Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 23 Mar 2011 (Wednesday) 14:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Unauthorized Use of a Photo for Profit

souporman
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2011
5,462 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Mar 25, 2011 07:09 |  #46

tomd wrote in post #12086401 (external link)
nice overlay job. even the tire track linesup

Agreed. I also like how the shadow on the hill behind the back of the roof rack was drawn into the shirt design.

mininut wrote in post #12086785 (external link)
Busted, drinks on you sparkplug ;)

M.

Looking forward to it :)

http://www.evilkitchen​.ca (external link) (365 (external link)) .
500px (external link)
Twitter (external link)http://365.evilkitchen​.ca (external link)

sponsored links
sparkplug
THREAD ­ STARTER
289 posts
Joined Sep 2008
Location: North Shore, Louisiana / Golfito, Costa Rica * I release all fish with NOAA tags for research

Mar 25, 2011 22:30 |  #47

Thanks for all of the advice and knowledge. Numlok, that is pretty sweet, thanks.

I will report back when I hear something. Nothing I hate more than when a thread has an open ending. I won't leave you guys and gals hanging.

Isaac
Canon 40D, 5DMKII, Canon 100mm, Canon 100mm L series, 580EXII, and some recycled homemade stuff.

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 26, 2011 20:02 |  #48

Awesome.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

cdevers
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 29, 2011 16:03 |  #49

Can someone please get me in touch with the Isaac that took this Land Cruiser photo ? If he uses Twitter, that might be easiest — I'm @cdevers there.

I'm the person that had the Jaguar photo story recently. Lawyers are involved, so I can't be any more specific than that.

I think Isaac & I probably have some interesting things to talk about here.

Thanks.

sparkplug
THREAD ­ STARTER
289 posts
Joined Sep 2008
Location: North Shore, Louisiana / Golfito, Costa Rica * I release all fish with NOAA tags for research

Mar 30, 2011 11:26 |  #50

cdevers wrote in post #12118805 (external link)
Can someone please get me in touch with the Isaac that took this Land Cruiser photo ? If he uses Twitter, that might be easiest — I'm @cdevers there.

I'm the person that had the Jaguar photo story recently. Lawyers are involved, so I can't be any more specific than that.

I think Isaac & I probably have some interesting things to talk about here.

Thanks.

PM sent.

Isaac
Canon 40D, 5DMKII, Canon 100mm, Canon 100mm L series, 580EXII, and some recycled homemade stuff.

AZAlphaDog
Goldmember
1,750 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 05, 2011 15:13 as a reply to  @ sparkplug's post |  #51

You guys picked up a blip on the "A Photo Editor" blog, check it out . . .

Story here (external link)

DOUG JAMES | PHOTO PRODUCTIONS (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link)

SillyGuy
929 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 06, 2011 15:59 |  #52

wow. crazy. glad you recognized your own photo!

My Website (external link) | My Blog (external link)

Ray ­ Marrero
Goldmember
1,766 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 06, 2011 21:11 |  #53

boycott the Gap.

Ray
Canon 6D, 7D, 30D, Flashpoint Zoom Li-on R2 x2, Flashpoint eVOLV 200 and XPlor 600, AB800 x3, Canon 10-22mm, 18-55mm, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 24-70mm 2.8L, 24-105mm 4.0L, 70-200mm 2.8L IS, Sigma 28-105mm 2.8, Tamron 28-75mm 2.8, CyberSyncs.

TopHatMoments
Goldmember
1,173 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 07, 2011 07:30 |  #54

Better start your own store " Gap This! " first item, that jersey shirt.

Canon to PhotoShop, “Beam me up”! LR3 set course for CS5, Warp speed 64!___ ((dpp___/==***^***

cory1848
Goldmember
1,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 07, 2011 08:20 |  #55

If the image wasn't registered prior to the theft, then you are not going to see large damages. This is why everyone advocates registering your images regularly. Since it was not registered, name your happy price and invoice them like they hired you. You may win in court, but all the cost and aggravation won't be worth it.

Gear List
"Those are some mighty fine pots and pans you have, they must make a great dinner!

fortisi876
493 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 16, 2011 13:01 |  #56

Seeking some advice, found this thread and figured why start another one.......hope the O/P doesn't mind otherwise I'll just delete it and start another.

