Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 May 2011 (Saturday) 07:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS Utility & Windows7

FarnhamBee
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 09, 2011 03:50 as a reply to  @ post 12562283 |  #16

Thanks for the reply, I already have EOS Utility set to "Run this program as administrator" - but have UAC set at the default so the system still asks for confirmation before running.

My feeling is that UAC is set to the default level for a reason ;-)a

I guess my real issue is what has / could have changed?

As I stated, a complete fresh install on my desktop system still has this issue wheras an install on my wife's Win7 laptop runs with no issues (like my desktop system USED to) it's more than a little puzzling :(

sponsored links
Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 09, 2011 04:58 as a reply to  @ FarnhamBee's post |  #17

Actually there is a much easier way to do it.

Right click on the icon
go to properties
go to the compatibility tab
check box to run as admin

If you want to run as XP or any other MS OS, check the box to run as....and choose the specific OS from the drop down menu

I would aslo suggest to the OP that he run it as XP sp2 and see how it goes

Totally off topic, but worth spreading around. If you get a something like Skype not starting after update, go to the compatibility tab and see what it is set to. I am amazed at how many programs install themselves with "run as Xp sp2" checked. Just uncheck it as is most cases with the latest software version it is not needed, run the app again. Sometimes check "run as admin" is needed.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

FarnhamBee
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 09, 2011 05:31 |  #18

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #12562444 (external link)
Actually there is a much easier way to do it.

Right click on the icon
go to properties
go to the compatibility tab
check box to run as admin

If you want to run as XP or any other MS OS, check the box to run as....and choose the specific OS from the drop down menu

I would aslo suggest to the OP that he run it as XP sp2 and see how it goes

Thanks for taking the time to reply - that's essentially what I'm doing at the moment, maybe I could have explained it better :confused:

Here's the properties page - I get the same result whether either or both of the ticked boxes are ticked . . . that is, I'm still left with needing to respond to an extra message box before the app will run.

I can avoid seeing the User Account Control message BUT that only if I set UAC to 'Never Notify' which seems risky.

The bottom line is it used to work fine - even a complete fresh install on my desktop system has this issue wheras an install on my wife's Win7 laptop runs OK vmad

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

David ­ Ransley
673 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 09, 2011 16:14 |  #19

Strange thing is that I have none of that set and it works fine. Did you try and lower UAC one level to see if it goes away? If you know someone that works in an IT environment, and they qualify for Microsoft's MDOP programme. Ask him about using the Application Compatability Toolkit for you. They start the toolkit and run the app in question. It analyses the app and even has the ability to create a shim. Once installed, it normally solves these problems.

Will try and think of a way to locate the reason for you.

DRH

FarnhamBee
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 10, 2011 03:12 |  #20

David Ransley wrote in post #12565616 (external link)
Strange thing is that I have none of that set and it works fine. Did you try and lower UAC one level to see if it goes away? If you know someone that works in an IT environment, and they qualify for Microsoft's MDOP programme. Ask him about using the Application Compatability Toolkit for you. They start the toolkit and run the app in question. It analyses the app and even has the ability to create a shim. Once installed, it normally solves these problems.

Will try and think of a way to locate the reason for you.

Thanks again for your time David - if I try to remedy by lowering UAC it only makes a difference by setting to the lowest level.

I'll just plod on with having it set to XP compatibility mode & having to confirm each time it starts - it's not the end of the world!

I'm confident if I reinstall Win 7 it will be just fine (which I might get around to), as I said it used to work on my system & works just fine on my wife's laptop & your system - I can only think there's a conflict somewhere just can't seem to work out what it is!

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 10, 2011 06:46 |  #21

UAC is idiot proofing and, well, you only need it turned on if you qualify as an idiot. First thing I do is set it to the lowest level possible. The simple basic rule is this - if you don't know what a program on your computer is going to do, DON'T RUN IT. All UAC does is ask you if you are REALLY sure you want to run it - odds are if you double clicked on it you do in fact want to run it, so you are just going to click yes anyway. Eventually it becomes ineffective b/c you just click through it without thinking and it is just an annoyance. My advice - turn it off.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

FarnhamBee
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 11, 2011 05:17 |  #22

Keyan wrote in post #12568888 (external link)
UAC is idiot proofing and, well, you only need it turned on if you qualify as an idiot. First thing I do is set it to the lowest level possible. The simple basic rule is this - if you don't know what a program on your computer is going to do, DON'T RUN IT. All UAC does is ask you if you are REALLY sure you want to run it - odds are if you double clicked on it you do in fact want to run it, so you are just going to click yes anyway. Eventually it becomes ineffective b/c you just click through it without thinking and it is just an annoyance. My advice - turn it off.

Hmm - well yeah what you say is true of course - unfortunately the root of my question wasn't really about UAC but why the behaviour of EOS Utility has changed on my desktop system (even after a clean reinstall) yet works as it should on my wife's laptop & David Ransley's system.

