Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 16 Jun 2011 (Thursday) 19:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

canon 15-85 softness left side of images

dissident
60 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 16, 2011 19:48 |  #1

I guess this is what I get buying from ebay and trusting seller's description and then getting sidetracked and not doing good testing for a few weeks after receiving the lens.. anyways learning experience aside should I send this lens to canon and pay for it to be calibrated? Here's a classic example of what the softness looks like, though if you need more examples I can provide them... the right side of the image will be very sharp, but it fades to a blurry mess on the left side of the image more then one would expect for a lens this price. I don't mind sucking it up and sending it in, just curious to get some thoughts.

Edit:

here's a few examples.. I don't have the RAWS for these but these JPGS are plenty high quality to show it.

http://www.panoramio.c​om/user/5777910 (external link)

The road picture shows it is possible to get sharp pictures from the left side, usually on the foreground is when I can get it sharp but then the foreground on the right side will be soft.. perhaps lens decentering?

Canon T2i | Battery Extender | Canon EF-S 15-85mm | Tamron AF 70-300mm VC USD | Nifty Fifty Mark 1

sponsored links
GregoryF
Goldmember
2,329 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 16, 2011 20:00 |  #2

Yikes !! Look's like some serious decentering going on. If the seller never enlaarged or used editing softwarw, he/she might not have noticed. Look's like a trip to Canon is in order. You are not by anychance using a cheap filter on it are you?

6D, 5D, 7Dii, Eos R and too many lenses, flashes and aux. gear to list!:cool:
A simple hobby gone horribily wrong

hienz
452 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 16, 2011 20:29 |  #3

Woah, if those shots are just with the naked lens (without any filters) then something funky is definitely going on on the left side, especially left center. That doesn't happen on my 15-85. GregoryF is right though, it's easy to overlook without zooming in very close digitally. Nonetheless, it would bother me if it were my lens and I'm guessing it's concerning you too since you made this post. I say send it in to Canon.

How much does it cost to calibrate a lens by Canon anyway? I've never done it before.

stevenhien.com (external link)
5D2 | XT1

artyH
Goldmember
2,115 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 16, 2011 21:02 |  #4

If the lens is decentered, this means that the elements are out of alignment. This is fixable, but not an easy fix.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 16, 2011 22:39 as a reply to  @ artyH's post |  #5

Mine doesn't do that. I don't buy anything costing over $10 on Ebay anymore, it's really turned into a ripoff paradise.

phreeky
Goldmember
3,514 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 17, 2011 04:09 |  #6

That is bad!

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 17, 2011 04:15 |  #7

GregoryF wrote in post #12606651 (external link)
Yikes !! Look's like some serious decentering going on. If the seller never enlaarged or used editing softwarw, he/she might not have noticed. Look's like a trip to Canon is in order. You are not by anychance using a cheap filter on it are you?

Yup, major, major decentration of the entire left side of all those images. OP has so elements out of alignment in there. It's likely this lens has taken some HARD hits, or it wasn't packed well in the shipping box.

My Gearlist

MOkoFOko
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 17, 2011 04:17 |  #8

dissident wrote in post #12606590 (external link)
I guess this is what I get buying from ebay and trusting seller's description and then getting sidetracked and not doing good testing for a few weeks after receiving the lens.. anyways learning experience aside should I send this lens to canon and pay for it to be calibrated? Here's a classic example of what the softness looks like, though if you need more examples I can provide them... the right side of the image will be very sharp, but it fades to a blurry mess on the left side of the image more then one would expect for a lens this price. I don't mind sucking it up and sending it in, just curious to get some thoughts.

Edit:

here's a few examples.. I don't have the RAWS for these but these JPGS are plenty high quality to show it.

http://www.panoramio.c​om/user/5777910 (external link)

The road picture shows it is possible to get sharp pictures from the left side, usually on the foreground is when I can get it sharp but then the foreground on the right side will be soft.. perhaps lens decentering?

