Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Jun 2011 (Saturday) 12:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

For Those of You Who Have Bought a Camera From B&H Photo

Jon_Doh
876 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 19, 2011 09:50 |  #16

To answer your original question, a camera they rate as an 8 can come in pretty good shape or it can be what most of would consider pretty rough. There is a large degree of latitude in how they rate their cameras. I've seen cameras rated EX + that had deep scratches on them. Hope this helps.

I use a Kodak Brownie

sponsored links
tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 19, 2011 14:21 |  #17

I'll second the www.keh.com (external link) referral and that of Adorama for used stuff. The latter has levels of used from excellent to bashed about, or something like that. They both will stand behind their products and warranties.

However, I will also second the idea of used being someone elses headache. You have to use the same sense that goes into buying a used car...except that cameras are pretty delicate instruments.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

Shakenbake158
THREAD ­ STARTER
244 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 19, 2011 21:07 |  #18

tvphotog wrote in post #12620754 (external link)
I'll second the www.keh.com (external link) referral and that of Adorama for used stuff. The latter has levels of used from excellent to bashed about, or something like that. They both will stand behind their products and warranties.

However, I will also second the idea of used being someone elses headache. You have to use the same sense that goes into buying a used car...except that cameras are pretty delicate instruments.

Yes, but dont stores like Adorama, and KEH go over the cameras and make sure they are like new? I mean like parts wise not cosmetically of course :D

Canon 5D Classic : Canon 28-70 F3.5-4.5, Yashica 28mm F2.8, Sigma 15-30 F3.5-4.5 EX DG, Canon 50mm F1.4
HP Zbook 15 : Intel i7-4600m, 8GB Ram, 750GB HD, K2100m/IntelHd 4600m, 1920x1080 Screen
Iphone 5

HTRN
341 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 19, 2011 21:25 |  #19

Shakenbake158 wrote in post #12615689 (external link)
Im looking an at XTi from B&H Photo, and it has a rating of 8 - http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …OS_Digital_Rebe​l_XTi.html (external link)

I was wondering if anyone has purcahsed a camera from B&H with a rating of 8 or another close rating.

Thanks

May I be honest here? If that is your budget, do yourself a favor and get a good point and shoot camera. Trust me, once you get started, it only gets worse. This is not a shallow pocket hobby. I know. I have over $6,000.00 in photo equipment and thinking about selling it all and taking up another hobby - like Russian Roulette!

Where the money goes

Shakenbake158
THREAD ­ STARTER
244 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 19, 2011 21:35 |  #20

HTRN wrote in post #12622766 (external link)
May I be honest here? If that is your budget, do yourself a favor and get a good point and shoot camera. Trust me, once you get started, it only gets worse. This is not a shallow pocket hobby. I know. I have over $6,000.00 in photo equipment and thinking about selling it all and taking up another hobby - like Russian Roulette!

I understand where your coming from, but I have had a point and shoot and I really dislike them.

Canon 5D Classic : Canon 28-70 F3.5-4.5, Yashica 28mm F2.8, Sigma 15-30 F3.5-4.5 EX DG, Canon 50mm F1.4
HP Zbook 15 : Intel i7-4600m, 8GB Ram, 750GB HD, K2100m/IntelHd 4600m, 1920x1080 Screen
Iphone 5

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,206 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 19, 2011 21:37 |  #21

Trique Daddi wrote in post #12619418 (external link)
You can usually buy a refurb and an extended 3 year warranty from Adorama and still save money. That's what I did with my 7D. Very Happy!

Happy Shopping!

adoramas warranty and the refibs are hard to pass up. Why buy new when you get a 3yr warranty v/s 1 yr from the factory. Smart way to go in my opinion. I baught my 5dc a couple years ago and it had a shutter count under 250. Was a damaged box brand new camera. I would buy another in a heartbeat and the 3yr warranty seals the deal for me.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

HTRN
341 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 19, 2011 21:55 |  #22

Shakenbake158 wrote in post #12622810 (external link)
I understand where your coming from, but I have had a point and shoot and I really dislike them.

We all do. But they have their place. I'm just saying - you won't be happy with the xti. I bought one used and within a month (give or take) I sold it and got the XSi. Even that wasn't enough. Then there's the lens selection, and of course you'll want a "real" flash. You'll start off with the cheaper models of everything, but you'll see the photos of those with better equipment and you'll just have to have it. Be forwarned, have a good payng job, or get a second job, or both and put your kids to work, too. lol

Where the money goes

Shakenbake158
THREAD ­ STARTER
244 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 19, 2011 23:25 |  #23

umphotography wrote in post #12622820 (external link)
adoramas warranty and the refibs are hard to pass up. Why buy new when you get a 3yr warranty v/s 1 yr from the factory. Smart way to go in my opinion. I baught my 5dc a couple years ago and it had a shutter count under 250. Was a damaged box brand new camera. I would buy another in a heartbeat and the 3yr warranty seals the deal for me.

Can your buy a warranty on used cameras?

Iphone 5

shaftmaster
Goldmember
1,429 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 20, 2011 00:02 |  #24

The used prices on KEH seem very high to me. $1249 for a 5D classic in bargain condition? That's almost ridiculous.

I'd check eBay, Craig's list, and this forum for better deals on used gear. I'm sure others will say that eBay and Craig's List are full of scammers, but there are plenty of honest sellers and eBay has some level of buyer protection if you use a credit card or even paypal. With Craig's List you need to check out the item thoroughly before buying which might be tough for a first time DSLR buyer. Anyway, that's my two cents.

Paul

Gear -- Flickr (external link)

HelenOster
That's me!
4,505 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 20, 2011 00:14 |  #25

umphotography wrote in post #12622820 (external link)
adoramas warranty and the refibs are hard to pass up. .......I would buy another in a heartbeat ......

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

HelenOster
That's me!
4,505 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 20, 2011 02:56 |  #26

Shakenbake158 wrote in post #12622661 (external link)
Yes, but dont stores like Adorama, and KEH go over the cameras and make sure they are like new? I mean like parts wise not cosmetically of course :D

No, not all. Used gear is graded, so while we'll clean items and service them, the price you pay reflects the condition of the unit, which could be like new - or suitable for parts only.

iwasinvertedx
718 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 20, 2011 03:15 |  #27

i bought an old film A2E from adorama and it was a E- rating. It came and works great. Cosmetically, its pretty clean other than few scuffs and some worn paint on the bottom.

I wouldn't go with anything older than an xsi, but the real concern is getting some decent lenses.

Portfolio (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,206 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 20, 2011 05:58 |  #28

HelenOster wrote in post #12623616 (external link)
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

Seriously, you guys have the best deals on the market with your warranty. Talk about peace of mind. I only buy from adorama and your competitor, B&H.

And give kudos to the guys in your education department. Great training videos and information for the newbs.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

3,108 views & 0 likes for this thread
For Those of You Who Have Bought a Camera From B&H Photo
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.