Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Jun 2011 (Wednesday) 10:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Nikon's Aperture Ring Vs Canon's Aperture Selection

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 08, 2011 16:48 |  #16

yogestee wrote in post #12557642 (external link)
Anyway, for those who don't know, the aperture selection is on the lens itself, between the focus ring and mount. It's just so damn easy to select the aperture compared to my 50D and 20D,, and other Canon DSLRs I've used/owned. I went home and my 50D felt so ungainly when selecting apertures.

In that case, you'll be displeased with every Canon DSLR currently sold.

The Canon EOS system (external link) deliberately discontinued the use of a separate aperture ring on the lens and put the aperture control in the camera body. Canon made the switch away from lens-mounted aperture rings at the same time the company introduced the EF lens mount, twenty-four years ago. (external link)

If you want aperture rings on your lenses, you'll need to stop using Canon EOS cameras. There's a good chance that you would be happier selling your EOS equipment and buying old Canon FD-mount cameras and lenses, since those lenses usually had aperture rings. Be aware, however, that most of those lenses also were manual focus only.

sponsored links
yogestee
THREAD ­ STARTER
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 08, 2011 19:57 |  #17

Mike Deep wrote in post #12558903 (external link)
Most cameras used to work this way before electronic apertures. It's not "Nikon's" aperture ring.

I've been in photography long enough to know this:D

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

Sp1207
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 08, 2011 20:08 |  #18

I much prefer a physical aperture ring as it allows you to use the lens adapted on other mounts.

Gear

kitacanon
Goldmember
4,706 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2006

Jun 08, 2011 20:44 |  #19

DC Fan wrote in post #12559589 (external link)
In that case, you'll be displeased with every Canon DSLR currently sold.

The Canon EOS system (external link) deliberately discontinued the use of a separate aperture ring on the lens and put the aperture control in the camera body. Canon made the switch away from lens-mounted aperture rings at the same time the company introduced the EF lens mount, twenty-four years ago. (external link)

If you want aperture rings on your lenses, you'll need to stop using Canon EOS cameras. There's a good chance that you would be happier selling your EOS equipment and buying old Canon FD-mount cameras and lenses, since those lenses usually had aperture rings. Be aware, however, that most of those lenses also were manual focus only.

The wonderful advantage for people with two hands is that they share the work and the work load on both sides of their brain...
...maybe it's just an advantage for people who regularly use both sides of their brain...not everyone does...

The beauty of alternatives...

IMAGE: http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/7757/30xt.jpg

I tried the 300/4.5 AIS on the bottom but realized that the focusing barrel/knurl on the older "H" was longer and closer to the aperture ring and so easier to operate together
IMAGE: http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/7837/haisbar.jpg

My Canon kit 450D/s90; Canon lenses 18-55 IS, 70-210/3.5-4.5....Nikon kit: D610; 28-105/3.5-4.5, 75-300/4.5-5.6 AF, 50/1.8D Nikkors, Tamron 80-210; MF Nikkors: 50/2K, 50/1.4 AI-S, 50/1.8 SeriesE, 60/2.8 Micro Nikkor (AF locked), 85mm/1.8K-AI, 105/2.5 AIS/P.C, 135/2.8K/Q.C, 180/2.8 ED, 200/4Q/AIS, 300/4.5H-AI, ++ Tamron 70-210/3.8-4, Vivitar/Kiron 28/2, ser.1 70-210/3.5, ser.1 28-90; Vivitar/Komine and Samyang 28/2.8; 35mm Nikon F/FM/FE2, Rebel 2K...HTC RE UWA camera

Mike ­ Deep
Goldmember
1,907 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 08, 2011 21:09 |  #20

yogestee wrote in post #12560486 (external link)
I've been in photography long enough to know this:D

Just posting for the benefit of all who may be reading ;)

mikedeep.com (external link) - rocket launch photography

yogestee
THREAD ­ STARTER
13,845 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 08, 2011 21:31 |  #21

Mike Deep wrote in post #12560868 (external link)
Just posting for the benefit of all who may be reading ;)

Mike,, I understand:D Thanks for your post.

