Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 14 May 2011 (Saturday) 14:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

need a lens for europe - 24-105 or 70-200

Grentz
Goldmember
2,874 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 15, 2011 06:29 |  #16

24-105 definitely.

And I am in Europe right now, with my 24-105 ;)

Search.TechIslands.com (external link) - Photography Shopping Search Engine

www.TechIslands.com (external link) - News and Reviews

My Gear List - 60D

sponsored links
TweakMDS
Goldmember
2,242 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 15, 2011 06:49 |  #17

I am also currently in europe (netherlands - since I live here). One thing I would really like to suggest is bringing a small tripod - for long exposure shots, and not ignoring the 16 - 24mm range. For a trip to the countries you mentioned, many of the old town centres have a lot of beautiful old streets that are REALLY narrow (yes, americans who have never been here might not imagine there are 4 meter wide streets...). Shooting everything that needs a wide angle at 16mm might be overdoing it...
If you're shooting inside old churches, a wide prime will definitely be very nice to have.

That said, bring what you have but I'd favor a 24-105 over a 70-200 definitely. My personal travel kit would probably be 17-40 + 28 1.8 + 50 1.8 + 85 1.8, but 17-40 + 24-105 could also be an option.

Some of my lenses focus beyond infinity...!
~Michael
Gear | Flickr (external link)
"My featured shots" (external link)

kfyount
821 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 15, 2011 07:21 |  #18

TweakMDS wrote in post #12412262 (external link)
...many of the old town centres have a lot of beautiful old streets that are REALLY narrow (yes, americans who have never been here might not imagine there are 4 meter wide streets...).

I'm betting many Americans don't know how wide 4 meters are! (Being an American living in Europe I can say that:confused:)

To the OP - if you think you'll get out of the cities you might consider the 70-200. Even in some cities, there are often a few shots where you might want some telephoto reach. But it depends on if you seek out those shots or not - if you don't usually look for those shots, then the 24-105 may have enough reach. In the cities, and especially in the old-town sections, everything is built so close together that you will really benefit from something wide.

But if you decide to get a 70-200 and the f4 is fast enough, then don't bother with the 2.8. The f4 is about 1 pound lighter and it is quite a bit smaller. I just got the f4 IS and it is killer without being too heavy to carry on a trip.

Kevin

Brummel
135 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Apr 2007

May 15, 2011 08:08 as a reply to  @ kfyount's post |  #19

The one-Lens solution on the 5D²: Ef 24-105/4L IS.

If you are going to carry your EF70-200 with you:
Ef17-40/4L, EF 50/1.4 and EF70-200L (that would be my choice).

Regards from Germany
Wolfram

From
Frankfurt / Main, Germany,
Wolfram
flickr (external link)

ender78
466 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 15, 2011 09:35 |  #20

robtk wrote in post #12409269 (external link)
i'm covered for my ultra wide angle (tokina @ 16mm), my fast prime (35L don't want to bring the 50) but i want a versatile zoom. i love the idea of the 24-105 because it's light and good for different film shots (not to mention cheap in comparison). i definitely want to get footage while abroad. at the same time, i just came into a chuck of cash and could shell out for a 70-200 (preferably 2.8). but is that much of a zoom necessary for walking around europe? i was there when i was younger but it seemed like i'd normally be going for wider shots all the time. if i go 70-200, i want to get the 2.8 II as it's a lens i plan on having for 5-10 years. will the weight be ridiculous to carry around all the time? should i go for f/4? i really don't know if i'll ever need it for indoor low light events.

i should mention, i'm going to stay mostly in england/londonlbs, with the hopes of taking trains to france, germany, and italy. help me decide!

I'm currently going through on of my life's toughest choices, choosing the F2.8 of F4 70-200. I had an opportunity to play with the 2.8 at a local camera show on Friday. The 70-200 is many things, but DEFINITIVELY not a walk around lends. The lens weighs nearly 4 lbs with the tripod collar.

The 70-200 is a phenomenal lens, one of Canon's flagship products. Expect to walk around with a backpack if you want to haul the 70-200 around.

atlrus
531 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 15, 2011 10:18 |  #21

Dont forget this is Europe - a lot of walking will be involved :)

I would go for the 24-105 and I know that the money is burning a whole in your pocket, but I would grab the 55-250 (or 70-300) just to be on the safe side. You'll still get some great shots with the 55-250, yet it's light as a feather, plus - dirt cheap, so you'll still have plenty of money left to blow on some crazy lens when you come back :)

Gear: Sold :cry:

tigerotor77w
Goldmember
1,564 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 14, 2011 21:33 |  #22

I don't want to derail this thread entirely, as I'm coming from an APS-C point of view, but is 24 mm wide enough on FF for Europe? What about 28 mm?

