Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 13 Jun 2011 (Monday) 23:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I Need a Critique

sierrarisse
28 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 13, 2011 23:40 |  #1

This photo of a black bear was taken with a 7D and Sigma 50-500 lens. The focal length was 500 MM and camera settings were 1/320 @ F/5.6 with ISO @ 400. Any suggestions on how to improve the image quality? In the original image when viewing at 75% and up it is soft and noisy.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
MrJack787
234 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 14, 2011 03:08 |  #2

Is it cool if I take a shot at it?

EOS 5D Mark II - EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM - EF 50mm f/1.4 USM - EF 40mm f/2.8 STM - Speedlite 600EX-RT - Alien Bees B800 x2

www.bendawsonphotograp​hy.com (external link)

NeutronBoy
Goldmember
2,049 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 14, 2011 04:59 |  #3

part of your problem is focal length (500) is exceeding 1/shutter speed (320). This can make your photo more prone to the effects of motion while capturing the image. At that focal length you should have tried to be at least 1/500 or faster on the shutter speed. Not doing so can lead to soft/blurry shots.

5D Mark II, 40D, 350d
Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS II L | Canon 100-400 IS L [COLOR=black]| Canon 24-70 L | Canon 100mm Macro f2.8 | Canon 50 f1.4| Canon 10-22 | Canon MP-E 65 | Rokinon 14mm f2.8 | Sigma 17 - 70 macro
MT-24 & 430 flashes | other junk

Tneuville
186 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 14, 2011 05:48 |  #4

holy cow! I would of been running in the other direction! great shot...
As far as technically... i agree with the above...

I dont shoot with a Canon, I just really like it here :)
Nikon D90, Nikon D7000.. 18-105 kit lens, Nikon 35mm prime lens, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Nikon 105mm macro/prime speedlight 600, 5-in-one reflector.... PSE9 editing software

CJ ­ Joe
34 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 14, 2011 09:51 |  #5

The post above is correct. Rule of thumb, don't let your focal length exceed your shutter speed. shooting at 500mm, get your shutter speed at 1/500 or faster. In this case opening up the aperture is OK, you're focusing on the bear's face.

Joe
Canon EOS 5D + BG-E4 grip / EF 17-40 4.0L USM / EF 24-70 2.8L USM / EF 70-200 4.0L USM

Shockey
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 14, 2011 09:54 |  #6

Increase contrast a bit and black point.
That lens likes tripods, lots of light and f8...you probably already knew that.

sierrarisse
THREAD ­ STARTER
28 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 14, 2011 20:55 |  #7

NeutronBoy wrote in post #12590223 (external link)
part of your problem is focal length (500) is exceeding 1/shutter speed (320). This can make your photo more prone to the effects of motion while capturing the image. At that focal length you should have tried to be at least 1/500 or faster on the shutter speed. Not doing so can lead to soft/blurry shots.

Thank you for the information, I thought because it was on a tripod the slower shutter would be fine. It makes total sense!

sierrarisse
THREAD ­ STARTER
28 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 14, 2011 20:58 |  #8

Shockey wrote in post #12591235 (external link)

I did not know this, if you have any other suggestions I would love to here them. Thank you!

sierrarisse
THREAD ­ STARTER
28 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 14, 2011 21:03 |  #9

Tneuville wrote in post #12590318 (external link)
holy cow! I would of been running in the other direction! great shot...
As far as technically... i agree with the above...

It was in a cow pasture and by the size probably ate a few of em! Thank you for the info and humor!

sierrarisse
THREAD ­ STARTER
28 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 14, 2011 21:27 |  #10

Shockey wrote in post #12591235 (external link)

Shockey, can you explain something to me, if the lens likes f8, would I be better off to set it on aperture priority and leave it while shooting at 500mm? It would force me to increase the ISO which is more noise. Would it help the softness?

foxhound
795 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 14, 2011 22:55 |  #11

sierrarisse wrote in post #12595072 (external link)
Shockey, can you explain something to me, if the lens likes f8, would I be better off to set it on aperture priority and leave it while shooting at 500mm? It would force me to increase the ISO which is more noise. Would it help the softness?

To be honest the camera that your using should be capable of kicking out good usable images at iso 1600 and some at 3200 if you expose them well enough, i've even had and seen other's produce nice shots at 6400, so don't be affraid of bumping the iso up, with iso numbers like this you could quite easily set your f stop to f/8 , but if you feel more comfortable av mode put it in av mode , after all thats why the camera has it :cool:

Canon 1D mk3 7D Gripped, [COLOR=Black]40D Gripped, XT Gripped, G10, 100-400L 70-200 2.8L 24-70L 50mm 1.8mk11
28-105 Canon 580 exII
FLICKR (external link)

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 15, 2011 00:28 |  #12

The image looks acceptably sharp to me - no obvious camera shake - so it looks like the tripod did the trick. Hand held rule is fine - 1/focal length - but it is a suggestion. If you can hold it steady at less than that go for it. Just know your limitations.

Being able to maintain composure with a bear coming at you would add a bit of adrenalin to my system so I think you did quite well here.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

Shockey
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 15, 2011 09:52 |  #13

Yes when I am using mine I leave it on f8, since for me no other aperture yields acceptable results.
If you are bumping your iso to shoot there, make sure you take nice bright exposures so you don't have to increase exposure in edit which creates a lot of noise.

Since the image is acceptably sharp at normal viewing distance, who cares if looks blurry at 75 and 100%. Most images look like crap zoomed in that much.

sierrarisse
THREAD ­ STARTER
28 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 15, 2011 23:23 |  #14

Shockey wrote in post #12597425 (external link)
Yes when I am using mine I leave it on f8, since for me no other aperture yields acceptable results.
If you are bumping your iso to shoot there, make sure you take nice bright exposures so you don't have to increase exposure in edit which creates a lot of noise.

Since the image is acceptably sharp at normal viewing distance, who cares if looks blurry at 75 and 100%. Most images look like crap zoomed in that much.

Thank you all for the excellent tips, I'm looking forward to trying them out this weekend!

sierrarisse
THREAD ­ STARTER
28 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 22, 2011 23:02 |  #15

Shockey wrote in post #12597425 (external link)

Shockey, Thank you again for the f8 tip. The picture in the following link is f8, 2000 iso and is great!

http://naturetrailphot​o.com/p733615060/ebe58​5e2 (external link)

sponsored links

1,136 views & 0 likes for this thread
I Need a Critique
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.