Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 09 Jun 2011 (Thursday) 22:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Qs for Basketball Photographers

Markd102
648 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined May 2011

Jun 09, 2011 22:47 |  #1

What focal length lens do you prefer?
I tried my 70-200 on a 7D, which gives me 112mm at its widest, and found it was too long.

Also, where in the stadium do you like to shoot from?

sponsored links
JOEinSD
315 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 09, 2011 23:12 |  #2

I'm sure most would say they like shooting from baseline; I do.

Hello, my name is Joe if you haven't figured it out. :D | www.creativecapture.ne​t | (external link)www.facebook.com/creat​ivecapturevideos (external link)http://www.creativecap​ture.net (external link)

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 09, 2011 23:44 as a reply to  @ JOEinSD's post |  #3

Basketball pictures from a Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 lens and a Canon T2i.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Focal Length: 75.0mm
Aperture: f/2.8
Exposure Time: 0.0040 s (1/250)
ISO equiv: 3200
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: shutter priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Manual
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Focal Length: 70.0mm
Exposure Time: 0.0020 s (1/500)
White Balance: Auto

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Focal Length: 89.0mm
Exposure Time: 0.0031 s (1/320)

In an area where basketball is king and thousands of games are played each season, the most frequent single-lens photographic solution for the sport is a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens. If there's a trick to using this lens for basketball, it's to position yourself where the lens is most useful -- typically at an endline corner, as done in these examples, where the action can be properly framed at both ends of the court.

There are basketball photographers who prefer a two-camera approach, having a 70-200mm f/2.8 mounted on one camera body and a wider lens on a second camera body. However, some of the busiest basketball photographers in this area, people who take pictures for money and bring their own strobes to games, use only a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens. One prefers the endline corner, while another always positions himself in the center of the free throw lane. All are satisfied with the lens' field of view.

Effectivepull
117 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 10, 2011 00:01 |  #4

Yup, the 70-200 on my 7D is a bit too tight when sitting under the basket (at least for me). Moving out to the corner will help. I prefer either a 50mm or 24-70 on my 7D when sitting under the basket.

scottwuphotography.com (external link) 500px (external link); Google+ (external link)
Canon 7D, S95

sun5150
160 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 10, 2011 00:05 |  #5

I shoot baseline to the side of the basket.
I bring 70-200 and 24-70 .

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,083 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 10, 2011 00:40 |  #6

I owned, but didn't bring the 70-200 f/2.8L IS to HS games at all. Gyms to dark to get fast enough shutter speeds. Not because it's too long at 70mm, but I found it too cumbersome to track and get good shots due the weight of the 7D, grip loaded with two batteries and an 8" lead pipe hanging off the front of the 7D.

Someone mentioned at 24-70. I've seen others shoot HS basketball with that lens as well. I haven't because again, the f/2.8 usually means really high ISO settings while shooting ambient light only.

What worked best for me was the 85mm f/1.8 or the 50mm f/1.4 if I wanted wider shots. Standard settings for HS basketball are 1/640 on the shutter, (note: I don't even like to go to 1/500) f/2 on the lens and ISO 2500 is about standard in most gyms. The best lit gyms the 1/640 and f/2 require ISO 1250, a poorly lit gym can be up to ISO 4000.

With an 85mm f/1.8, I could sit right where the baseline and sideline met and get great shots from the 3-point line to the basket all night long.

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

Markd102
THREAD ­ STARTER
648 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 10, 2011 01:01 as a reply to  @ snyderman's post |  #7

I could try the nifty 50 I spose, but I worry about its rep for focus problems in low light.
Might be time to save for the 50 1.4L

Effectivepull
117 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 10, 2011 01:06 |  #8

I've tried the nifty 50 (1.8) and didn't have focus problems.

scottwuphotography.com (external link) 500px (external link); Google+ (external link)
Canon 7D, S95

dwarrenr
Goldmember
1,650 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 10, 2011 05:49 |  #9

I only shoot basketball strobed so the 2.8 if really to wide. But I'll bring my 24-70 and my 70-200. I'll set on the baseline. But I've found 80% of my shots will come from the 24-70. Towards the end of the season I just stopped using the 70-200 all together and only shot with the 24-70.

