Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 11 Jun 2011 (Saturday) 13:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EQUIPMENT REVIEW: Innovatronix Explorer Mini : Part 1 - Initial Thoughts

Village_Idiot
GREATEST POTN MEMBER EVER
3,695 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 15, 2011 09:40 |  #46

I was just interested in ballpark figures. A recycle time of 4 seconds vs. a recycle time of about 7 seconds, etc...

My village called. I was told that they missed me.

Speedotron users, untie!

sponsored links
kenyee
981 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 15, 2011 09:42 |  #47

A dual trace scope would work..probably overkill, but would work w/o needing to build something :-)

Do all strobes have a ready light?
Maybe it is as simple as Lichtwerk said? Videotape the back of the strobe's ready light. Fire it off...calculate time between light off and on. You have 60 frames per second which gives you 1/60th resolution (.017) which is probably plenty accurate since we only really care about tenth decimal point resolution.

Pentax K20D, 77Ltd, 43Ltd, Sigma 17-70, 60-250/4, crapload of Strobist gear (SB28's, RP JrX Studios, Einsteins, WL, Speedo BD, softboxes, grids, etc.)

FJ ­ LOVE
Cream of the Crop
20,883 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 15, 2011 09:48 |  #48

i hate to agree with the argumentative one, but if someone said "i don't notice a difference" in recycle time

on the battery or "it's about twice as long" i would consider that more than enough info

i would be more interested myself to see how many full powered pops i can expect from the mini ;)

DILLIGAF about your bicycle or your gear

SilverHCIC
Goldmember
1,460 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Swimming, cycling or running ... somewhere in California

Jun 15, 2011 11:24 |  #49
bannedPermanent ban

FJ LOVE wrote in post #12597404 (external link)
if someone said "i don't notice a difference" in recycle time on the battery or "it's about twice as long" i would consider that more than enough info

i would be more interested myself to see how many full powered pops i can expect from the mini ;)

^^^
I agree. Ballpark, relative performance is what I would be interested in.
Additionally, I would be interested in knowing whether the mini provides consistent performance. Reliability is extremely important to me. My experience with my original Innovatronix Explorer 1200 is that with a full charge, I get consistent power. Yes, it fades as the shoot progresses (and recycle time lengthens), but I don't have to worry about whether it's going to have a "good day" or a "bad day". ... Based on what I plan on shooting on location, I have a pretty good feel of whether my tronix will provide sufficient juice or not. Perhaps that's one nice feature of a robust SLA battery.

In contrast, some other battery technologies (for example NiMh in hotshoe flashes) are sometimes VERY unpredictable. ... You think they're fully charged, but after about a dozen pops, you find them fading fast. Other times, partially charged batteries seem to last all night.

Bottom line, I really couldn't care less if recycle time is 0.8 seconds longer. ... But if consistency is in question ... :rolleyes:

"It's easy to find your bike in transition when you're the last one out of the ocean ... it's no fun being lost at sea :rolleyes:."

MrScott
243 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 15, 2011 11:47 |  #50

Does anyone know how Rob Galbraith tests recycle times for his reviews?

On a side note - it sure does seem funny how mental everyone is these days when color temps are measured to the degree & SoftBoxes are to the 1/10th of an F across the face.

Lets just exclude recycles times from these similar critical measurements? Because, in the end, we're all concerned about numbers, right?

Since I can't find a flamesuit - I'll shall :cry: to lube the burn.

es1
330 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 15, 2011 15:10 |  #51

Shoot the test with video camera and look at the audio timeline to see the exact duration.

tetrode
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,776 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 16, 2011 14:34 |  #52

Lichtwerk wrote in post #12595550 (external link)
You could always video it and check the exact time from flash to beep.

Excellent suggestion, Dennis! Tried it and reported results here:

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1055533

Dave F.

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 16, 2011 16:37 |  #53

Awesome! Glad to see they these are a real product now! Cant wait to read your performance tests Rob!

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

SK6
just another cheesey internet trend
327 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 16, 2011 19:28 |  #54

whitesell wrote in post #12591108 (external link)
The mini shut off after the 92nd flash.

Ew...not even 100 shots with this product?

TMR ­ Design
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jun 16, 2011 23:28 as a reply to  @ SK6's post |  #55

Hi All,

I've been working closely with Innovatronix and I believe they're working to resolve the issues that Jim is having.

I did some additional testing but unfortunately part 2 of my review will take a little longer than expected due to my father being hospitalized and that taking priority over everything else.

It will happen, I promise. Please be patient.

BTW, coming from an audio background, I'm using a digital audio editor instead of video and can measure recycle times in the same way.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

Cathpah
Goldmember
4,259 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 17, 2011 00:54 |  #56

TMR Design wrote in post #12607799 (external link)
Hi All,

I've been working closely with Innovatronix and I believe they're working to resolve the issues that Jim is having.

I did some additional testing but unfortunately part 2 of my review will take a little longer than expected due to my father being hospitalized and that taking priority over everything else.

BTW, coming from an audio background, I'm using a digital audio editor instead of video and can measure recycle times in the same way.

Robert,

Sorry to hear about your father. Hopefully all will work itself out and your father will be healthy in no time. These tests can wait...there are some things that are MUCH more important than # of flash pops.

Good luck to you, your father, and the rest of your family.

Architecture (external link) | Fashion + Beauty (external link) | Travel (external link) | Mayhem (external link) | Instagram (external link)
tools of the trade
My name is Jeff, and I'm addicted to shadows in fashion and brights in architecture. "Hiiiiii Jeff."

plusnq
254 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 17, 2011 01:38 |  #57

TMR Design wrote in post #12607799 (external link)
Hi All,

Best wishes for your father and your family. POTN can wait.

Regards

Shane

www.balmainstreetstudi​o.com.au (external link)

Sheldon ­ N
Goldmember
2,163 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 17, 2011 01:40 |  #58

Sorry to hear about your father Rob. Best wishes to him, you, and all your family for a speedy recovery.

My flickr (external link) | Gear + Feedback

es1
330 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 17, 2011 01:54 |  #59

SK6 wrote in post #12606477 (external link)
Ew...not even 100 shots with this product?

Vagabond Mini seems to be better product.

FJ ­ LOVE
Cream of the Crop
20,883 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 17, 2011 02:09 |  #60

es1 wrote in post #12608297 (external link)
Vagabond Mini seems to be better product.

i thought you were building one ? :confused:

DILLIGAF about your bicycle or your gear

sponsored links

29,725 views & 0 likes for this thread
EQUIPMENT REVIEW: Innovatronix Explorer Mini : Part 1 - Initial Thoughts
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.