For those who haven't tried shooting with a lens with a designated aperture ring, give it a go.. It's so damn simple..

Jurgen

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jun 08, 2011 21:40 |  #22

I still have all of what's in this photo and, from time to time, use the lenses on my Canon 20D.

IMAGE: http://www.skipd.artin.org/Nikon-Cameras.jpg

The 300 mm lens in my collection is the same as the upper one in the photo above.

By the way, I bought all this stuff in 1967.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

phreeky
Goldmember
3,499 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 08, 2011 23:19 |  #23

Damn old people! ;)

It is a little disappointing that because of the electronic control it's not possible to full utilise current Canon lenses on alternative bodies (i.e. the various mirrorless cameras getting around).

From a ergonomics PoV I don't particularly like the aperture ring as I rarely check what aperture I have set due to mentally tracking it, and when using lenses with the aperture rings I'll often knock them to something else without noticing.

roosterslayer
994 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 09, 2011 00:07 |  #24

if you're shooting nikon digital, the aperture ring has to be locked at f/22 or else you get an error message. so even if you do have an older AF-D lens it will perform just the same as a new lens on a digital body. Ai-S lenses are a different story though ;)

i personally like using my Takumar SMC 55 f/1.8. something about manual focusing feels just great.

flickr (external link)

Lester ­ Wareham
28,259 posts
Gallery: 3246 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 09, 2011 13:14 |  #25

I came from manual match needle Canon FD system, again aperture selection, the aperture selection on Canon EF bodies seemed odd but I soon adapted.

In fact if you think about it if you are manual focussing then you will need to swap between the focus ring and the aperture ring with the Nikon/FD traditional system.

On the EF system the left hand does focus, the right 2nd finger shutter speed, 1st finger shutter button and the thumb the aperture on the quick adjust dial on the back - is this not better?

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

yogestee
THREAD ­ STARTER
13,845 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 09, 2011 19:48 |  #26

Lester Wareham wrote in post #12564528 (external link)
On the EF system the left hand does focus, the right 2nd finger shutter speed, 1st finger shutter button and the thumb the aperture on the quick adjust dial on the back - is this not better?

Lester,, I have my Canon DSLRs set up where the quick control dials I can scroll through and adjust the focus points, with I change often and quickly.

When shooting in manual mode the main dial plus the magnify button adjusts my aperture.

Jurgen

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 09, 2011 19:50 |  #27

All old manual lenses have an aperture ring on the lens... If you like it, just get some manual lenses for your Canon :D

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

yogestee
THREAD ­ STARTER
13,845 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 09, 2011 20:09 |  #28

themadman wrote in post #12566700 (external link)
All old manual lenses have an aperture ring on the lens... If you like it, just get some manual lenses for your Canon :D

I still have a bag full of MF AI-S Nikkors ranging from 20mm to 300mm, some going back to the late 1970s. One day I'll adapt these to my Canon DSLRs,, if I can prize them from my niece who still shoots film.

Jurgen

Lester ­ Wareham
28,259 posts
Gallery: 3246 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 10, 2011 12:36 |  #29

yogestee wrote in post #12566690 (external link)
Lester,, I have my Canon DSLRs set up where the quick control dials I can scroll through and adjust the focus points, with I change often and quickly.

When shooting in manual mode the main dial plus the magnify button adjusts my aperture.

Right, I use the joy stick control for AF point selection (can't remember the Canon name) - of course that means the thumb is doing double duty.

Even in auto exposure the quick control is exposure comp.

These modern cameras as so complicated we will always run out of fingers. :rolleyes:

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

SaxonIV
768 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 10, 2011 13:09 |  #30

roosterslayer wrote in post #12561794 (external link)
if you're shooting nikon digital, the aperture ring has to be locked at f/22 or else you get an error message.

Yep I was going to say this as soon as I read the title. Just ran into this problem with my friends D90/50 1.8D, couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work. That was just the problem.

sponsored links

6,541 views & 0 likes for this thread
Nikon's Aperture Ring Vs Canon's Aperture Selection
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.