The problem with the 50 (or so I've heard) is that it does not focus as fast as say the 24-70 and 70-200. Depending where you can set and if there is enough room, you could look at the 80mm 1.8. I have several gyms that I could use that at as they have a lot of room between the baseline and the wall/bleachers.

D. Warren Robison
"All guys feel the need to compensate. Most compensate with sports cars. I compensate with a 400mm 2.8"
Flickr (external link) - Home Page (external link) - MaxPreps Gallery - (external link)Razzi (external link)
Equipment List

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 10, 2011 05:49 |  #10

Markd102 wrote in post #12568290 (external link)
I could try the nifty 50 I spose, but I worry about its rep for focus problems in low light.

Basketball pictures from a Canon 50mm f/1.8 II lens.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Focal Length: 50.0mm
Aperture: f/2.0
Exposure Time: 0.0010 s (1/1000)
ISO equiv: 2000
GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Aperture: f/1.8
Exposure Time: 0.0010 s (1/1000)
ISO equiv: 1000
Exposure Bias: +0.33 EV
White Balance: Manual

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Aperture: f/2.0
Exposure Time: 0.0016 s (1/640)

The Canon 50mm f/1.8 II has worked well at actual basketball games.

Cozmocha
728 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 10, 2011 09:05 |  #11

50D + 50mm 1.8

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2455/5773520162_87f5520cce_z.jpg

The thing is that the AF of the 50 1.8 will slow down your burst rate a bit and sometimes can be unaccurate. I notice I big different between the 50 and 85 1.8 in the amount of sharp photos and burst rate.

-Kurt
www.kurtriversphoto.co​m (external link) || http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/kurtrivers (external link)

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Jun 12, 2011 21:55 |  #12

70-200 f/2.8 almost exclusively with strobes.

I sit behind the baseline over to the right side (when facing the court). Sometimes I will move to the left side for a quarter. I have also used the 300 f/2.8 on the 7D to shoot the far end of the court. Whew! Sometimes it is hard for me to figure out who has the ball, and by that time they are coming back to my end of the court. Gets comical when I have the wrong camera in my hands. I have to stop and watch one play to get back in sync.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

Markd102
THREAD ­ STARTER
648 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 13, 2011 01:40 |  #13

Strobes?
WOW. I didn't think it would be allowed. Thought they'd be too distracting for the players.
I assume you'd need permission?

primoz
POTN Sports Photographer of the year 2005
2,532 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jun 13, 2011 01:46 |  #14

For me 70-200 is only way to go. And even that not on 70mm range but somewhere from 150 to 200mm. It's on 1d so it gives you 1.3x instead of 1.6x but still. Normally I shoot from baseline, not straight under basket, since there's space for TV cams and we are not allowed to be there, but on one side of basket. Personally I don't like wide shots (and neither do agencies and newspapers), so I don't have problems with being too long ;)

PhotoSI (external link) | Latest sport photos (external link)http://www.photo.si (external link)

dwarrenr
Goldmember
1,650 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 13, 2011 05:28 |  #15

Markd102 wrote in post #12583654 (external link)
Strobes?
WOW. I didn't think it would be allowed. Thought they'd be too distracting for the players.
I assume you'd need permission?

I've never had a problem shooting at a gym with strobes. If I'm shooting at a gym I've never shot before, I'll tell the AD that I will be shooting with strobes and if any of the coaches or ref's ask me to stop I will stop. Never been a problem as long as they are setup high enough, it will not be an issue. Shoot I've seen news paper photogs even shooting with a flash on the their shoe. They have not even stoped them.

D. Warren Robison
"All guys feel the need to compensate. Most compensate with sports cars. I compensate with a 400mm 2.8"
Flickr (external link) - Home Page (external link) - MaxPreps Gallery - (external link)Razzi (external link)
Equipment List

sponsored links

3,932 views & 0 likes for this thread
Qs for Basketball Photographers
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.