Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Jun 2011 (Tuesday) 18:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7d vs 5dc- Shallow dof/FF overrated?

Tealtele
THREAD ­ STARTER
318 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 08, 2011 23:55 |  #46

WhyFi wrote in post #12561262 (external link)
Well, if you're going to start a thread hemming and hawing about the differences and then go on the enumerate the pitfalls, such as thin DoF becoming your 'style,' yeah, that is how I'm going to read it. If you're not personally worried about too frequently taking advantage of a certain capability, why even bring it up?

I'll gladly share my opinion and experience on when and why moving to FF might make sense, but I get the feeling that the whole thread was started as a decoy so that you could step on your little soapbox so you can spout your oh-so-worldly opinion. If that's the case, I'll gladly bow out; I have no interest in having someone (with little working knowledge of the of the differences between, and the relative strengths of, the two formats) lumping me in with their imaginary FF users that don't have the tact to know when to make use of the capabilities of the tools at hand.

What I find to be overrated - opinions of the under-informed.

Someone needs a chill pill, or ten.

Sure the thread really was mostly just trying to confirm to myself that I want the 7d, but how much of this forum is just people wanting others to say "buy what you want to buy" anyway?

Sorry that I've apparently come off as someone who thinks their opinion is "oh-so-worldly", interestingly you're coming off as the same exact way to me...

When I write a thread, it's going to contain my own reasoning(pros and cons to each camera) even if some of it's wrong(which is why I post it here, so that I can get feedback), I guess that's "hemming and hawing" to you. Sorry but if I'm that annoying to you then find another thread to post in.

Like I've already tried to explain, I do understand that with full frame I can decide not to have shallow dof, and I've always got the ability,with full frame, to have a shallower look if I feel like that's the "look" I want. I know I'm not just going to get "stuck" into some cliche style just because my sensor is larger.

BUT, my point was that I don't NEED the shallower dof capabilities for what I want to do. Take those away and you've still got a few advantages to FF- dynamic range, iso performance, ect., but I feel like those aren't that big of a deal when you consider all that the 7d offers from a feature standpoint for the money.(5d2 would be nice if I could afford it).

I really don't see how I'm the uninformed one, I actually think you're only getting pissed off because I'm not a total sheep willing to take everything you say as gold.

Cheers :lol:.

sponsored links
Tealtele
THREAD ­ STARTER
318 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 08, 2011 23:58 |  #47

kf095 wrote in post #12561468 (external link)
It is nice idea but works only in theory most of the times for me in real world.
We are currently living in 2500 sq.f home.
Largest room is something like 20 by 10. On 1.6 cropper with 18mm I could barelly fit group of people if they are at one end and I'm almost at the wall at another end.
With 5Dc and 19mm it is not even a problem.
Backing up is only for outdoors and only at some places. Where are you going to backup with 7D if you have wall behind of you like on this picture?
5Dc 19mm on 120 USD lens.
QUOTED IMAGE

In that case where people aren't an issue, a small panorama? Really not hard if you know how things need to be lined up, 2-3 pictures.

tricky500
424 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 09, 2011 00:03 |  #48

For me, the lack of live view rules out the original 5d.

- Paul

gosundevils
401 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 09, 2011 00:14 |  #49

tricky500 wrote in post #12561778 (external link)
For me, the lack of live view rules out the original 5d.

Do you shoot with a P&S?

5DmkII – 50 1.4 USM – 28 1.8 USM
full gear list
flickr (external link)
www.osephj.com (external link)

Erik_L
Goldmember
3,160 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 09, 2011 00:18 |  #50

sigh.

This is beginning to fail. "a small pano" is not a real substitute for MOAR WIDE, sorry. have fun shooting an up-close-and-personal shot of a horses face using that method instead of a wide lens.

36x24 is my preferred format, but I also love APS-H. I don't think I care to ever go back to APS-C. Then again, I love my Micro 4/3 camera too....

Canon EOS 1D III
Manfrotto 190X Pro B w/324RC2 "Action Head" | Canon 580EX II
Sigma 20 f/1.8 | Canon 35 f/1.4 L | Sigma 50 f/1.4 | Sigma 85 f/1.4 | Canon 135 f/2 L
Flick (external link)r

imperian
196 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 09, 2011 00:20 |  #51

I do agree that shooting great portrait need no shallow DOF. BUT i shoot portrait no other than f1.2......

5D Classic | 17-40L | 50L | Nikkor 28/2 Ai
flickr (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link)
Review: Auto Chinon 55mm f1.7 - The Oil-painting BOKEH lens (external link)

tricky500
424 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 09, 2011 00:24 |  #52

gosundevils wrote in post #12561813 (external link)
Do you shoot with a P&S?

An s95.

A 5d II as well. As I purchased a manual focus lens just 3 hours ago live view would be very beneficial.

Thanks for the attack anyway.

