Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 14 Jun 2011 (Tuesday) 03:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

People asking, will you take my picture?

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 14, 2011 11:20 |  #31

digital paradise wrote in post #12590457 (external link)
I just run away with their camera.

I turn the camera around and take an arm's-length picture of myself. That's usually good for a chuckle.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

sponsored links
squashed
Goldmember
4,193 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 14, 2011 11:22 |  #32

I have no problem with taking someone's picture for them... Its creating memories , why not ?

Done with Numbers. Own the X and the R
http://www.garyyoungph​otography.com (external link)

Chinsing
86 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 14, 2011 11:29 |  #33

mathogre wrote in post #12590844 (external link)
Actually I just saw another thread of yours, "Best way to practice for wedding"...

Forget about saying "No." Say "Yes," and learn how to be gracious to strangers who appear to be safe. You're getting portrait opportunities for free, even if it is with someone else's camera. You're also getting social skills opportunities for free that you will need at a wedding. Take it one step further, and ask if you could take their photo with your camera for your own practice! Tell them you're expanding beyond landscape photography and could use the practice. They get their photo, and you get practice out of it. This is the proverbial and real win-win situation.

Happens all the time because I'm usually a tourist at the same time/spot. So I take their P&S and compose taking into account rule-of-thirds, backlighting , shadows, (occasionally turning on fill-flash for them) unnatural or unattractive background objects, etc.

Then I hand them my DSLR and ask them to take one of my family and I (I'm always forgetting the tripod). First they look at the camera and ask, where's the image, I have to explain that it's "old fashioned and they have to look through the viewfinder". I have it set to full-auto thinking, that's my best bet but inevitable the shot is... well you can guess. (Thank goodness for PP.)

BUT from now on, I will adapt Mathorgre's approach follow-up with a shot using my camera for some portrait practice... brillant :thumbsup:

quiksquirrel
608 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 14, 2011 11:42 |  #34

The best, most effective and in my opinion most polite way to say no is: No.
Plain and simple. One word says all I need to convey. Why waste more time than you have to?

rral22
885 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 14, 2011 12:28 |  #35

If anyone asks me to do anything because they need some help, I help them if I can. What is the issue here? What ever happened to just being nice?

mckinleypics
Goldmember
1,809 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 14, 2011 12:48 |  #36

I always say yes. On two occasions I've had people offer to take a picture of me and my wife with my camera. That is waaay outside my comfort zone. One time I did say yes because it was a woman who said she had the same camera. We were on a hiking trail and I knew I could chase her down. I had to explain back button focusing though and decided never again.

Dave
7D, 70-200mm 2.8 L IS, 24-70mm 2.8 L, 50mm 1.4, Tokina 11-16mm 2.8, 580EXII
My Flickr (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,534 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 14, 2011 13:05 |  #37

I just say yes, unless I'm on some sort of time table. I consider it helping folks get around the "curse" of the photographer [never being IN the photos]; it's families/friends/etc who are on vacation and jostling to try and get pictures with everyone in them (except the photographer, a lot of the time).

So, when the inevitable comes, those folks will still have the record of the entire group being together and the good times. It's more of a long term view, but it can have real impact later on.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 14, 2011 13:36 |  #38
bannedPermanent ban

I believe on one single outing, I was asked maybe 5 times....:) On the fifth time, I told this person that I won't do it.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

quiksquirrel
608 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 14, 2011 13:45 |  #39

rral22 wrote in post #12592194 (external link)
If anyone asks me to do anything because they need some help, I help them if I can. What is the issue here? What ever happened to just being nice?

Nothing happened to it. It never existed in the the first place.

No person has ever done anything without wanting to get something out of it. Not even the smallest of things.

In this case, as there is no real chance of monetary compensation or similar, the logical assumption is that people do these sorts of things because they want or need the positive feedback that is usually achieved. Others may simply get some form of personal gratification from helping strangers. Others still do it out of fear of being seen in a negative light. In either case, there is a reward, whether it be gaining something positive, or avoiding something negative. Even if we are not consciously aware of it.

Naturally, there is nothing wrong with this. In fact it is a vital part of the way all animals, from mice to humans work. If we didn't have some form of payoff (or the expectation of such) motivating us, we would never do anything.

I, for one, just don't feel any need or desire for the (IMO) very small payoff associated with helping random tourists.
What I get in return is not enough to make it worth my time.

bior
348 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 14, 2011 16:06 |  #40

Well this thread certainly has taken a strange turn ...

I don't have any problem taking photos of other people with their equipment. Sometimes strangers have ask me to take photos of them with my equipment, but that was usually drunk people near the clubs. A couple times I though I was being asked to take someone else's photo, but they were asking me to be in their group photo. I was so confused the first time that I did it. Second and third time, I've been equally shocked but at least more prepared, and have declined. (No, I'm not anyone famous.)

Branden - amateur photographer for hire / bored systems administrator probably posting from work
Weapons of choice: 5D2 and a T3 / website will return soon

Skip ­ Souza
Cream of the Crop
26,204 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 14, 2011 16:58 |  #41

Topic temporarily closed for moderation.

Bless the recently fallen and their family and friends.
I have a Cannon with me at all times. You can't take the shot if you don't have something with which to shoot. :rolleyes:
That which does not kill me ~~ Should Run.
5DMkII, 7D, 70-300L IS, 24-105L,
No more PayPal gift payment requests.
"PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED."

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,760 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2002

Jun 14, 2011 16:59 |  #42

We can disagree without being disagreeable. Make your point and move on. Personally, I always take a photo is asked - it's not a big effort on my part and I kind of like helping people. Maybe what's in it for me is the feeling of satisfaction I get from helping others. There is such a thing as being nice.

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Forty years of shooting and still learning.
My Tumblr Site (external link) (NSFW)
Follow Me on Instagram (external link)

Skip ­ Souza
Cream of the Crop
26,204 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 14, 2011 17:22 |  #43

We now resume our normal programing. You can see that the thread is quite a bit shorter.
Take heed the Moderator's admonition. Anyone that continues the deleted argument will be subject to discipline.

Unless I have a good reason, I frequently do the favor. I have often showed folks how to use fill flash to illuminate the subjects face when seriously back lit. The look of amazement on their face is something to behold.

If you ask ;"Why do I do it?" there are only two answers.

Bless the recently fallen and their family and friends.
I have a Cannon with me at all times. You can't take the shot if you don't have something with which to shoot. :rolleyes:
That which does not kill me ~~ Should Run.
5DMkII, 7D, 70-300L IS, 24-105L,
No more PayPal gift payment requests.
"PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED."

viktor061
173 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 14, 2011 21:06 |  #44

i always do but... i can't see up close and never wear my glasses when shooting, so when i take a picture i have to ask them if it is ok. that get strange looks.

1dm3, 17-40L, 70-200L, 100-400L,50 1.4, 28-135IS, 75-300IS , http://www.flickr.com/​photos/25764820@N03/?s​aved=1 (external link)

Alex.K
Goldmember
1,570 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 14, 2011 21:11 as a reply to  @ viktor061's post |  #45

I'm always happy to snap their shot....now once while in Bermuda, a couple asked me to take their pic, so I was like, "yeah sure." We were under a tree(and couldn't get out of the shade for the view they wanted), and the camera's flash did no fire...thus making their faces black while properly exposing the BG.

I then was trying to figure out how to MAKE the camera flash. I think they thought I was a little crazy, but hey, I was just trying to get them the best shot with their camera. haha.

flickr (external link)
website (external link)
facebook (external link)
365/The Last Year project (external link)

sponsored links

7,831 views & 0 likes for this thread
People asking, will you take my picture?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.