Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 14 Jun 2011 (Tuesday) 03:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

People asking, will you take my picture?

djentley
386 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 14, 2011 08:14 as a reply to  @ post 12590620 |  #16

Just do it, one digital file thingy costs nothing and karma should pay you back in the end when someone you want to photograph agrees to it. This ain't film with 32 exposures on a roll.

My 500px. (external link) I like action (external link) and volcanoes. (external link) Dragons (external link) and temples (external link) are fine, too!
I don't think the Earth revolves around me. It revolves around the Sun, which shines out of my ass.

sponsored links
mathogre
Goldmember
3,764 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 14, 2011 08:41 |  #17

jmweb wrote in post #12590024 (external link)
Your at a popular touristy park (you are a tourist from hundreds of km away)
Your there to snap some pics with your gear.
And you guessed it, you get asked to take someones photo.
Sure you say.
Then someone else comes up and asks.
Sure you say.
Then a couple asks.
Soon your on your own photoshoot with more random people.

Whats the polite way of saying no? buy a vest that says, will take your
photo for $20?

Actually I just saw another thread of yours, "Best way to practice for wedding".

Forget about saying "No." Say "Yes," and learn how to be gracious to strangers who appear to be safe. You're getting portrait opportunities for free, even if it is with someone else's camera. You're also getting social skills opportunities for free that you will need at a wedding. Take it one step further, and ask if you could take their photo with your camera for your own practice! Tell them you're expanding beyond landscape photography and could use the practice. They get their photo, and you get practice out of it. This is the proverbial and real win-win situation.

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Photo Collection (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 14, 2011 09:01 as a reply to  @ mathogre's post |  #18

Him: Sir, um, can you take a photo of me and my wife?
Me: Excuse me?
Him: I asked you if you can take a photo of me and my wife. It's our first time here and we love this place.
Me: Do I look like I work for free?
Him: Um...excuse me?
Me: Do you see this? (show him my 1DMKIII) ...and that? (show him my white lens). Oh yeah, and those? (show him my other lenses in my camera bag.
Him: Uhhh...sure.
Me: Yeah, that's right. I charge $5000 per hour for my divine photography skills. And you dare come up to me to ask me to shoot for free?
Him: Sir, I think you need to calm down.
Me: Oh, now you tellin' me to calm down? Let me put down my gear down because I feel like kicking your ass now.

...or I could just say "sure, no problem", which I always do. :lol:;)

Magnus3D
Goldmember
1,523 posts
Gallery: 319 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 14, 2011 09:14 |  #19

I usually always help people take pics of them when they ask me in the typical tourist locations in the city. It's no big problem and it just takes a couple of seconds and it makes the tourists happy. :)

/ Magnus

| Lots of cheap camera gear |

jmweb
THREAD ­ STARTER
525 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 14, 2011 09:34 |  #20

Trust me, I don't mind snapping pictures with their camera. But when its constant back to back to back to back, it starts to get annoying. I never thought of using my own camera to practice on them. What a great idea!

John Morris Photo - PEI, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick photographer (external link)
The most powerful work: editorial. JohnMorrisPhoto.ca (external link)
Gear: Canon 1dx, Canon 7dx Mark II, Canon 5d S, Canon 5d SR..

Blurr ­ Cube
...a lucky id-iot that didn't get electrocuted...
15,147 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 14, 2011 09:43 as a reply to  @ jmweb's post |  #21

I don't mind when asked. Not a big deal to me.

Maybe compared to your DSLR gear, they figure you know what you're doing or won't run away with their p&s. ;)

| Canon EOS Systems |

Daedalus34r
477 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 14, 2011 09:47 |  #22

Ive never heard or thought of a stranger asking you to use your own gear to take their photo, doesn't make any sense.

Now if they ask you to take their photo using their point&shoot/slr.... that i get asked plenty of times. Its funny because you'll notice them noticing you and your gear... hesitate for a couple moments, then walk over and ask for you to take their snapshot :)

BODY :: EOS 7D, EOS 50D
GLASS :: 17-55 f/2.8 , 50 f/1.4 , 70-200 f/4L IS, 150 f/2.8 EX Macro , 10-20 f/4-5.6 EX , 30 f/1.4 EX
EXTRAS :: 430EX II , Kata R-103 Bag , Tenba Messenger Bag :: WISH LIST :: 100 f/2
Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro Review

Darth ­ Mo
147 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 14, 2011 09:48 |  #23

The only time I get annoyed is when you have a group of young ladies and they want you to retake the photo five times because in each one, at least one of them says, "Ooh, I don't like that one, let's take another." :rolleyes:

Canon Rebel XSi | Canon EF 17-55mm | Canon EF 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 70-300mm VC USD | Canon 430

jmweb
THREAD ­ STARTER
525 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 14, 2011 09:52 |  #24

Daedalus34r wrote in post #12591194 (external link)
Ive never heard or thought of a stranger asking you to use your own gear to take their photo, doesn't make any sense.

