Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 12 Jun 2011 (Sunday) 20:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fixed Bike, Biking and Photography -- Pics and Two Questions!

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 12, 2011 20:56 |  #1

Well, hey all!

Some of the Lounge regulars saw my "happy story" yesterday about having a bike fixed for an amazingly affordable price!

For those who haven't seen it, look here:

https://photography-on-the.net …p=12578126&post​count=3335

And then member jDizzle went and asked for pics...as if he didn't believe me:)!

Well, today I got some pics. I'll post 'em and I also have two questions, one about the bike, and one about photography and biking, so heads up!

The Bike: it is a Huffy Stone Mountain 18-speed 26" mountain bike, and after being resurrected it handles very nicely for street biking as well! So, here are a few of just the bike ( apologize in advance if my processing on my cheap little laptop leaves something to be desired):

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/135521466/original.jpg

First thing was to pick up a new lock -- it dawned on me to show that so I did this crop of the above pic and it looks like I was focused on the garage door!:

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/135521543/original.jpg

Gears for the gear heads:

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/135522259/original.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/135522260/original.jpg

Question 1:

And so once I got the bike home I took it out on the street. Like I said, it handles nicely. But, I also noticed that when slowing down from cruising speed the front brakes act loud and cranky! This wasn't noticeable when riding around the parking lot at the repair shop and had no relation to the rear wheel damage, so I certainly don't blame the shop guy.

My question is, is there a way for me to fiddle with some kind of adjustment or something on the brakes, or will it just have to wait until I can get it back to the shop?

Biking and Photography!

Ok, now to get serious about all this!

Up until now I had been happy loading a ton of gear in my car when going out to shoot -- I have several camera bags of various sizes. I could then pick and choose depending on what I decided to do. Then, I could load one or two bags with one or two bodies and lenses and such. And, I also have a nice, somewhat hefty photography backpack that I often load for extended walkarounds/hikes and it holds either my tripod or my monopod, which is nice.

Pics:

Here's the pack against the bike with the pick-and-choose support:

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/135522357/original.jpg

And the last pic, to give you an idea of scale, is the inside with my 1D3 with the 100-400 lens and the 1.4x TC attached, and to the side is my 16-35:

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/135522552/original.jpg

Question 2:

Okay, I'm definitely new to the idea of riding a bike to a photography destination! I look at the backpack and recall all the hikes, and wonder if trying that out on a bike would be a complete FAIL??!!

So, I'm asking you with some experience here, or maybe just an active brain, would I be crazy to even consider this load, at least until I am in good enough shape to go flyig all over any type of terrain without taking several spills an hour?

Opinions, experience, guffaws all welcome here -- after all this is the Lounge!

***************And Now, A Special Note!***************

First of all, we have now started a special dedicated photo sharing thread for those who are going to grab their cameras, hop on their bikes and get going and shooting! So, check out Bikography -- The Biking Photog In Action! and get yourself out there and be a biking photographer!

And -- it's been a couple weeks since I posted this and started this thread, and this thread has taken off, along with my enthusiasm for being a Biking Photographer!

As a result, I started a gallery in my PBase photo sharing site, The Biking Photog Gallery (external link) -- check it out!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links
FJ ­ LOVE
Cream of the Crop
20,883 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 12, 2011 21:13 |  #2

hi Tony, i don't think i've ever seen a splatter paint paintjob on a bike before that's unique, nice that your mobile again

i don't cycle so i'm not much help with carrying the backpack idea but a few hour in on the bike you should know if you feel confident

i'm sure there is room for mounting your tripod on one of the bikes frame rails so that shouldn't be a problem, a couple of bungee balls should work

https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=12577841&p​ostcount=8

https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=12573383&p​ostcount=4

https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=12573686&p​ostcount=5

DILLIGAF about your bicycle or your gear

Fricks
Cream of the Crop
23,039 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 12, 2011 21:51 |  #3

jDizzle has no idea what he talking about....:p:lol:

Belmondo
Cream of the Crop
42,735 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Jun 12, 2011 21:56 as a reply to  @ Fricks's post |  #4

Brake pads can get hard, so depending on how old they are, you might want to replace them.

