Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 07 Jun 2011 (Tuesday) 05:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lady Slipper thoughts?

workingdawgs
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 07, 2011 05:30 |  #1

I took this photo on Sunday, and I know that there are blown out highlights on the flower, however I am looking for more suggestions on improving the shot composition and pp. I did adjust some basic stuff. The bottom photo is the original image.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i17.photobucket​.com …kingdawgs/ladys​lipper.jpg (external link)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i17.photobucket​.com …workingdawgs/IM​G_5007.jpg (external link)

Canon Rebel XS, Tamron 28-300mm lens fitted with both Hoya CP filter and Hoya UV filter (both since removed), f/5, 1/200s, iso/400, focal length 92mm

Thanks for looking :)
Michelle

sponsored links
dmwphoto
460 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 07, 2011 05:52 |  #2

beatiful flower and nice attempt. I would say the focal plane is off slightly. the main body of the flower is out of focus.

Dave Watts
dmwphoto.smugmug.com (external link)

workingdawgs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 07, 2011 06:15 |  #3

I agree with you on the focal plane. I wonder if some of that might have to do with the two filters being on the lens..? I think I also have to try to shoot in manual focus more often. I used AF for that shot, and that might also be part of the problem...

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 07, 2011 06:25 as a reply to  @ workingdawgs's post |  #4

Re-shoot this flower, it's not worth the effort.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

MichSt
Goldmember
1,078 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 07, 2011 06:38 |  #5

The focal plane is off as noted above, but you probably also want to stop down some to get more of the flower in focus. I would also go for a tighter crop of just the flower. You might also want to try shooting when the lighting is more even, maybe in the morning or evening, or on an overcast day.

Mario.Q

Canon EOS R

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 07, 2011 10:49 |  #6

I would have guessed that the aperture was wider than f5 on that, but who knew? Not me. I was born and raised in Prince Edward Island, so that flower is special to me, and I had to check it out when I read the post title. Was it a bit past its prime in this shot? I don't remember if Lady's Slippers have red on the leaves or if that one is just on its way "out". I see a lot of flower shots in which the shooter didn't attend to those sorts of details, and if that is the case, one way to improve flower shots is to find the one that hasn't any brown spots and is still at the peak of perfection. Lady's Slippers are rare, so easier said than done, but just a thought.

In any event, it could be that your focus was off, or the depth of field so shallow that the wind swaying it slightly killed the focus. Try shooting that flower, or any other, without two filters on your lens, I think you will enjoy the result in this instance.

Now that you've made me homesick, can you find some fiddleheads to photograph and post? That will bring me full circle on "I miss the Maritimes". ha ha. I'm heading to Prince Edward Island to shoot on June 15th, maybe I'll find my own lady's slippers? Thanks for posting that shot.

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

workingdawgs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 07, 2011 14:49 |  #7

Lol Sue... I only saw 3 Lady's Slippers in the park, and one of them was most definitely past it's prime. This was one of the best shots I had, and there was a breeze that day. I haven't looked for any fiddleheads this year, but I think they are just about done by now...

Thanks for appreciating the shot :)

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 07, 2011 15:04 |  #8

I love california poppies and have been known to build a v shaped tent with white foam core around them to block the breeze as it seems there is always a breeze blowing here at the beach. The little suckers close up in actual wind....it's tragic really. I drove 3 hours to get to the poppy fields north of los angeles once and it was so windy they were all closed up. I suffer for my craft.

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

sponsored links

800 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lady Slipper thoughts?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.