Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 10 Jun 2011 (Friday) 12:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Offtopic question: is $1010 "shipped" a good price for a BNIB 17-55mm IS USM?

ssabripo
116 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 10, 2011 12:11 |  #1

"local" guy (about 1.5 hours away) got one as a gift, but he's not budging lower than $1010 shipped or $1000 net to him. He said it's sealed, brand new USA model, etc.

B&H is going for $1120 shipped, but I don't know if ~$100 is worth having to deal with headaches if something is not right.

any ideas?

sorry if it's the wrong forum to post this...

sponsored links
Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 10, 2011 12:13 |  #2

I would spend the extra $100 and get it brand new, with warranty. Canon USA warranties do not "transfer" even if it is brand new, never opened. YOUR name must be on the sales receipt.

Plus, you can find those lenses used on here for $100 or even more cheaper. With very light use, minty.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

tylerpaulphoto
319 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 10, 2011 12:14 |  #3

I would say its a good price it its sealed... I would request for pictures of the box sealed and every thing. but its a three hour drive at $4 a gallon for you have to figure out how much gas and your time is worth. I would just order it online.

Gear

DarkMeans
413 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 10, 2011 12:14 |  #4

I would say not. B&H has refurbs for the same price.
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …F_S_17_55mm_f_2​_8_IS.html (external link)

Gear and Feedback

DarkMeans
413 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 10, 2011 12:16 |  #5

Invertalon wrote in post #12570432 (external link)
I would spend the extra $100 and get it brand new, with warranty. Canon USA warranties do not "transfer" even if it is brand new, never opened. YOUR name must be on the sales receipt.

Plus, you can find those lenses used on here for $100 or even more cheaper. With very light use, minty.

I've never had problems with this. They will gladly go off of the date code if you have a brand new lens (UZ) but no receipt. It's easy to just say that the sales receipt got lost in a move, you had a fire, flood, tornado, etc. There are plenty of reasons that someone would not have a sales receipt.

They will warrant it for anyone until Jan 1st, 2012.

Gear and Feedback

DarkMeans
413 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 10, 2011 12:27 |  #6

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1052940

Gear and Feedback

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 10, 2011 12:52 |  #7

For $100 I'd be tempted to go new from a reputable vendor. To me, that's not enough savings to outweigh any potential issues that could arise from buying private party.

jcho
41 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 10, 2011 12:59 |  #8

I've also never had a problem getting warranty service without receipt. The lens could have been a gift so not sure if the name on the receipt matters too much.

ssabripo
THREAD ­ STARTER
116 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 10, 2011 15:07 as a reply to  @ DarkMeans's post |  #9

DarkMeans wrote in post #12570438 (external link)
I would say not. B&H has refurbs for the same price.
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …F_S_17_55mm_f_2​_8_IS.html (external link)

what's the warranty on B&H's refurb'd stuff? anyone know?

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 10, 2011 15:40 |  #10

If it's a factory refurb it should come with a 90 warranty. If it's used, than 30 day.

ShotByTom
Goldmember
2,985 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 10, 2011 17:10 |  #11

You can buy a used one for a LOT less than that. Personally I wouldn't buy a used 17-55 because they have a lot of issues...dust, IS and focus.

Gear
Website (external link)

MinhThien
Goldmember
1,641 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 10, 2011 18:32 |  #12

ssabripo wrote in post #12570414 (external link)
"local" guy (about 1.5 hours away) got one as a gift, but he's not budging lower than $1010 shipped or $1000 net to him. He said it's sealed, brand new USA model, etc.

B&H is going for $1120 shipped, but I don't know if ~$100 is worth having to deal with headaches if something is not right.

any ideas?

sorry if it's the wrong forum to post this...

Did you found this guy on CL? If so, do not trust anyone mention "AN UNWANTED GIFT" its a scam! who would be so nice to give someone a lens or anything over 1k? I rather paid an extra 100(or more) for a piece of mind!

Eric
5D IV | 35L II | 200L IS | 85L II | 430EX | 190CXPRO4 | 498RC2 | TT Streetwalker Roller| TT Restro 7 | F-stop Kenti |

Tealtele
318 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 10, 2011 18:41 |  #13

MinhThien wrote in post #12572321 (external link)
Did you found this guy on CL? If so, do not trust anyone mention "AN UNWANTED GIFT" its a scam! who would be so nice to give someone a lens or anything over 1k? I rather paid an extra 100(or more) for a piece of mind!

Definitely, plus someone who gets it as a gift is at least going to open the box to play with their $1k lens lol(he says it's "sealed" still). Unless they don't even own a camera, which makes even less sense as to why someone would buy them a $1k lens...

Just get a refurb, I always get canon refurbs when I can and they've always been flawless glass with a nice warranty. Much better than risking it with some schmo online that could just want to rob you out of a grand lol.

Mystwalker
608 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 10, 2011 19:01 |  #14

I would go with B&H/Adorama/Amazon/etc for $100 more.

For me, saving $100 is not worth risk of something going wrong with deal or something going wrong with lens.

artyH
Goldmember
2,093 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 10, 2011 19:21 |  #15

I wouldn't spend that much on a used lens, when you can get a new one for a little more. If the lens dies on you in 2 weeks, you are going to be upset, and your ability to resolve a problem like this will be much greater with a new lens from a reputable dealer - you just send it back.
Why would someone buy a really nice lens, never open the box to try it out, and then put it up for sale?

sponsored links

1,681 views & 0 likes for this thread
Offtopic question: is $1010 "shipped" a good price for a BNIB 17-55mm IS USM?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.