Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 Jun 2011 (Monday) 15:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Are all of Sigma's 50mm 1.4 the new finish if ordered now?

TriangleZ
79 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 06, 2011 15:19 |  #1

I just placed an order for the Sigma 50mm 1.4 and I'm just reading on how the old finish tends to peel and retains finger marks and such, whereas the newer finish is smooth plastic. I also read they mix and match the focus and lens hood so half is smooth, half is the grainy sparkle, which looks stupid to me. Anyone out there that ordered this lens recently get stuck with the old finish? I ordered from B&H, and I'm wondering if they would allow me to exchange if I had the old finish.

sponsored links
jcho
41 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 06, 2011 15:21 |  #2

yes they are new finish from B&H. Not sure if you can find it in the old finish anymore

jcho
41 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 06, 2011 15:22 |  #3

I think this will be my next lens as well. Let me know how it works out for you!

phant0mv87
582 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 06, 2011 15:26 |  #4

i'd be confident that you'd get the new finish

check out this thread for sigma's transition from crinkle to smooth (sigma 30/1.4)
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1026094

Canon 5DmkII BG-E6
85/1.4||100/2.8||24-70/2.8L||70-200mkII
580EX || YN-467 || ST-E2 ||RF-602
Packed nicely in a Lowepro Flipside 300

TriangleZ
THREAD ­ STARTER
79 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 06, 2011 15:46 |  #5

Thanks for the reply. I was worried I was going to get a mish mash of new/old finish. I saw some people getting the grainy lens hood, grainy focus ring, but smooth plastic throughout. Looked like some Frankenstein lens that I did not want to be getting. B&H and Sigma still has the old finish posted as the picture.

The next thing I'm worried about is I hope there is no AF issue, but I am feeling lucky.

supergoat
181 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 10, 2011 17:12 |  #6

A few days old, but my 24-70HSM was ordered from BH and the lens is the new finish, but the hood is the old finish. I don't really care though. :)

Canon 50D | 430exII Speedlite
Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 24-70 F2.8 EX HSM

sponsored links

2,016 views & 0 likes for this thread
Are all of Sigma's 50mm 1.4 the new finish if ordered now?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.