Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 09 Jun 2011 (Thursday) 15:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Camera/Lens bag for Hawaii?

aboss3
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 09, 2011 15:17 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

Looking at the huge selections of camera bags, I'm lost in trying to chose an appropriate bag for a trip to Hawaii. I will have a 5D2 body, a wide zoom, a prime, and probably a telephoto. I'm afraid that there will be some rains on my hikes/trips. And I only have a Crumpler 5MDH at my disposal.
Can anyone suggest a nice travel bag that is also weather-sealed somewhat?

Gear | My gear is changing faster than I can update the signature
VoyageEyewear (external link)

sponsored links
Saint728
Goldmember
2,892 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 09, 2011 21:56 |  #2

Not sure but it isn't good to carry your camera around in a bag or backpack while hiking as it is hard to get it out if you want to take a picture. When I go hiking, I use my Cotton Carrier or Capture Camera Clip System on my Camelbak. I store an extra lens in my Camelbak along with all my snacks and 3 liters of water. It doesn't really downpour that much if ever only an occasional sprinkle.

Take Care,
Cheers, Patrick

Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III | 17-40mm f/4.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | 300mm f/4.0L IS
Click Here To See My Gear
Click here to see my Flickr (external link)
http://www.runryder.co​m/helicopter/gallery/9​019/ (external link)

328iGuy
Goldmember
3,623 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2004

Jun 09, 2011 22:09 as a reply to  @ Saint728's post |  #3

Well I can't speak from experience on the 5MDH, but I own the 7MDH and can't say enough GREAT things about it. I love it!

I however also own the Thinktank Streetwalker HardDrive as well for when I want to take ALL of my gear, and again it is fantabulous! :lol::cool:

EOS R5 | EOS R6 | EF 8-15L | RF 15-35L 2.8 | RF 24-70L 2.8 | RF 85L 1.2 | RF 70-200L 2.8 | RF 100-500L

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,180 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jun 09, 2011 22:10 |  #4

Kata access 18, it worked well on the plane, stores a ton, or the h16, both very good hip bags, both come with raincoats.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Exposure101
555 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 09, 2011 22:50 |  #5

I have a Flipside 200 that I used to carry a camera body, 50mm, 70-200mm and 24-70mm (attached) while in Jamaica a few years back. I carried it while climbing the Dunn's River Falls. My equipment was perfectly fine. You can also go with the Lowepro mini trekker (AW??). If it's just a body with an attached lens and 2 additional lenses, there are plenty All-Weather models that you can choose from on lowepro.com. Gluck!

aboss3
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 10, 2011 16:45 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

OK, so what would be better for hiking trips: backpack or a messenger-type bag (i.e. Crumpler 5MDH)?

jnaks
474 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 10, 2011 16:49 |  #7

if you're going hiking here, definitely the backpack. Though I have taken my Tamrac 9x on many hikes up Diamond Head with the same type of gear -- though the more intense hikes will probably err towards the backpack (use the Kata 466i myself) because of the better weight distribution (especially with a waist cinch). Messenger bags kinda knife into the shoulder and get annoying knocking your legs/body when hiking -- there are a few hikes you shouldn't have something unbalanced swinging around your center of gravity.

If you can read this, you don't need a macro | 7D + 5DIII + Waaaay too much spent....

aboss3
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 10, 2011 18:02 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

OK, Ordered Kata DR-467i!!! :))) Time for some hiking now to test it out 0)

jnaks
474 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 10, 2011 18:05 |  #9

I hope you went to Amazon. They have a discount they're running till the end of the month iirc plus Kata has a $15 rebate on the 467i

If you can read this, you don't need a macro | 7D + 5DIII + Waaaay too much spent....

sponsored links

1,338 views & 0 likes for this thread
Camera/Lens bag for Hawaii?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.