Photo blog (external link) | Gear

GregoryF
Goldmember
2,328 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 14, 2011 21:43 |  #23

After spending 3 months in Europe, I think that you would be much, much better served with the 24-105.

6D, 5D, 7Dii, Eos R and too many lenses, flashes and aux. gear to list!:cool:
A simple hobby gone horribily wrong

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,685 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 14, 2011 21:46 |  #24

tigerotor77w wrote in post #12595109 (external link)
I don't want to derail this thread entirely, as I'm coming from an APS-C point of view, but is 24 mm wide enough on FF for Europe? What about 28 mm?

Depends on what you want to shoot there. In the old towns and cities - not wide enough. Two years ago in Italy I did not have a WA, and I do not have a single photo of a complete cathedral in Florence, or Venice, or Pisa. You will also want something wider for landscapes of Toscani or Provence.

Fiddlefingers
195 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 15, 2011 03:45 |  #25

NinetyEight wrote in post #12412155 (external link)
I know where you were coming from :-) As I said, I was being sarcastic towards all the similar posts I see regarding this.

I'm off to Spain next month - What lens should I take :lol:

I'm taking my 24-105, 70-200, 300, extension tubes and 1.4x TC to Spain. I'm being sarcastic as well. I also don't understand general questions about what lens to take anywhere. It all depends on what you want to shoot. I want to take photos of everything from close-up through landscape to wildlife hence my lens choice. My advice to people is to take whatever lens(es) they would use at home for whatever type of photography they want to do when travelling. Much better to research what there is to take photos of and take the lens(es) to suit.

http://www.tomgilland.​co.uk (external link)

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,685 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 15, 2011 11:05 |  #26

Fiddlefingers wrote in post #12596426 (external link)
I I also don't understand general questions about what lens to take anywhere. It all depends on what you want to shoot. I want to take photos of everything from close-up through landscape to wildlife hence my lens choice. My advice to people is to take whatever lens(es) they would use at home for whatever type of photography they want to do when travelling. Much better to research what there is to take photos of and take the lens(es) to suit.

Well, not exactly. You live in Europe. However, many people in the US do not realize that they cannot just make a few steps back to take a photo of the clock tower in Prague, or the cathedral in Siena, etc. - there is just no room behind, and an UWA is needed. I did not know that it was fairly dark in the jungle of Costa Rica, and that I needed a fast lens for that. I can give you many similar examples, but you got the idea. It is really great that there are people on this forum who are happy to share their experience and suggest the equipment for this or that place.

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
6,736 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 15, 2011 11:21 as a reply to  @ Lbsimon's post |  #27

Squeeze in the 17 40 with your 11 16 and 24 105

35 or 50 for low light area's where no flash is allowed

If in the Mts, my 70 200 f4 Lis would come along, because its light...

Enjoy your trip..

My Gear flickr (external link)

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,908 posts
Gallery: 999 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 15, 2011 12:45 |  #28

I think a basic kit for travel should consist of a versatile zoom and a low light prime.

24-105
50L or 35L

And build from there. The 11-16 seems like a logical choice for Slot #3.

This thread just got me all excited, as I just learned that I am going to Italy in Sept!

robtk
THREAD ­ STARTER
211 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 15, 2011 13:14 |  #29

i ended up going a much different path, love the 24-105 but long term i couldn't justify it.

sold the tokina and got a zeiss 21 for an ultrawide, schwing! keeping my 35L because I adore it, and it's the fast prime in my bag (also bringing my nifty fifty because it weighs next to nothing). ended up with the 70-200 f4 is. definitely bringing it to europe, but not sure how often i'll be keeping it in my bag when i'm out.

21mm 35mm [50mm] 70-200

this lineup just best suites my need for FF. it's been a long few months of gear investment (later graduation money) but i don't see myself touching it for a very long time. maybe pick up a TC but that's it. going out and shooting now the bag can be a tad heavy at times (usually when i'm hiking) but i'm never at loss for any focal range. it's a great feeling and it has made my photography dynamic because i'm always trying to use each lens in most of my shots to see what works.

5Dmkii ~ Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 ~ Canon 35L

xanavi
174 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 15, 2011 14:35 |  #30

24-105L will come handy dandy. I suggest that over the other ones.

sponsored links

4,965 views & 0 likes for this thread
need a lens for europe - 24-105 or 70-200
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.