Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Jun 2011 (Sunday) 03:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

50D FOCUSING PROBLEM

macca172
267 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 12, 2011 03:34 |  #1

Greetings, Used my 50D last weekend and after I downloaded the shots, I noted that they were all out of focus? Did some tests with some of the various lenses in my kit(Tamron 18-200mm, Sigma 120-400mm, Canon 28-135mm, Canon L Series 70-200mm etc etc) and the problem continued. It gives the appearance of being camera shake, however most of the test shots were taken utlizing a tripod and being remotely fired. I have attached a couple of the test shots. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks, Macca

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 5D MkII, 50D and 400D with Grip: Canon 70-200 2.8L: Sigma 120-400: Tamron 18-200and a few others!

sponsored links
yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 12, 2011 09:42 |  #2

Macca,, I checked out the EXIF on your first pic.

Model = Canon EOS 50D
Exposure Time = 1/60"
F Number = F5.6
Focal Length = 297mm

How sturdy is your tripod? A wobbly tripod is sometimes worse than handholding. Also, did you support (by hand) the lens/camera while shooting?

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 12, 2011 11:12 |  #3

It's great that you included some examples... too often people don't do that and it's pretty impossible to give advice. Are these 100% crops? I'm guessing they are, or something close to it.

I agree with Jurgen that the first example could easily be camera shake at that focal length... especially if that's a non-IS/OS lens... even on a tripod.

The second example could be camera shake too... 1/100 at 73mm is pushing your luck a bit on a crop camera. Why not use a higher ISO to get a faster shutter speed and be safer? (It's at 160). I notice the second file is titled "Monopod", too... was it shot on a tripod or monopod?

Of course, we don't know your experience and skill levels, just what you've told us so far.... Could be you have been shooting with the camera for years, know all the tricks to get accurate focus, are using perfect techniques and just that the camera's AF is a bit out of calibration. Or are you new to this camera and using an autofocus SLR?

Before sending it in to be checked I'd check my setup first, that I don't have something set incorrectly... and clean the lens-to-camera contacts (dampen a clean, lint free rag with a little isopropyl/rubbing alcohol and carefully wipe the contacts... that's all that is usually needed).

What focusing mode and methods are you using? One Shot? AI Servo? Live View? Single focus point? All Points? Back Button Focusing? Etc.?

Some more info might help us help you.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

macca172
THREAD ­ STARTER
267 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 12, 2011 13:55 |  #4

Guys,
Thank you very much for getting back to me. A wealth of information given. The two shots supplied as an example were only two of approx 200 I shot for test purposes, both in the auto and creative selections and various other settings, all to no avail. I just plucked out two of them so to speak for example purposes. None of the shots shave been cropped, straight out of the camera. With the focusing mode, I have covered all selections, once again to no avail. Contacts have been cleaned with isopropyl. I am getting the feeling the processor in the camera had died? Once again thank you for the wealth of information and advice. My level of experience is medium and my 50D has approx shot 30K in the last two years I have had it, never before have I had any focusing problems? Macca

Canon 5D MkII, 50D and 400D with Grip: Canon 70-200 2.8L: Sigma 120-400: Tamron 18-200and a few others!

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 13, 2011 02:24 |  #5

You are using long lens with no IS at slow SS and expect to have a sharp image? The first example is clearly camera shake. The tripod used obviously is not stable enough to support the lens and camera. Also looks to me to be in a lower light situation. Try shooting some other subjects in broad daylight handheld using the 1/focal length shutter speed and post some new shots.

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

macca172
THREAD ­ STARTER
267 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 13, 2011 02:37 |  #6

Tony, Thank you for your input, however it has been confirmed that the 50D has a processor problem and more than likely I am advised, will required a complete processor replacement. We hitched up a 400D to the same lenses, TV, AV, subjects and light conditions and the shots turn out without a tad of focus blur. I agree with you that the first example appeared to be camera shake, however in the example shown, it is the dodgey processor giving that appearance. Luckily I took out an extended four year warranty when I initially bought the 50D, hence I will not be out of pocket. Regards, Macca

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 13, 2011 04:11 |  #7

macca172 wrote in post #12583797 (external link)
Tony, Thank you for your input, however it has been confirmed that the 50D has a processor problem and more than likely I am advised, will required a complete processor replacement. We hitched up a 400D to the same lenses, TV, AV, subjects and light conditions and the shots turn out without a tad of focus blur. I agree with you that the first example appeared to be camera shake, however in the example shown, it is the dodgey processor giving that appearance. Luckily I took out an extended four year warranty when I initially bought the 50D, hence I will not be out of pocket. Regards, Macca

so you have sent it to Canon to confirm a "processor problem" ?

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 13, 2011 16:06 |  #8

macca172 wrote in post #12583797 (external link)

Sucks the hear the processor is blown :confused: Hope everything gets fixed up soon and get back to using this amazing camera :)

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

macca172
THREAD ­ STARTER
267 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 13, 2011 17:11 |  #9

Watt, Yes confirmed, I was at the Canon authorised service centre yesterday and they bench tested the 50D while I was there! Not that rare apparently.

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,583 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 13, 2011 17:50 |  #10

Yeah, that second shot looks like there's something bad in the system...you'd be pretty hard pressed to get that look with all of the poor technique in the world. Glad to hear that they're going to get it taken care of for you, though.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

sponsored links

4,968 views & 0 likes for this thread
50D FOCUSING PROBLEM
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.