 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 03, 2011 19:38 |  #4

Whipped. Seriously, cant let wifey dictate your job like that :P Tell her it's what's earning the bread and the butter. Unless... it's not... in which case, damn eh?

If my wife said i couldn't be a pilot anymore cause she's afraid I'll crash or something, she'd be on the kirb side. No kidding.

"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan.
450D, 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS.

Randi
Goldmember
1,106 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 03, 2011 20:07 |  #5

I'm a soon to be wife so I get it. I'd just keep business and personal separate. Delete the girl from your Facebook... no reason to keep in touch after your business relationship is done. :) I'm not implying anything by the way, I'm just telling you how your wife is probably looking at it.

Canon 7D | Rokinon 8mm f/3.5 | Rokinon 35mm f/1.4 | Bower 85mm f/1.4 | EF 40mm f/2.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8 L | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L | 580 EX II | Manfrotto 190XB/496RC2
flickr  (external link)

DAMphyne
"the more I post, the less accurate..."
2,156 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2003

Jun 06, 2011 08:29 |  #6

Take your wife with you to the shoots?

David
Digital set me free
"Welcome Seeker! Now, don't feel alone here in the New Age, because there's a seeker born every minute.";)
www.damphyne.com (external link)

jrsower
30 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 06, 2011 08:46 |  #7

ReubenH wrote in post #12531909 (external link)
Whipped. Seriously, cant let wifey dictate your job like that :P Tell her it's what's earning the bread and the butter. Unless... it's not... in which case, damn eh?

If my wife said i couldn't be a pilot anymore cause she's afraid I'll crash or something, she'd be on the kirb side. No kidding.

Don't agree. At the risk of taking this thread off topic and into dangerous ambiguous moral ground I say good for you. You're not whipped, you're considerate and compassionate. Call that whipped, unmanly, whatever. It's responsible and will matter worlds to your wife.

My wife has rarely asked me to reconsider some behavior or practice but when she does I'd be a fool to tell her if she doesn't like it to hit the road.

500D, 70-200 F4L IS, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, 60 2.8 Macro, 17-55 2.8 IS, Rokinon 8mm FE, 580EXii, 430EX

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 06, 2011 08:51 |  #8

I think before you give up something you enjoy, you need to have a few honest questions answered, so that this is entirely fair to you.

Ask her why this makes her uncomfortable.

Tell her that to bring it up now that you are doing it is unfair.

You deserve some straight answers.

And if you are going to give this up, then frankly you will feel a bit better if you get something in return. For example, if something she's doing bothers you, a lot, trade.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

picard
Goldmember
1,996 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 08, 2011 07:25 |  #9

I need a wife. you can pass your wife to me.

Canon 1DM4,7D, Rebel XT
580 EX II, 430 EX II
Canon 70-200mm IS II L , Canon 85mm F1.2 L II, Canon macro 100mm F/2.8, 18-55mm kit
Sigma 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6, Sigma 10-22mm, Sigma 50mm F/1.4
Sigma 24-70mm F/2.8 EX DG HSM

mbellot
"My dog ate my title"
3,360 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 08, 2011 08:33 |  #10

picard wrote in post #12556860 (external link)
I need a wife. you can pass your wife to me.

You can have mine, but you've got to take the three kids and dog too.

All female BTW.

:lol:

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 08, 2011 10:15 |  #11

Because of one person contacting you on facebook you have to quit shooting models? I would think there is more to the story otherwise the request is not reasonable. I guaranty my own wife would think the same.

talea
347 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 08, 2011 14:30 as a reply to  @ dgrPhotos's post |  #12

I also think you should find out exactly what it is that makes her unhappy about it. I have only ever done one model shoot and I really enjoyed it even though I am female and so was the model. It was really nice to shoot someone who was comfortable in front of the camera.

If you like shooting people then I guess families and kids are what is left if you aren't able to shoot models.

Or... you could always try shooting male models!:p

Oh yes... before I forget - I think that you are right in considering your wife's feelings. I can't see how any good could come from ignoring your partner's unhappiness.

Canon EOS 500D, 50 mm f1.8 MKII, 85mm f1.8, 18 -55 mm f3.5 - 5.6 IS, 70 - 200mm f4 L, 60mm f2.8 macro

Shockey
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 08, 2011 14:33 |  #13

Take your wife with your on your model shoots, if for some reason you are reluctant to do that then she is probably right in her objections.

picard
Goldmember
1,996 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 08, 2011 18:37 |  #14

mbellot wrote in post #12557117 (external link)
You can have mine, but you've got to take the three kids and dog too.

All female BTW.

:lol:

sorry. I don't have room for dog and 3 kids.

Canon 1DM4,7D, Rebel XT
580 EX II, 430 EX II
Canon 70-200mm IS II L , Canon 85mm F1.2 L II, Canon macro 100mm F/2.8, 18-55mm kit
Sigma 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6, Sigma 10-22mm, Sigma 50mm F/1.4
Sigma 24-70mm F/2.8 EX DG HSM

pcunite
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 09, 2011 10:53 |  #15

Not always, but mostly ... men are very visual and women emotional. You can lead a man by his eyes and lead a woman by her heart. Instinct tells your wife when the right set of circumstances come together (you're tired, the model is hot, you just had an argument with wife or life's got you down, model is lonely and needing attention) that you will more than likely do something you'll later regret.

It is a mostly untrue fantasy that men find women who love them and also tolerate him lusting after every other women he come across. It is a fantasy that a man would be happy with a women who is a model and still has time to meet all his needs.

You did the right thing...

sponsored links

2,552 views & 0 likes for this thread
My model shooting days are done... pep talk?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.