Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 03 Jun 2011 (Friday) 21:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens cleaning

dalto
THREAD ­ STARTER
758 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 05, 2011 21:03 |  #31

1000arms wrote in post #12542213 (external link)
By using a fresh, uncontaminated part of the tissue... :)

But...as soon as you moved it wouldn't it be contaminated? The only way you could use a fully uncontaminated one would be to dab, right?

sponsored links
tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 05, 2011 21:10 |  #32

1000arms wrote in post #12542213 (external link)
By using a fresh, uncontaminated part of the tissue... :)

You're not getting it. Once you touch the clean tissue to the dirty lens, the tissue is no longer clean.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

1000arms
862 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 05, 2011 21:37 |  #33

dalto wrote in post #12542280 (external link)
But...as soon as you moved it wouldn't it be contaminated? The only way you could use a fully uncontaminated one would be to dab, right?

tgara wrote in post #12542342 (external link)
You're not getting it. Once you touch the clean tissue to the dirty lens, the tissue is no longer clean.

You (both) might want to read SkipD's post again (#2 in this thread). If you do, please note item 4 of SkipD's post. The wiping with a wet and clean section helps to move particles and gather them up, which is why by using a fresh, uncontaminated part of the tissue, one ensures that one is using a material that does not have any particles embedded in it.

Feel free to use microfiber for that if you want. That is a choice you can make. :)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,474 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jun 05, 2011 21:42 |  #34

tgara wrote in post #12542342 (external link)

Step #4 of my process involves using the WET tissue with virtually NO PRESSURE on the lens. The idea is to pick up any particles that weren't removed with step #1 without risking grinding them into the lens (due to the very light touch).

I'll guarantee you that my procedure works. I have NEVER scratched a single camera lens in 45 years of cleaning lenses and I have worked with my cameras in quite a few rather dirty environments such as motocross tracks as one example.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,232 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 05, 2011 21:54 |  #35

SkipD wrote in post #12542516 (external link)
Step #4 of my process involves using the WET tissue with virtually NO PRESSURE on the lens. The idea is to pick up any particles that weren't removed with step #1 without risking grinding them into the lens (due to the very light touch).

I'll guarantee you that my procedure works. I have NEVER scratched a single camera lens in 45 years of cleaning lenses and I have worked with my cameras in quite a few rather dirty environments such as motocross tracks as one example.

And to present the dissenting opinion...

I, too, have never scratched a single camera lens in 46 years of cleaning lenses, and I have worked with my cameras in quite a few dirty and sandy environments such as ocean beaches, and I have used microfiber cloths for almost half of those years (the other half I followed SkipD's methodology before microfiber was invented ! :lol: ).

:)

BTW, I just ran across a Leica FAQ web page that says to use microfiber. http://nemeng.com/leic​a/020e.shtml (external link)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Blurr ­ Cube
...a lucky id-iot that didn't get electrocuted...
15,129 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 05, 2011 22:33 as a reply to  @ post 12540633 |  #36

I just find the lens tissue with cleaner so convenient for cleaning. They're disposable and as long as you are careful to clean with unused sections then it should be fine. Then I dry with a microfiber.

I sometimes use a separate "wet" microfiber cloth that acts like the lens tissue with cleaner. I pour/dab the lens cleaner on the cloth (not on the lens) always. Then, I use another microfiber to dry the lens.

| Canon EOS Systems |

rvdw98
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 06, 2011 03:15 |  #37

I heard that Chuck Norris uses an angle grinder to clean his lenses. And Ken Rockwell never cleans his, because they just never get dirty to begin with.

Roy

jcho
41 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 06, 2011 09:12 |  #38

great tip on cleaning the lens. maybe I should stop using my shirt to clean it

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,232 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 06, 2011 11:45 |  #39

jcho wrote in post #12544804 (external link)
great tip on cleaning the lens. maybe I should stop using my shirt to clean it

Well, microfiber is made out of polyester. And white T-shirts are made out of pure cotton. And optical manufacturers endorse both 'pure white cotton' balls and microfiber cloths to clean their lenses. So really, the only issue of using your shirt tails is the fact that it has been on your body picking up salts and oils from your skin, and/or the fact that it has been worn for 4 days and picked up off the heap of worn clothes on the floor and sniffed before being re-worn ;)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

jcho
41 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 06, 2011 12:29 |  #40

Wilt wrote in post #12545658 (external link)
and/or the fact that it has been worn for 4 days and picked up off the heap of worn clothes on the floor and sniffed before being re-worn ;)

:shock: I don't know what you mean ;)

Blurr ­ Cube
...a lucky id-iot that didn't get electrocuted...
15,129 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 06, 2011 17:06 |  #41

jcho wrote in post #12545912 (external link)
:shock: I don't know what you mean ;)

If it passes the "sniff" test... nevermind. Heh. ;)

| Canon EOS Systems |

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 06, 2011 17:33 |  #42

I don't know, with due respect to everyone here, I think any reasonable way you clean your lenses, be it with a micro cloth that's washed from time to time, or lens tissue, is fine. You should see how professionals in the field do it, the untucked corner of a shirt, etc. And they get paid big bucks for their work and have gallery shows with it.

That said, I'm as compulsive as anyone else when I have the time.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

rvdw98
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 06, 2011 18:05 |  #43

tvphotog wrote in post #12547649 (external link)
You should see how professionals in the field do it, the untucked corner of a shirt, etc. And they get paid big bucks for their work and have gallery shows with it.

Perhaps those big bucks allow them to replace damaged lenses or have them repaired more readily than most of us.

On the other hand, I'll keep using microfiber cloths as I've been doing for about 20 years now and I yet have to write off a lens because of it. Lens cleaning is apparently a lot like going to Rome.

Roy

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,691 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2011

Jun 06, 2011 18:33 |  #44

I just bought some microfiber cloths with one side rubberized for ease of use (from Lensmateonline). I'm sure they are available in lots of places, but they sure work well.. and I did an evil thing and bought a lenspen too.... am I doomed?

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 06, 2011 19:15 |  #45

rvdw98 wrote in post #12547828 (external link)
Perhaps those big bucks allow them to replace damaged lenses or have them repaired more readily than most of us.

Yes, and in many cases, the publication pays for their gear.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

sponsored links

5,414 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens cleaning
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.