Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
Thread started 19 Jun 2011 (Sunday) 18:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What do I have to do to become a war/news photographer?

The ­ Framed ­ Life
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 19, 2011 20:04 |  #16
bannedPermanent ban

thanks for you useful contribution.

The Framed Life (external link)
Canon 30D
70-200mm F/4L, 24-70 f/2.8L

►►► 30D For Sale ◄◄◄
James Robertson

sponsored links
pbelarge
Goldmember
2,835 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 19, 2011 20:06 |  #17

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #12622145 (external link)
Get yourself into a respected journalism program and squeeze their resources for all they're worth in terms of contacts, alumni, internships, etc...

You are very young, but that is hard to explain to young people. Once you reach our age, you can look back and agree with most of what we say.

The above advice is excellent and will take some time. If you do not have the patience, fly to a war torn country, take your camera and go to work.
Good luck with your venture, it could be very rewarding. Just remember war journalism is not as romantic as it may seem from the 'outside', and can be very disheartening.

just a few of my thoughts...
Pierre

The ­ Framed ­ Life
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 19, 2011 20:09 |  #18
bannedPermanent ban

I understand that, I have no understanding of it being a fun job.

Canon 30D

►►► 30D For Sale ◄◄◄
James Robertson

Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 19, 2011 20:10 |  #19

The Framed Life wrote in post #12622288 (external link)
I don't want to join the army..already said this.

Fine, since you know everything and don't want to show a bias then your only option is to pack your gear, a bug out bag , and get on a plane that gets you close, a bus that gets you closer and a local that gets you into the thick of it.

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

The ­ Framed ­ Life
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 19, 2011 20:18 |  #20
bannedPermanent ban

Because you know everything, you've already done it, and joining the army is certainly the only way.

Canon 30D

►►► 30D For Sale ◄◄◄
James Robertson

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 19, 2011 20:23 |  #21

The Framed Life wrote in post #12622288 (external link)
I don't want to join the army..already said this.

Good luck.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 19, 2011 20:32 |  #22

The Framed Life wrote in post #12622382 (external link)
Because you know everything, you've already done it, and joining the army is certainly the only way.

Or, could be we are 20 30 or more years older, and have travelled a bit around the world.

Real test. You are in Paris. Broad daylight. As you are driving trash alongside the road increases. Guy runs out in front of you yelling something in French. Near as you can tell he wants you to get out of the car. Girl starts yelling at him, guy approaches your car from the back. What do you do?

And that is the West.

Maybe some people on this thread just do not want you to get hurt not from bullets, but by the people between you and your goal.

Try Greenpeace, Peace Corps if you have that in your country, Doctors without Borders, if the Army is just too rigid for you.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

The ­ Framed ­ Life
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 19, 2011 20:39 |  #23
bannedPermanent ban

S.Horton wrote in post #12622443 (external link)
Or, could be we are 20 30 or more years older, and have travelled a bit around the world.

Real test. You are in Paris. Broad daylight. As you are driving trash alongside the road increases. Guy runs out in front of you yelling something in French. Near as you can tell he wants you to get out of the car. Girl starts yelling at him, guy approaches your car from the back. What do you do?

I know french, no problem, and I'd never travel into conflicted territory unarmed. If they were intending to harm me, I wouldn't think twice about throwing it in reverse and running that guy over.

And that is the West.

Maybe some people on this thread just do not want you to get hurt not from bullets, but by the people between you and your goal.

Try Greenpeace, Peace Corps if you have that in your country, Doctors without Borders, if the Army is just too rigid for you.

I never said the army is too rigid, I said it doesn't provide the opportunity I'm looking for. I don't just want to cover the middle east, and I don't just want to cover war. There's so much conflict, famine, poverty, and change going on right now all over Africa, China, South America..hell, I saw a news story today about a homeless community of Australian natives. I want to get an assignment to cover anything in the world, then go there, and shoot it, experience it, and be able to tell the entire story, a job with Getty images or Natural Geographic would offer this.

Bold responses above.

Canon 30D

►►► 30D For Sale ◄◄◄
James Robertson

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 19, 2011 20:40 |  #24

I just find these kinds of threads fascinating...

