Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Jun 2011 (Sunday) 03:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Built In flash problem

norman2000
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 12, 2011 03:37 |  #1

Bought the 60D only this month. I used it twice already, both using the external 430EX II flash. The problem is when I tried to raise the pop up flash, it wont raise. I turned it off and on several times and removed the battery to refresh the memory but the same thing, it wont pop up. I tried to set the flash through the flash menu but it is saying that the external flash is still attached. i attached the flash and reset the flash setting but still it wont pop up after removing the external flash. Anybody experienced this before?

Canon 60D, EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Zoom Lens, 50MM 1.4 prime, 430EX II

sponsored links
cfvisuals
866 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 12, 2011 03:51 |  #2

It happened to me when i mounted my external flash units on it too often. Easy fix, use a pen stick it in the hotshoe place, force up the little blade. So what happens is that the sensor sits right under the little metal blade, and when you insert an external flash on the hotshoe and the flash unit mount will force the blade down and touch the sensor (That way the camera knows an external flash is attached). Now your blade is constantly touching the sensor because you mounted your flash on your camera too often or maybe left it on for too long, and that is what's keeping your flash from poping up. All you need to do is to force the blade back up by exerting a little pressure with a pen.

flickr (external link)
5∞ portfolio (external link)

macca172
267 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 12, 2011 03:58 |  #3

Common problem with the 60D, cant figure out why Canon does not do a recall and fix the ongoing problem?

Canon 5D MkII, 50D and 400D with Grip: Canon 70-200 2.8L: Sigma 120-400: Tamron 18-200and a few others!

Lone ­ Rider
Goldmember
1,349 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 12, 2011 04:06 |  #4

macca172 wrote in post #12578890 (external link)
Common problem with the 60D, cant figure out why Canon does not do a recall and fix the ongoing problem?

They don't things like that they used to do they.....maybe they've cut some corners to save on costs....:confused:

Trevor

norman2000
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 12, 2011 04:42 |  #5

Thanks a lot. Very helpful

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 12, 2011 07:00 |  #6

macca172 wrote in post #12578890 (external link)

It is a common problem with all Canon hotshoes and has been for a while..

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 12, 2011 09:35 as a reply to  @ Keyan's post |  #7

Happens with my 50D also.. I just don't use the built in flash.

Turn the camera off, slip your thumb nail between the top of the camera and flash cover and raise it a tad. Turn the camera back on, it should pop up..

Now the problem is, if the camera has been sitting around for a while, you'll hve to repeat the process.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

norman2000
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 13, 2011 02:19 |  #8

I used a thin flat scredriver to lift it. I think canon should address this issue. I wrote them and they were telling me to send the camera to them since it is still under warranty. I almost did if I had not checked this forum. Thank you again.

sponsored links

2,658 views & 0 likes for this thread
Built In flash problem
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.