Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 13 Jun 2011 (Monday) 13:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Hobby/Entry Level Tripod Sub-$100

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 15, 2011 15:48 |  #31

tvphotog wrote in post #12594043 (external link)
With due respect, these products haven't been around for long enough for members to see if they'll fall apart. I'd go with the tried and true.

True enough, but based on first impressions I think its safe to say they're not shoddy built-from-broken-umbrellas-in-a-back-alley crap.

SkipD wrote in post #12594604 (external link)
I'm not sure what you call "all over the place", but this thread is the first place I have even seen the name.

Chances are you aren't going to randomly stumble across a review for something unless you're specifically looking for it.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

sponsored links
SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,475 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jun 15, 2011 16:18 |  #32

Sirrith wrote in post #12599441 (external link)
Chances are you aren't going to randomly stumble across a review for something unless you're specifically looking for it.

One quite frequently sees Manfrotto and Gitzo, just as a couple of examples, in the titles of threads here.

I did a quick search for "Horusbennu" in thread titles and found a total of 6 threads - 4 of which were posted by the same forum member.

A similar search for "Manfrotto" in thread titles came up with 300 threads.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

elogical
Goldmember
1,217 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 15, 2011 17:42 |  #33

Horusbennu is bound to be something of a gamble until they've been around long enough to test the durability. The people here, including me, who've taken a chance with them are pretty much all happy with them as far as I know though. And in reading reviews on them elsewhere on the web, there wasn't much information out there but there were no bad reviews I could find from anyone who actually owned one.

I 100% agree though that it's a bit of a risk until they've been around to get more long term feedback. Functionally, the one I have is great but the big unknown is durability. Especially with the carbon fiber, there's no way that I'm aware of to really test how well made the carbon is and how long it will stand up.

I'm liking my tripod enough that I end up recommending them a lot in similar threads but I try not to come off as too overly optimistic about them until I've had them longer

Gear

EmaginePixel
Goldmember
1,944 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 18, 2011 13:22 |  #34

I have to say Horusbennu is pretty innovative. But IMHO, overpriced and probably not really necessary for hobbyist.

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why its called the present” - Kung Fu Panda
EmaginePixel.com website (external link) ----- SportsShooter profile (external link) ----- Facebook page (external link)

hollywoodstylin
95 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 22, 2011 16:44 |  #35

mellofelow wrote in post #12615782 (external link)
I have to say Horusbennu is pretty innovative. But IMHO, overpriced and probably not really necessary for hobbyist.

Horusbennu overpriced??? Really??? Wow. I thought the reason why people were wanting to know more about Horusbennu was to see if it was a reliable cheaper alternative to Manfrotto, Gitzo, etc. I guess I was wrong. What tripod would you recommend for the hobbyist then?

60D • 18-135 IS • 24-105L 55-250 IS • 50 1.8 II • 430EX II • Kenko Extension Tubes • 190CXPRO4 • 498RC2

teeoh717
22 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 22, 2011 17:59 |  #36

In case the OP hasn't made a purchase yet:

elogical wrote in post #12587913 (external link)
I'd look HorusBennu (on ebay), Giottos, Benro and Manfrotto in that price range. I haven't used the cheapest Horusbennu ones but I'm very impressed with their higher end legs which are still quite a bargain so I assume the low end is at least decent.

I second this. While I too have heard good things about HorusBennu, as others have said, there's not much to go on yet. It sounds like it could be the way to go if you're on a budget. I'm picking up my FX-45Q ballhead tomorrow, and I'm excited to see what it can do.

xxhaxx wrote in post #12587345 (external link)
Have you considered getting a slik tripod?
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …10_Able_300DX_T​ripod.html (external link)
I have one and it works perfectly for the last couple of years

Glueeater wrote in post #12587778 (external link)
Any other thoughts on this one?

I don't know about the 300DX, but I know people rave over the 700DX.

mellofelow wrote in post #12597160 (external link)
Seriously, look at Slik 700DX. Just the legs are less than $90 and it's SOLID!!! Spend the rest on a good head. My combo is Smith Victor BH8. You can spend 10x more but the pic will come out the same.

I also have the Dolica as a travel pod. Got some great shots during my 3 week trip to China. It works.. but nothing like the Slik.

Yeah, I would have to agree that if weight doesn't matter I'd go for something like this. It's a ~7lb tank that should (the legs at least) be able to handle just about anything new you throw at it. Even if you need to buy a new set of legs in the future, every photographer could still have a use for a ludicrously heavy and clunky tripod.

5D Mark II | 17-40mm f/4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 | Canon Elan 7 | 1x Sigma 530-DG Super |
Feisol 3441T | HorusBennu FX-45Q |

elogical
Goldmember
1,217 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 23, 2011 19:36 |  #37

mellofelow wrote in post #12615782 (external link)

overpriced compared to what? I know the durability isn't really tested at this post but price-wise, they sell for a fraction of most tripods with similar specs.

Gear

EmaginePixel
Goldmember
1,944 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 23, 2011 22:21 |  #38

elogical wrote in post #12647370 (external link)
overpriced compared to what? I know the durability isn't really tested at this post but price-wise, they sell for a fraction of most tripods with similar specs.

Fair enough. Please show me a Horusbennu combo that compares to my recommendation of Slik 700DX and Smith-Vector BH8 for $147.95. Legs are 70+" tall and head is rated for 40lbs.

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why its called the present” - Kung Fu Panda
EmaginePixel.com website (external link) ----- SportsShooter profile (external link) ----- Facebook page (external link)

YARDBURNER
116 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 23, 2011 22:50 as a reply to  @ EmaginePixel's post |  #39

I spent a lot of time looking for a similar pod.

I'm 6'5" and an affordable tripod was hard to locate.

I picked up a Davis and Sanford MagnumXG for $100
and so far I'm loving it.

sponsored links

5,111 views & 0 likes for this thread
Hobby/Entry Level Tripod Sub-$100
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.