Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 08 Jun 2011 (Wednesday) 07:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is the best ultra wide-angle aspherical lens for fullframe cameras on a budget

Daniel ­ Bolstad
27 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 08, 2011 07:02 |  #1

Well, I'm shooting with a 5DmkII, but the lowest I can go with my current most wide-angle lens is 24mm.

My budget isn't huge, I can stretch to 2 000 dollars but would like to keep it as low as possible, considering I've got a lot of other necessities I need to spend money on.

I'm thinking something along the lines of the Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6. It's performance is okay and it seems like decent choice, but if any of you guys have any other suggestions I'm open to them.

It has to be a full frame lens, and I don't want any fisheye stuff, so I'd prefer an asperical lens. I was thinking of the 17-40mm F/4L but I like to go even wider then that for some spectacular landscape photography.
I prefer prime by a tad. I'll take zoom if I have to.

sponsored links
Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 08, 2011 07:18 |  #2

Samyang/Rokinon 14mm - lots of moustache distortion, though, which can be a problem if you have straight horizons.

ken_vs_ryu
539 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 08, 2011 07:28 |  #3

Tamron 17mm adaptall, Olympus 21mm or the Canon 17-40L.

http://google-black.blogspot.com (external link)

Daniel ­ Bolstad
THREAD ­ STARTER
27 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 08, 2011 07:36 |  #4

Yeah, I'm having a hard time choosing. It's between the 17-40L and the 12-24. I do love my width but I also love my quality. Is there anything that can seal the deal for either of them?

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 08, 2011 07:41 |  #5

Daniel Bolstad wrote in post #12556883 (external link)
Yeah, I'm having a hard time choosing. It's between the 17-40L and the 12-24. I do love my width but I also love my quality. Is there anything that can seal the deal for either of them?

Wait for the new Sigma 12-24 Mk II, which is supposed to come out soon - going on recent Sigma offerings, it'll be sharp corner-to-corner...

Daniel ­ Bolstad
THREAD ­ STARTER
27 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 08, 2011 07:53 |  #6

How long do you reckon a lens takes to be released? Because I'm driving to Geirangerfjorden, Norway in mid July so my timeframe is kind of short.

patspicasa
449 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 08, 2011 08:59 |  #7

The reviews on the canon 14 MM are amazing - I am thinking of it as well

No signature

kbColorado
Goldmember
1,241 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 08, 2011 09:32 |  #8

Daniel Bolstad wrote in post #12556803 (external link)
Well, I'm shooting with a 5DmkII, but the lowest I can go with my current most wide-angle lens is 24mm.

My budget isn't huge, I can stretch to 2 000 dollars but would like to keep it as low as possible, considering I've got a lot of other necessities I need to spend money on.

I'm thinking something along the lines of the Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6. It's performance is okay and it seems like decent choice, but if any of you guys have any other suggestions I'm open to them.

It has to be a full frame lens, and I don't want any fisheye stuff, so I'd prefer an asperical lens. I was thinking of the 17-40mm F/4L but I like to go even wider then that for some spectacular landscape photography.
I prefer prime by a tad. I'll take zoom if I have to.

Do not spend $2K on a UWA without checking out the images posted on the Samyang 14mm lens sample archive section. $379 US.

Paul
deep greens and blues are the colors I choose ...

Daniel ­ Bolstad
THREAD ­ STARTER
27 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 08, 2011 10:14 |  #9

kbColorado wrote in post #12557460 (external link)
Do not spend $2K on a UWA without checking out the images posted on the Samyang 14mm lens sample archive section. $379 US.

I heard it has terrible, nearly unfixable distortions on full frame, and the image quality is sub par. Besides, the next 12-24 is only 1 300$

patspicasa wrote in post #12557253 (external link)
The reviews on the canon 14 MM are amazing - I am thinking of it as well

Way out of my budget.

bpark42
307 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 08, 2011 10:49 |  #10

Daniel Bolstad wrote in post #12556883 (external link)

I have owned both the 17-40 and the 12-24. The main difference between them is obviously the much wider 12mm on the Sigma. 12mm is just insanely wide on full frame.

Performance on both is pretty good overall. Both benefit from stopping down to f8-f11. In my experience the 17-40 was better when stopped down to that range, but both were pretty good.

Daniel Bolstad wrote in post #12557725 (external link)
I heard it has terrible, nearly unfixable distortions on full frame, and the image quality is sub par. Besides, the next 12-24 is only 1 300$

I think you heard wrong...(I do not own one but have been reading up on it recently)

The distortions are very bad for sure, but they can be corrected with lens profiles that others have already created. The image quality is apparently very high once the distortions are accounted for.

http://www.photozone.d​e …samyang14f28eos​ff?start=1 (external link)

jcho
41 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 08, 2011 10:53 |  #11

one more vote for samyang 14. I've been looking at the lens sample thread and the results are amazing. They say the distortion is easily fixed in lightroom and way cheaper than the L lenses

Daniel ­ Bolstad
THREAD ­ STARTER
27 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 08, 2011 15:12 as a reply to  @ jcho's post |  #12

Wow. I'm getting the Samyang 14 after looking through the sample thread.

arentol
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 08, 2011 15:22 |  #13

Daniel Bolstad wrote in post #12559075 (external link)
Wow. I'm getting the Samyang 14 after looking through the sample thread.

Good call. I have a spreadsheet of every single Photozone.de test result for full frame lenses and the Samyang destroys all other UWA options (and almost all other lenses period). Especially at f/2.8 where the Samyang is the second sharpest lens of all the canon-mount lens tested.

Its best feature is that its corner sharpness is truly ridiculous for a UWA. The moustache issue doesn't matter in many shots, and is easily corrected in those where it does.

One bit of advice though. Get a Nikon copy and a Nikon-to-Canon adapter with AF confirm. It brings the price up a little on you, but it is nice having the AF confirm and putting an AF confirm chip on yourself is a LOT harder than just using the adapter, and not that much cheaper. It also doubles your market if you ever decide to sell it, Nikon or Canon purchasers can use it.

5D3 | Rokinon 14 f/2.8 | 16-35L II | TS-E 24L | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | Voigtlander 40 f/2.0 | Σ 50 f/1.4 | MP-E 65 | 70-200 2.8L IS II | Σ 85 f/1.4 | Zeiss 100 f/2 | Σ 120-300 f/2.8 OS | 580 EX II | 430 EX II | Fuji X10 | OM-D E-M5 | http://www.mikehjphoto​.com/ (external link)
*****Lenses For Sale (external link)*****

Daniel ­ Bolstad
THREAD ­ STARTER
27 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 08, 2011 15:27 |  #14

arentol wrote in post #12559146 (external link)
One bit of advice though. Get a Nikon copy and a Nikon-to-Canon adapter with AF confirm. It brings the price up a little on you, but it is nice having the AF confirm and putting an AF confirm chip on yourself is a LOT harder than just using the adapter, and not that much cheaper. It also doubles your market if you ever decide to sell it, Nikon or Canon purchasers can use it.

http://cgi.ebay.com …PageName=mem_gu​ide:1&rd=1 (external link)

This basically?

bcd01
Goldmember
2,428 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 08, 2011 15:28 |  #15

kbColorado wrote in post #12557460 (external link)

http://www.kenrockwell​.com/tech/samyang/14mm​-f28.htm (external link)

"Optically the worst 14mm FX lens sold today, but much better than nothing at all."

I think this says it all!

bcd01 - devices of enjoyment list :D

sponsored links

6,533 views & 0 likes for this thread
What is the best ultra wide-angle aspherical lens for fullframe cameras on a budget
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.