Something must have changed / gone out of whack on my desktop system but I'm buggered if I can find what it is!

naddieuk
460 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 11, 2011 06:32 |  #23

I am having similar problems with Windows 7 64bit. I have a 350D. I had the EOS utility on my tower machine running Windows XP (32 bit) and everything works hunky dory. However, on Win 7 64 bit on my laptop, I am rather stuck. I noticed that it doesn't like "PC Connection", but even under PTP, EOS Utility fails miserably.

When I plug the camera in, EOS Utility disappears and does not come back. The camera shows the Busy signal on the LED and the red light is flashing constantly. As soon as I unplug the camera, then EOS Utility comes back on.

Is there a driver as such that I can use? Or would I have to use the VirtualBox and Win XP setup? The main reason I got a laptop was so then I can do tethered shooting.

I forgot to add that I added the Admin mode and the Windows XP (SP3) mode to the EOS utility.

Canon Powershot S95, Canon EOS 1000D attached to Skywatcher Explorer 150P on an EQ-3 unguided mount.
My Flickr site. (external link)

artyman
Sleepless in Hampshire
14,403 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 11, 2011 06:34 |  #24

I found the latest version of EOS utility din't recognise my 350D either under Windows XP or on my latest machine running W7

Art that takes you there. http://www.artyman.co.​uk (external link)
Ken
Canon 7D, 350D, 15-85, 18-55, 75-300, Cosina 100 Macro, Sigma 120-300

lpaige
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 16, 2011 21:03 |  #25

nate42nd wrote in post #12495243 (external link)
EOS utility works fine with Windows 7. If you go to your camera on Canon's site then go down to drivers and software.....choose Windows 7 and get the latest version from there. It works great. You might need a patch if you have been using XP or something.

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …el_t1i#DriversA​ndSoftware (external link)

I have a Rebel Xsi and am using an HP Pavillion with Windows 7 64-bit operating system. I just shot some images in RAW format and I can't view them on my computer. I've tried everything. I tried Bridge, I downloaded the DNG converter, adobe patch installer, adobe application manager, and the Canon RAW codec (with which i get a message the software does not support the screen resolution, please change to 1024x768, which it is already set to.) i also tried your link above, which took me to the Rebel T - something, not Xsi, and when I went to my camera, the only thing it lists for downloads is SDK. Oh, of course i tried the CD that came with the camera, as well, and I get the screen resolution message.

HELP! Is there anything I can do? I can't get good reds or yellows with this camera -- I'd like to try shooting raw. But maybe it's impossible with my current set-up. What do you think? :cry:

Thanks,
Laurie

l7s4
217 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 17, 2011 14:39 |  #26

Laurie....try this link: http://www.usa.canon.c​om …el_xsi#DriversA​ndSoftware (external link).

Another thread I read recently here about problems installing software indicated that the user solved the problem by changing the color depth from 32 bit to 16 bit.

But, a bit of clarification...In order to install the Canon sw downloaded from their website, you either have to install ZoomBrowser or do a win registry hack to trick the install program.

If I understand it correctly, the Eos Utility will call ZoomBrowser to download images and use DPP for processing the RAW images. Personally, I use ZB to dl and open DPP directly to process and then convert them to jpg format.

There may, in fact, be an issue with your Xsi/450D and win7 in regard to the EOS Utility. But you should not have an issue with ZB or DPP, nor have I seen any reference to problems with Canon's RAW codec here.

Pls update your progress.

Good luck, Paul

lpaige
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 19, 2011 22:31 |  #27

Hi Paul,
Thanks i will try that. i just found your message today -- i have in the meantime been installing ITunes on my notebook -- and guess what? I get the same message from ITunes. Something like, "this program works best with a screen resolution of 1026x780...." But I just click the continue button and it works fine. For the photos I couldn't open, I finally just downloaded Picassa. Although it is very clunky and can only do a crude kind of color tweaking, it worked well enough to adjust the photos for Facebook. I want to solve this issue though, so I will try tomorrow and update you. (Oh, and i too have found almost nothing on this issue anywhere. It's frustrating!)
Thanks!
Laurie

naddieuk
460 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 20, 2011 03:15 |  #28

I have managed to get a roundabout way of getting the camera to work under 64 bit version of Windows. I installed VirtualBox (formally Sun, now Oracle), then I downloaded Linux Mint, and installed it as a virtual machine. I tried Ubuntu, but that would not work with the camera, it would detect it, but would not interact with it.

I shut down the Linux Mint virtual machine with Virtual Box still running. I then plugged in the camera (as PC Connection) and then under settings for the virtual machine, I went to the USB devices and added the Canon camera. I then did OK. This now tells Virtual Box that if the camera is connected, then it should be added to the Linux Mint Virtual machine.

Anyway, I then installed gtKam from Linux Mint and that interacted properly. I managed to get it downloading from the camera, albeit replicating the camera directory structure. I then noticed that I could capture an image, and that worked. In order to see the photos, I used Fspot that will arrange the images by date and shows the raw images. I hope this is helpful for some.

Canon Powershot S95, Canon EOS 1000D attached to Skywatcher Explorer 150P on an EQ-3 unguided mount.
My Flickr site. (external link)

sponsored links

9,165 views & 0 likes for this thread
EOS Utility & Windows7
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.