Now if they ask you to take their photo using their point&shoot/slr.... that i get asked plenty of times. Its funny because you'll notice them noticing you and your gear... hesitate for a couple moments, then walk over and ask for you to take their snapshot :)

I'm not sure where people thought I was using my gear to take the photos :S

John Morris Photo - PEI, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick photographer (external link)
The most powerful work: editorial. JohnMorrisPhoto.ca (external link)
Gear: Canon 1dx, Canon 7dx Mark II, Canon 5d S, Canon 5d SR..

anothernewb
361 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 14, 2011 10:03 |  #25

I have a compact tripod that I carry along with the P&S - prevents me having to ask someone else, but I guess I'm in the minority - I consider it a compliment when I am asked to take the picture for someone. Then again, it's just one of those things, you get lots of people in an typical photo-op area and many like to have a picture of them in that location.

digital paradise wrote in post #12590457 (external link)
I just run away with their camera.

that brings up a loosely related funny memory. was out in the rockies and was asked to take a couple's picture. I did. They then saw me using some of the rock outcrops to stabilize my cam for some of my shots, so they set the cam on a rock elsewhere and set themselves up for some nice additional shots - When a rockchuck pops up from nearby, runs over, and steals their camera! damnedst thing I ever saw. a large rodent scampering over rocks dragging a cam in it's teeth, chased by a young couple. I really tried not to, but I couldn't help but laugh a bit. They never did catch the critter though.

Gripped 80D,10-18 STM, 55-250 IS STM, 15-85 IS USM, 85 1.8, 10-400 II, 430 EX II

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 14, 2011 10:08 as a reply to  @ post 12590620 |  #26

I get asked to do this a lot, if I'm not busy it's not a problem and I'll take their picture using their camera. No big deal.

CaptainNuss
62 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 14, 2011 10:10 |  #27

anothernewb wrote in post #12591285 (external link)
I consider it a compliment when I am asked to take the picture for someone.

I guess I would, too, but not as a compliment to my abilities. Rather, to the impression I'm making. ;)

5D Mk II; EF 24-105 L IS, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 70-200 f/4 L IS.
350D (gripped); EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II.
My humble photo gallery (external link) at deviantART.
*/

Blurr ­ Cube
...a lucky id-iot that didn't get electrocuted...
15,147 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 14, 2011 10:12 |  #28

anothernewb wrote in post #12591285 (external link)
I have a compact tripod that I carry along with the P&S - prevents me having to ask someone else, but I guess I'm in the minority - I consider it a compliment when I am asked to take the picture for someone. Then again, it's just one of those things, you get lots of people in an typical photo-op area and many like to have a picture of them in that location.

that brings up a loosely related funny memory. was out in the rockies and was asked to take a couple's picture. I did. They then saw me using some of the rock outcrops to stabilize my cam for some of my shots, so they set the cam on a rock elsewhere and set themselves up for some nice additional shots - When a rockchuck pops up from nearby, runs over, and steals their camera! damnedst thing I ever saw. a large rodent scampering over rocks dragging a cam in it's teeth, chased by a young couple. I really tried not to, but I couldn't help but laugh a bit. They never did catch the critter though.

You should've taken a photo... or a video.  :p

| Canon EOS Systems |

n0w0rries
320 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 14, 2011 10:40 |  #29

I was at the LB Grand Prix and some guy comes up and asks me how to put his Nikon into high speed mode (he said it was borrowed)... I looked all over that stupid thing then said "Sorry, should have got a Canon!"

I had a nikon buddy tell me later... I'm usually good at figuring stuff out but couldn't find it that day.

Canon 5D mk II | 430EXII | 580EXII | 85 1.8 | 16-35 2.8L | 24-105 4L | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 2X III

whuband
Goldmember
1,433 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 14, 2011 11:04 |  #30

jmweb wrote in post #12591218 (external link)
I'm not sure where people thought I was using my gear to take the photos :S

That is exactly what I thought, because it happens to me all the time. People just assume that everything involving digital photography and email is free.

I shoot a photo of an individual or group for my employer (a publishing company), and I can see out of the corner of my eye a spectator guy digging into his wallet to find a biz card. As they hand it to me, they always say the same thing "Send that to me." They never ask, it's always "Send that to me." My response is always the same, "I don't own that photo. Contact the newspaper."

Of the occasional photos that I have sent, I have never received a follow up thank you. I just follow up with an email asking if they received the complimentary photo "they asked for" just to call attention to their poor manners.

1D4, 6D, 7D2, Sony a6000 with Sony16-70, Rokinon 12mmf2, Canon lenses: 17-40L, 17-55 f2.8, 10-22, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 70-200mm IS 2.8, 300mm 2.8 IS, 580EXII (3), 430EX, Alien Bees.

sponsored links

8,431 views & 0 likes for this thread
People asking, will you take my picture?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.