Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 15 Jun 2011 (Wednesday) 23:12
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Do you bring a body grip you when you travel abroad?"
Yes
52.7%
No
47.3%

91 voters, 91 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POLL: Grip while Travelling Abroad

hienz
452 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 15, 2011 23:12 |  #1

I'll be making a big trip all around Europe. I'm wondering how everyone feels about bringing a camera body grip with them while traveling. The added handling and ergonomics with the grip is awesome, but is it worth the weight? Vote now!

stevenhien.com (external link)
5D2 | XT1

sponsored links
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 15, 2011 23:17 |  #2

I didn't vote because in my opinion, it depends...

If not having it attached would majorly impact your ability to shoot at your best, take it.
If weight reduction or room in the bag is a bigger priority, don't take it.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

goldboughtrue
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 15, 2011 23:30 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

I don't own a grip, but if I did, I would leave it at home for an international trip to save weight and space. Unless the point is purely photography then it might make sense to take it.

http://www.pbase.com/g​oldbough (external link)

5D II, Canon 100 macro, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 24-105 L, Canon TS-E 45, Sigma Art 35mm f/1.4

Bendel
323 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 15, 2011 23:34 |  #4

I hate the feel of my camera without the grip. I have pretty big hands and I like to have something to hold on to. I'm going to be spending 5 months in Australia and I plan to have my battery grip attached the whole time

Brandon
Canon 5D, 24-105 F4L, 70-200 F4L, 85 F1.8, 430EX II

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 15, 2011 23:47 |  #5

I love my e1 handstrap, so I keep my grip on all the time. When I travel, I keep it gripped--nice knowing I've got 2 batteries ready to go. You should edit the poll to include the option of "I don't use a grip, period". I'm sure there are people who are simply voting "no" just because they don't use a grip.

My Gearlist

Justaddwata
Goldmember
1,330 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 16, 2011 00:03 as a reply to  @ MOkoFOko's post |  #6

The empty grip really does not take up a whole lot of space or have much weight. If your travelling with suit cases then the grip would have minimal impact really - Pack it in an empty shoe when not in use. Bring it along and you then have the option of using it or not depend on the travel regiment and options for a particular day.

If your hiking and really bringing a minimal amount of gear then I would leave the grip behind if it means not bringing something more important (like another lens option)

Proudly Australian Made!!
1D MKIII, 5D MkIII gripped, 7D gripped, 40D gripped, Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 28mm f1.8, Sigma 50mm f1.4, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS,
"Sigmonster" 300-800mm, Canon 70-200mm Mk II IS L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 35-350mm L, 580 EXII, 430EX, Canon 2X Extender MkII

cloose
691 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 16, 2011 00:11 |  #7

I voted yes, because with a 1 series I have no option....

really though, if I had a camera body with a separate grip, I most certainly would bring it.

http://craigloose.com (external link)

Calicajun
Goldmember
2,948 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 16, 2011 00:28 as a reply to  @ cloose's post |  #8

Voted no, with getting over 800 shots on one battery, I see no reason to carry the extra weight around all day and night on vacation.

Remember, Stressed spelled backward is Desserts.:)
Suggestions welcome.
5DIII, EF 50 1.4, EF 40 f2.8, EF 24-105L IS , EF 70-200 f4L IS, 580EX ll

iwasinvertedx
718 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 16, 2011 00:41 |  #9

considering you own a rebel series camera, its not a significant amount of weight. However, my personal preference is to travel light with my camera gear. I would just leave the grip behind, but only because the grip doesn't help me shoot any better than without it.

Bring it if you cant stand to shoot with out it.

Portfolio (external link)

Xymnslot
49 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 16, 2011 05:01 |  #10

iwasinvertedx wrote in post #12602016 (external link)
considering you own a rebel series camera, its not a significant amount of weight. However, my personal preference is to travel light with my camera gear. I would just leave the grip behind, but only because the grip doesn't help me shoot any better than without it.

Bring it if you cant stand to shoot with out it.

Exactly this. I leave mine behind when traveling to reduce weight and bulk.

Staszek
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 16, 2011 05:23 |  #11

I only use a grip for long paid gigs, never for travel or personal work. The excess bulk isn't needed.

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)
Shooting with big noisy cameras and a bag of primes.

ahendarman
851 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 16, 2011 07:51 |  #12

A grip comes handy if you got mugged. :)

Gear | Smugmug (external link)

Aperture1.4
184 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 16, 2011 08:01 |  #13

No, I went to Quebec (I know not the same) and skipped the grip, I'm glad I did. My bag was heavy enough with the body, iPad, 30mm 1.4, and 100macro. Plus flash and other crap. The grip was bulky and not needed.

I am dealing with apple autocorrect. Excuse my spelling/random words.

hienz
THREAD ­ STARTER
452 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 16, 2011 09:34 |  #14

Poll looks consistenly tied :/ Great points from everyone though, from both sides. I still have a bit of time to decide if I want to take it with me. Anyone find the option of using alkine batteries (for back up) with a grip useful while travelling?

stevenhien.com (external link)
5D2 | XT1

Aperture1.4
184 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 16, 2011 09:36 |  #15

hienz wrote in post #12603491 (external link)
Poll looks consistenly tied :/ Great points from everyone though, from both sides. I still have a bit of time to decide if I want to take it with me. Anyone find the option of using alkine batteries with a grip useful while travelling?

Nope. Never done never will. Seems wasteful

I am dealing with apple autocorrect. Excuse my spelling/random words.

sponsored links

3,374 views & 0 likes for this thread
POLL: Grip while Travelling Abroad
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.