Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 05 Jun 2011 (Sunday) 07:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wichita Riverfest Criterium

TLR
147 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 05, 2011 07:37 |  #1

This is the first time my oldest boy raced. He was the only one with a 90's steel frame Bianchi. Led part of the race (he thought it was the primes lap) and than dropped out due to very dry thoat. Temp was 100 degrees. Lens 70-210 F3.5 and Tokina 12-24 F4.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
TLR
THREAD ­ STARTER
147 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 05, 2011 07:44 |  #2

First picture was taken from parking lot along river to race-Tokina 12-24 at 24mm wide open. Don't you love my backgrond! I violated my first rule of portraiture-select decent background where my son was leading the race for a little while

MOD EDIT: Per the IMAGE POSTING RULES - there is a max of 2 attached images allowed per thread.

Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 05, 2011 08:02 |  #3

Congratulations to him on his first race! Nice shot of him leading (despite the porta-potties ;) ). In my first 'real' race, I got lapped 4 times. The next day I finished with the main group. I didn't stop until 12 years later. :D As for the bike - if it's got wheels and rolls, it's good enough. Pin on a number and give 'em heck.

My pictures: John Wilke Photography (external link), Flikr (external link) , Facebook (external link), Fine Arts America (external link), Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

namasste
Cream of the Crop
6,849 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 06, 2011 10:08 |  #4

Biffbradford wrote in post #12539126 (external link)
Congratulations to him on his first race! Nice shot of him leading (despite the porta-potties ;) ). In my first 'real' race, I got lapped 4 times. The next day I finished with the main group. I didn't stop until 12 years later. :D As for the bike - if it's got wheels and rolls, it's good enough. Pin on a number and give 'em heck.

Absolutely, congrats! My first road race and first mtb race both showed DNF next to my name so tell him not to sweat it since several years later, I'd moved to Cat 2 (was completely out of my league but rules are rules) and expert mtb where I won a two points series. Point is, tell him to stick with it if he loves it and results will come and if nothing else, he'll get damn fit trying.

Love the steel and tube shifters by the way. Old or not, I'd bet that thing rides like a dream, especially compared to some of the ultra stiff aluminum frames that are out there (I ride one, and each time I do it makes me miss my old SLX Bottechia!).

Scott Evans Photography (external link)
SportsShooterProfile (external link) l MaxPreps Profile (external link)
Gear List

ohheyseth
42 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 06, 2011 21:40 as a reply to  @ namasste's post |  #5

Hey there! Funny to find this here. I actually raced in Wichita this past weekend, same races. Not sure if he was racing Juniors or in Cat 5 field, but I raced Cat 5. Bummer that he had to drop out. I felt like vomiting a few times myself.. that dry, hot air/wind was pretty dang brutal out there. Props to him for giving it a go and getting out front for a bit! Love that older Bianchi he's riding!

Any chance you took pictures of the cat 5 race? I ended up winning it (first win, super exciting), but didn't get around to getting info from any of the photogs I saw on the course.

Thanks for any help tracking down some pictures of the cat 5 race!

BTW, I'm this guy but with black/white Oakley Jawbone's on instead of the glasses in the picture..

HOSTED PHOTO

TLR
THREAD ­ STARTER
147 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 06, 2011 22:07 |  #6

were you the guy from Tulsa? My son thought about going to Tulsa. May do the rides in Lawrence or Topeka later on. I'll look through my photos and see if you are in any of them!

ohheyseth
42 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 06, 2011 22:14 |  #7

TLR wrote in post #12549110 (external link)
were you the guy from Tulsa? My son thought about going to Tulsa. May do the rides in Lawrence or Topeka later on. I'll look through my photos and see if you are in any of them!

Yep, I'm from Tulsa. If you have any w/ guys from my team in em they'd be cool to see too. Doesn't have to just be me! =]

Do you guys live in Wichita? Tulsa Tough is this weekend and it's an awesome event worth checking out. OR, my team is hosting a crit (www.jenkscriterium.com (external link)) on 6/26. Come on down!

Seth

TLR
THREAD ­ STARTER
147 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 06, 2011 22:21 |  #8

Try this picture. I just have a dozen or so of you from a distance. Only concentrated on my boy though for single pictures.

We live about 45 miles northeast of Wichita near Peabody.

HOSTED PHOTO

ohheyseth
42 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 06, 2011 22:28 |  #9

Very cool! Since I'm always the guy on our team taking pictures I usually don't get many of my race unless I hand my camera off (ready to go) and ask someone to point and shoot. =]

Thanks for posting that. Any chance I can get the highres? I can paypal ya a few bucks or w/e.

TLR
THREAD ­ STARTER
147 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 06, 2011 22:31 |  #10

Send me a pm with your email and I'll email you some (not sure what the max limit on email attachments are though. There's about a dozen or so photos. Were there just 2 of you on your team?

ohheyseth
42 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 06, 2011 22:37 |  #11

PM Sent. Thanks a ton. There were only 2 of us in that particular race. We had several guys in the 4 race and some women racing too, but I don't suspect you shot either of those races.

TLR
THREAD ­ STARTER
147 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 06, 2011 23:17 |  #12

Just the cat5 race-sorry. I may have some of the women's race before the cat5 mens. I'll look through them and get back with you.

Zivnuska
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 07, 2011 09:00 as a reply to  @ TLR's post |  #13

TLR,

Let me know the next time your son is racing locally. Try to keep the temperatures 90 or below and we can go shoot him together.

Phil

www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com/blog (external link) = My Blog
Gear List
www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com (external link)

"It's not tight until you see the color of the irides."

TLR
THREAD ­ STARTER
147 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 07, 2011 19:29 |  #14

Zivnuska, thanks for the offer. I was looking through some of your posts and you had some of the Newton girls basketball game and one picture is a girl I know from my church! A small world indeed! Kansas is well represented with pictures you post here. keepem coming!

sponsored links

1,821 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wichita Riverfest Criterium
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.