Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Jun 2011 (Thursday) 15:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

dpi

charliechuck
188 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 16, 2011 15:14 |  #1

i have a canon 7D can anyone tell me what dpi i need to print a photo 6 feet by 3 feet and should i keep it as a tiff or turn it into a jpeg before i print it.thanks.

sponsored links
crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 16, 2011 15:41 |  #2

I'm guessing you're going to have to send it out to be printed. Why not ask the print service what they want for file size and type?

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 16, 2011 16:06 |  #3

Usually the DPI is dependent on the print type and the desired end result - printing on a photo paper is different than printing on canvas, is different than printing on a big billboard. As stated above, your printer will be able to tell you the DPI, they may give you a range (e.g. printing a photo, you generally go with 300dpi but can maybe get by with 200dpi).

Once they tell you the DPI, multiply that number by the size of your final print, to get the pixel dimensions you need for your electronic file.

If you need a printed banner that's 72"x36" and the print resolution is 300dpi, your file will be 21600x10800 pixels, so you'll need to scale it up in Photoshop (or Fractals or whatever), or stitch together multiple images, to get that pixel dimension. In most cases, though, you're probably not going to print an image that large at 300 dpi; they'll probably want something like 72dpi. Multiply 72"x36" times 72dpi, and you get 5184x2592. Coincidentally, my 60D takes a 18MP image which is 5184x3456, so I'd just take the image at full size, crop off a little from the top or bottom (whatever gives me the nicest composition for the banner), and be done.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

charliechuck
THREAD ­ STARTER
188 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 17, 2011 15:23 |  #4

wow you guy's know your stuff. thanks for the info.

Wide ­ Boy
629 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 17, 2011 16:05 as a reply to  @ charliechuck's post |  #5

Don't save it as a jpeg, every time you save and re save a jpeg will lose a little bit of data.

Sony A7 | 28-70 | Tamron 15-30 (Canon fit)
550D with a battery grip | Canon 70-200mm F4L | Canon 50mm 1.8mkII | Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | YN 460II |
Nikon D7000 | 18-55 G VR | Tokina 11-16 2.8

DAMphyne
"the more I post, the less accurate..."
2,156 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2003

Jun 17, 2011 16:35 |  #6

Wide Boy wrote in post #12611331 (external link)
Don't save it as a jpeg, every time you save and re save a jpeg will lose a little bit of data.

What if the print service requires a JPEG?
Just sayin' :)

David
Digital set me free
"Welcome Seeker! Now, don't feel alone here in the New Age, because there's a seeker born every minute.";)
www.damphyne.com (external link)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jun 17, 2011 17:38 |  #7

DAMphyne wrote in post #12611475 (external link)
What if the print service requires a JPEG?
Just sayin' :)

Simply copy the FINAL image file into a .JPG file. Do not use .JPG files for editing, though, as every time a .JPG file is opened and then saved, it is degraded a bit even if no editing was done to it.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

alphatango
340 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 17, 2011 17:58 |  #8

I always save as tif and send tif files when I have something printed. Tif is very universal and I haven't found a place that doesn't accept it. The only issues with Tif may be the file size.

Feedback
Tumblr (external link)
5∞px (external link)

Wide ­ Boy
629 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 18, 2011 16:06 as a reply to  @ alphatango's post |  #9

Thanks Skip, that is basically what I was meaning.

Sony A7 | 28-70 | Tamron 15-30 (Canon fit)
550D with a battery grip | Canon 70-200mm F4L | Canon 50mm 1.8mkII | Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | YN 460II |
Nikon D7000 | 18-55 G VR | Tokina 11-16 2.8

sponsored links

1,411 views & 0 likes for this thread
dpi
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.