Sort of like a Train Wreck.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

The ­ Shaheen
406 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 19, 2011 20:54 |  #25

The Framed Life wrote in post #12621901 (external link)
Since I was little I was always fascinated with the pictures in magazines like national geographic with pictures of war, conflict, culture, and news from all over the world, and I've always wondered what one would have to do to become one of those people taking them. I'm 18 now, and have spent the last year really focusing my education on photography, and building a small gear collection, and making some money from photography. I originally wanted to pursue sport photography, but the adventure and surrealism that I see in news photography keeps drawing me in, and I want to take a go at it, but what do I have to do?

I watched the movie "War Photographer" from 2001 with the photographer James Nachtwey and he said when he was ready to take a shot at it he moved to NYC, is that the best way to go about it? I've lived in Saskatchewan, Canada all my life, and from what I can tell, this is about the worst place to live for anyone looking for an exciting and adventurous career, so I'm definitely willing and wanting to leave, but I can't help thinking there's more to it than walking into some big print media HQ and asking for a job. Do I have to know people, do I have to go out and travel and shoot some of my own photos without any media pass to build a portfolio? Does anyone have any experience with it?

Weird.. I've been looking for this kind of thread at POTN for ages...

1. I went to college and Uni in Saskatoon, Sask, for 4 years... Miss the place...

2. Came to England. Got a BA (Hons) degree in Graphic Design and Photography.

3. Worked as designer in top Design/Advertising/Mar​keting agencies for 30 years.

4. Recently got really bored with the consumerism and bull**** and quit.

5. Became a photographer a while ago. I wanted to go and take pictures in Afghanistan and Iraq.. Just like you want to..

6.I couldn't find a way to get into all that. I am still looking.

7. I started doing Street photography. And selling it to Performers etc. Might even have a book published soon.

8. But i still want to do War Photography..

9. AND i wanna keep reading this thread...

"Tt's not the Devil in the details, it's God!"
https://photography-on-the.net …p=11498080&post​count=2620

pbelarge
Goldmember
2,835 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 19, 2011 21:01 |  #26

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #12622496 (external link)

Sorta like the train wrecked before leaving the station...

just a few of my thoughts...
Pierre

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,336 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 19, 2011 21:10 |  #27

I understand the OP's desire to shoot war photos. It's something he wants to do and I commend him for that. It's a desire that not many people have. Like policemen or firefighters. They want to protect people and save lives. I get it.

I once was asked to join a friend of mine to go to Iraq and be a truck driver hauling military equipment through Iraq & Kuwait. The pay would have been $100,000 for one years service but this was offered to me back when those guys were being hijacked and beheaded all of the time. I opted out only for that reason.

But I certainly understand why you want to do that type of work. I don't know where you would start but I wish you the best of luck.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 19, 2011 21:14 as a reply to  @ pbelarge's post |  #28

The Framed Life wrote in post #12622486 (external link)
I know french, no problem, and I'd never travel into conflicted territory unarmed. If they were intending to harm me, I wouldn't think twice about throwing it in reverse and running that guy over.

I'm not really sure I know how to respond to that :confused:.

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #12622496 (external link)

:lol:

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

The ­ Framed ­ Life
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 19, 2011 21:17 |  #29
bannedPermanent ban

CameraMan wrote in post #12622686 (external link)
I understand the OP's desire to shoot war photos. It's something he wants to do and I commend him for that. It's a desire that not many people have. Like policemen or firefighters. They want to protect people and save lives. I get it.

I once was asked to join a friend of mine to go to Iraq and be a truck driver hauling military equipment through Iraq & Kuwait. The pay would have been $100,000 for one years service but this was offered to me back when those guys were being hijacked and beheaded all of the time. I opted out only for that reason.

But I certainly understand why you want to do that type of work. I don't know where you would start but I wish you the best of luck.

Thank you for your response and understanding, my "Plan B" job has always been a police officer, I guess I'm just not destined for a 9-5 desk job.

Canon 30D

►►► 30D For Sale ◄◄◄
James Robertson

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 19, 2011 21:18 |  #30

If they were intending to harm me, I wouldn't think twice about throwing it in reverse and running that guy over.

The Framed Life wrote in post #12622729 (external link)
...my "Plan B" job has always been a police officer

Hmmm

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

sponsored links

19,283 views & 0 likes for this thread
What do I have to do to become a war/news photographer?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.