Obviously, I'm not a professional photographer so would appreciate any advice.

In a nutshell, I posted some photographs that I had taken at a National MC Road-racing (AMA) event on my Facebook album. One of the advertised sponsors on one of the racebikes I photographed saw the image, 'liked it' and said he was going to use it as his profile pic. At this point, I was ok with it being used as such. This sponsor/company is a local business that runs a MC trackday school/club that I actually used to be a member of and rode with on occasion.

Well, after being wrongfully charged for this years annual membership, I go to their website to send them a note that I was not joining this season and they need to reverse the charge on my credit card. Well, while doing this I noticed that on their main sign up 'trackday page' they have several photo's one of which is my photo that was taken from my FB page. I've already asked him to remove the photo OR at least give me credit for that photo since one of the other photo's had another photographer name on the image, I requested this via email when he contacted me to confirm the membership cancellation. He totally ignored my request and the photo is still on the site after a week or so.

As stated, I'm clueless on what to do or if I should bother trying. I did read many replies here and I also went to the photoattorney site. I'm just wanting to get some opinions if this is something worth pursuing, as the infringer is no GAP nor is he selling a product with my image on it and I haven't registered the photo's. Good Lord, registering photo's?!?!? What's the cost on doing this anyway?

I think being ignored is my biggest gripe at this point.

Thanks in advance!

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,738 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 16, 2011 13:18 |  #57

fortisi876 wrote in post #12604564 (external link)
Seeking some advice...

I've already asked him to remove the photo OR at least give me credit for that photo since one of the other photo's had another photographer name on the image, I requested this via email when he contacted me to confirm the membership cancellation. He totally ignored my request and the photo is still on the site after a week or so.

First, e-mail your request again, this time, clearly stated in the very first sentence.

Rule #1 about e-mail.. People do not read the entire note.

I work for a large corporation where people get hundreds or thousands of e-mails each day. I have found that if the very first sentence of an e-mail does not clearly tell the recipient what is expected, the request often does not get acted on. I have found that by rewording my e-mails (because it doesn't come naturally) so that the request is the first sentence and the explanation follows, I get much better results. By your description, I am guessing your request was the second paragraph.. He never saw it. He read the first paragraph, stopped, acted on it and replied.

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

tomd
Cream of the Crop
13,279 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 16, 2011 13:48 |  #58

fortisi876 wrote in post #12604564 (external link)
Seeking some advice, found this thread and figured why start another one.......hope the O/P doesn't mind otherwise I'll just delete it and start another.

Obviously, I'm not a professional photographer so would appreciate any advice.

In a nutshell, I posted some photographs that I had taken at a National MC Road-racing (AMA) event on my Facebook album. One of the advertised sponsors on one of the racebikes I photographed saw the image, 'liked it' and said he was going to use it as his profile pic. At this point, I was ok with it being used as such. This sponsor/company is a local business that runs a MC trackday school/club that I actually used to be a member of and rode with on occasion.

Well, after being wrongfully charged for this years annual membership, I go to their website to send them a note that I was not joining this season and they need to reverse the charge on my credit card. Well, while doing this I noticed that on their main sign up 'trackday page' they have several photo's one of which is my photo that was taken from my FB page. I've already asked him to remove the photo OR at least give me credit for that photo since one of the other photo's had another photographer name on the image, I requested this via email when he contacted me to confirm the membership cancellation. He totally ignored my request and the photo is still on the site after a week or so.

As stated, I'm clueless on what to do or if I should bother trying. I did read many replies here and I also went to the photoattorney site. I'm just wanting to get some opinions if this is something worth pursuing, as the infringer is no GAP nor is he selling a product with my image on it and I haven't registered the photo's. Good Lord, registering photo's?!?!? What's the cost on doing this anyway?

I think being ignored is my biggest gripe at this point.

Thanks in advance!

do a screen capture of the photo in use.
Send an invoice for use of the photo.

=======>>> play W.A.I.N. :D

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 16, 2011 13:50 |  #59

Old Navy. Perfect.

Let us know when you get your check.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 16, 2011 14:06 |  #60

Its highly ironic that the original poster, Sparkplug, would complain about a stolen image but yet he posts his friend's image without credit or attribution.

Gear List

sponsored links

30,259 views & 0 likes for this thread
Unauthorized Use of a Photo for Profit
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.