Logic says the pad should be perfectly parallel to the rim, but that's not optimum. Adjust the pads so the front of the pad touches the rim first. Just a degree or two of angle is enough. Anything more is too much. Brakes should be smooth and progressive, and never noisy.

I'm not short. I'm concentrated awesome!

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 12, 2011 21:57 |  #5

FJ LOVE wrote in post #12582620 (external link)
hi Tony, i don't think i've ever seen a splatter paint paintjob on a bike before that's unique, nice that your mobile again

i don't cycle so i'm not much help with carrying the backpack idea but a few hour in on the bike you should know if you feel confident

i'm sure there is room for mounting your tripod on one of the bikes frame rails so that shouldn't be a problem, a couple of bungee balls should work

https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=12577841&p​ostcount=8

https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=12573383&p​ostcount=4

https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=12573686&p​ostcount=5

Hey Martin, good idea, I'll have to work on that!

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 12, 2011 21:58 |  #6

Fricks wrote in post #12582759 (external link)
jDizzle has no idea what he talking about....:p:lol:

Heh! Jake, if you're lucky, you might be on his ignore list by now:)!

Tony

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 12, 2011 22:02 |  #7

Belmondo wrote in post #12582780 (external link)
Brake pads can get hard, so depending on how old they are, you might want to replace them.

Logic says the pad should be perfectly parallel to the rim, but that's not optimum. Adjust the pads so the front of the pad touches the rim first. Just a degree or two of angle is enough. Anything more is too much. Brakes should be smooth and progressive, and never noisy.

Thanks, Tom!

I guess the thing will just be to get it back in the shop. The problem is that what was a nice reasonably quick and easy car ride would, in my shape, be a long arduous bike ride until I'm fit enough in this stuff!

So, I guess I'll wait until the ex shows up again and then give the shop a call and see if they can help out.

Tony

Fricks
Cream of the Crop
23,039 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 12, 2011 22:05 |  #8

tonylong wrote in post #12582787 (external link)

:lol::lol:

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 12, 2011 22:07 |  #9

Funny, to me on this laptop these photos seem a bit bright. I wasn't being "fussy" about the exposure, I shot in Manual and just metered and exposed the pavement at "medium". I guess they turned out OK in that nothing got "messed up" but these laptop screens can be a challenge!

Tony

FJ ­ LOVE
Cream of the Crop
20,883 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 12, 2011 22:08 |  #10

i have friends like that too :D

DILLIGAF about your bicycle or your gear

Fricks
Cream of the Crop
23,039 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 12, 2011 22:09 |  #11

FJ LOVE wrote in post #12582833 (external link)

i i know i have met them;)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 12, 2011 22:19 |  #12

Hehe! You guys are hilarious. Tom is right about brake pads getting hard over time from storage. The compound gets hard and causes the braking to be squeeky and loud! So, the remedy is to change the pads. :):)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 12, 2011 22:19 |  #13

FJ LOVE wrote in post #12582833 (external link)

Fricks wrote in post #12582839 (external link)
i i know i have met them;)

Ignored!! :rolleyes::lol::p

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 12, 2011 22:38 |  #14

jdizzle wrote in post #12582896 (external link)
Hehe! You guys are hilarious. Tom is right about brake pads getting hard over time from storage. The compound gets hard and causes the braking to be squeeky and loud! So, the remedy is to change the pads. :):)

Well, Julian, thanks for not ignoring me!

And, you know, this dang thread was your dang idea, and nobody has ignored you for starting it:)!

And, thanks for the confirmation on the break pads -- I'll call the shop and try to set something up!

What do you guys think of Martin's idea of bungee-cording the tripod/monopod to the frame? It seems like it could "lighten the load" on that backpack considerably!

Tony

Belmondo
Cream of the Crop
42,735 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Jun 12, 2011 22:40 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #15

Helmet cam!!

I'm not short. I'm concentrated awesome!

sponsored links

25,522 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fixed Bike, Biking and Photography -- Pics and Two Questions!
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.