- Paul

Tealtele
THREAD ­ STARTER
318 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 09, 2011 00:26 |  #53

gosundevils wrote in post #12561813 (external link)
Do you shoot with a P&S?

haha.

I think live view is mostly a novelty feature, but it comes in handy from time to time especially with macro where manually focusing is so critical. Or say you want to frame a shot with a perspective above your eye level- you could either guess on the focus and chimp, or use live view.

It's not a make-or-break feature for me, but it's one of the many that's a "nice to have".

Tealtele
THREAD ­ STARTER
318 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 09, 2011 00:35 |  #54

Erik_L wrote in post #12561828 (external link)
sigh.

This is beginning to fail. "a small pano" is not a real substitute for MOAR WIDE, sorry. have fun shooting an up-close-and-personal shot of a horses face using that method instead of a wide lens.

36x24 is my preferred format, but I also love APS-H. I don't think I care to ever go back to APS-C. Then again, I love my Micro 4/3 camera too....

Sigh, it does fail when you don't read my post(or perhaps just don't comprehend it correctly). But thanks. I already know that it doesn't work in all situations, which is why in his shot in particular(I was referring only to his shot and scenes like it which have few if any people) you'll notice that the people/moving subjects are very tiny and if you did accidentally have a guy that moved while you were panning you could just clone him out so that he only appears once.(no I wouldn't do that for photojournalism, but I was talking about shots like his of some random street).

But..I have done vertical panoramas with my dog, and with a posed model. That horse wouldn't be that big of an obstacle so long as it doesn't move very often and my lens was already fairly wide(say a 16mm on a crop which is 25mm). Two or three shots wouldn't be that hard to stitch... so long as you're able to get them to line up(again assuming the horse doesn't move so much).

I was just providing an alternative option that works in SOME CASES, I'm not saying it works instead of a super wide angle all of the time.

gosundevils
401 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 09, 2011 01:20 |  #55

tricky500 wrote in post #12561851 (external link)
An s95.

A 5d II as well. As I purchased a manual focus lens just 3 hours ago live view would be very beneficial.

Thanks for the attack anyway.

just joshin', calm yourself. although you do realize, people got away with manual focusing lenses without live view up until about... 2 years ago?

5DmkII – 50 1.4 USM – 28 1.8 USM
full gear list
flickr (external link)
www.osephj.com (external link)

tricky500
424 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 09, 2011 06:30 |  #56

True. I'm sure they had more shots slightly out of focus as well.

- Paul

windpig
Chopped liver
14,900 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 09, 2011 06:47 |  #57

kf095 wrote in post #12561468 (external link)
It is nice idea but works only in theory most of the times for me in real world.
We are currently living in 2500 sq.f home.
Largest room is something like 20 by 10. On 1.6 cropper with 18mm I could barelly fit group of people if they are at one end and I'm almost at the wall at another end.
With 5Dc and 19mm it is not even a problem.
Backing up is only for outdoors and only at some places. Where are you going to backup with 7D if you have wall behind of you like on this picture?
5Dc 19mm on 120 USD lens.

You misunderstood my comment. Foot zooming is not always an option and certainly does not maintain perspective.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

supernova333
41 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 09, 2011 07:15 |  #58

DAMphyne wrote in post #12561129 (external link)
You can't "Back-up" and get the same shot.

You are correct, it's definitely not the "same" shot and I understand that you can't always physically back up. I was just pointing out that if you want to take a photo of the same subject with a 50mm vs a 30mm, you're going to have to take a step back to get it all in the picture.

DAMphyne
"the more I post, the less accurate..."
2,156 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2003

Jun 09, 2011 08:11 |  #59

supernova333 wrote in post #12562752 (external link)
You are correct, it's definitely not the "same" shot and I understand that you can't always physically back up. I was just pointing out that if you want to take a photo of the same subject with a 50mm vs a 30mm, you're going to have to take a step back to get it all in the picture.

Sometimes in this kind of discussion, misleading comments can lead in-experienced photographers to wrong conclusions.

In fact, this thread is riddled with these mistakes.
The term "crop camera", 30mm becomes 50mm, Bokehlicious, ...

I see now that you have an understanding of perspective.
No dis' intended

David
Digital set me free
"Welcome Seeker! Now, don't feel alone here in the New Age, because there's a seeker born every minute.";)
www.damphyne.com (external link)

supernova333
41 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 09, 2011 08:15 |  #60

DAMphyne wrote in post #12562946 (external link)
Sometimes in this kind of discussion, misleading comments can lead in-experienced photographers to wrong conclusions.

In fact, this thread is riddled with these mistakes.
The term "crop camera", 30mm becomes 50mm, Bokehlicious, ...

I see now that you have an understanding of perspective.
No dis' intended

Understood and no offence taken.

sponsored links

8,975 views & 0 likes for this thread
7d vs 5dc- Shallow dof/FF overrated?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.