When did you buy the lens? If it was less than 45 days ago, you're well within your right to return it for the FULL value you paid, shipping included. It's ebay/paypal policy, even if they say they won't accept returns. If it was over 45 days ago but less than 90, file a credit card chargeback, and send it back, tracked/insured. You'll win your chargeback.

You can send it in, but that would be silly. If the seller claims that shipping damage caused the decentering, he can take it back and file insurance claims on his own. Sending it in for calibration without being under warranty... you're looking at a $200-$300 charge right there.

My Gearlist

dave_bass5
Goldmember
4,303 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 17, 2011 05:08 |  #9

Yep, pretty bad and not to be expected.

Dave.
Gallery@http://www.flickr.com/​photos/davebass5/ (external link)
Canon 5DMKIV | Canon EOS-M50 | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | 70-300L | 135L f/2.0 | EF-S 10-18 | 40 f/2.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Canon S110 | Fuji F31FD | Canon 580EXII, 270EXII | Yongnuo YN-622C Triggers.

dissident
THREAD ­ STARTER
60 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 17, 2011 05:42 |  #10

It was exactly 60 days ago. I know it wasn't done on my end as I have never dropped it and some of the earliest pictures do have the issue. I don't feel 'good' about going the chargeback route after all that time as I should have done my DD to make sure the lens was good from the start and not have gotten sidetracked and waited for the weather I wanted then just started using it. hmm....

Canon quoted $145 for out of warranty repair on the website, but you think they will likely ask for more when they get the lens in the mail and inspect it?

Canon T2i | Battery Extender | Canon EF-S 15-85mm | Tamron AF 70-300mm VC USD | Nifty Fifty Mark 1

MOkoFOko
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 17, 2011 05:54 |  #11

They can easily ask for more. Canon Repairs is pretty well known for sending revised estimates. I would IMMEDIATELY ask the seller for a return, and if he refuses, follow up with a chargeback. 60 days isn't too late for the seller to file insurance claims. The longer you drag your feet and play around with quotes, the more trouble it causes. If you know it wasn't your fault, what's the problem? You waited too long--so what? The seller sent you junk and expects you to pay for those hidden problems!! Send it back. CC protection is there for a reason.

My Gearlist

phreeky
Goldmember
3,514 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 17, 2011 06:06 |  #12

I feel differently about it. If I was the seller (assuming he/she thought the lens was fine) and had to deal with stuff 60 days later I would be very unhappy about it. 60 days to check that a lens isn't a dud? That's crazy IMO.

dave_bass5
Goldmember
4,303 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 17, 2011 07:12 |  #13

phreeky wrote in post #12608741 (external link)
I feel differently about it. If I was the seller (assuming he/she thought the lens was fine) and had to deal with stuff 60 days later I would be very unhappy about it. 60 days to check that a lens isn't a dud? That's crazy IMO.

Plus the seller would have to find the money to repay it. Not always easy if he doesn't have a lot.

Personally i would contact the seller and get him to pay half of whatever it costs to put the lens right.

I agree that he shouldn't have sold it without mentioning the defect but i do think 60 days is more than enough time to check the lens over, especially as this is very obvious.

Good luck dissident.

Dave.
Gallery@http://www.flickr.com/​photos/davebass5/ (external link)
Canon 5DMKIV | Canon EOS-M50 | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | 70-300L | 135L f/2.0 | EF-S 10-18 | 40 f/2.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Canon S110 | Fuji F31FD | Canon 580EXII, 270EXII | Yongnuo YN-622C Triggers.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 17, 2011 11:05 |  #14

dave_bass5 wrote in post #12608886 (external link)
Personally i would contact the seller and get him to pay half of whatever it costs to put the lens right.

I would try that if the seller refuses to accept the lens back

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 17, 2011 13:06 |  #15

I agree, best you could do IMO is ask for half the repair and explain why it took you so long to check the condition of the lens. Over sixty days is a bit much to contact them and say hey, its broken. If it were me, I wouldn't believe it and would of wanted contact sooner on the issue.

Good luck though repairing the lens! Maybe they will accept it back, who knows!

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

4,272 views & 0 likes for this thread
canon 15-85 softness left side of images
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.