Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 09 Aug 2010 (Monday) 09:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: How to photograph a high school Senior

this thread is locked
Dave ­ Jr
Goldmember
1,873 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 18, 2011 09:07 |  #2896

umphotography wrote in post #12611399 (external link)
Bobby and Pham

Thanks a ton for the 411 on the ocf flash set ups and the ND filters. Lots to be learned from guys and girls in this thread. This is jessica. She is in her 3rd year of college and was one of my senior spokesmodels 4 years ago. I love her to pieces and we have become good friends. She is doing some modeling along with her 3 jobs and fulltime school schedule. No wonder she stays so darn skinny.

QUOTED IMAGE

Very nice, Mike, and I love the one you posted on FB.

Dave Jr - MN
5 (external link)px | Gear

sponsored links
bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,505 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 18, 2011 11:35 |  #2897

jmalonear wrote in post #12613885 (external link)
Very nice Bobby, I notice a second small catch light did you use a reflector or the wall become a reflector?

Maybe the wall of the building. It was a polished granite/marble kind of material.

Fuji XT-1, 18-55mm
Sony A7rIV, , Tamron 28-200mm, Sigma 40mm f1.4 Art FE, Sony 85mm f1.8 FE, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art FE
Fuji GFX50s, 23mm f4, 32-64mm, 45mm f2.8, 110mm f2, 120mm f4 macro
Canon 24mm TSE-II, 85mm f1.2 L II, 90mm TSE-II Macro, 300mm f2.8 IS I

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,505 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 18, 2011 11:36 |  #2898

sevillafox wrote in post #12614209 (external link)
Bobby can I be you?

You are much better. Wish I could do what you guys do.:D

BoneJj wrote in post #12614240 (external link)
Beautiful work Bobby... damn that wind shot is inspiring and no that is not that 12pack talking, it is the weekend... what can I say? Lol.

Thanks. This is my first shoot where I kept clicking as wind was swaying her hair.

umphotography wrote in post #12614452 (external link)
NIce shots Bobby. I think im done with speedlights on location. Medium softbox, AB800, VML, ND filters for this dude. I think i will start throwing in some geled light for rim lighting with the 580's

Thanks Mike. I am liking the AB800 combo with VML. And this new light stand that picked yesterday is real nice. Being handicapped carrying weight and walking is quite hard on me. Now with this lighstand I just roll. Very good for urban environment and stand is much beefier where I can put 7' octa 9 feet high if I have to. Here is the B&H link in case anyone is interested. To me lot better than C-stand.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_Wheeled_Light_​Stand.html (external link)

In case someone wants comparison bwteen A420 and A5017.

https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=12604614

Fuji XT-1, 18-55mm
Sony A7rIV, , Tamron 28-200mm, Sigma 40mm f1.4 Art FE, Sony 85mm f1.8 FE, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art FE
Fuji GFX50s, 23mm f4, 32-64mm, 45mm f2.8, 110mm f2, 120mm f4 macro
Canon 24mm TSE-II, 85mm f1.2 L II, 90mm TSE-II Macro, 300mm f2.8 IS I

sevillafox
I'm good with pathetic! Really, I am.
25,223 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 18, 2011 12:20 |  #2899

bobbyz wrote in post #12615392 (external link)
You are much better.

hahahahahahahahahahaha​hahahahahahahahahahaha​hahahahahahahahahahaha

Tiffany
hopeless smooshoholic......I smoosh!

Mossman6
952 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 19, 2011 08:35 as a reply to  @ post 12614240 |  #2900

Sorry I had a wedding yesterday, so not much activity here the past few days.

DinosaurioAllie wrote in post #12610920 (external link)
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 400 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

This one is better. Perhaps more contrast will make it pop more.

umphotography wrote in post #12611399 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

Nice shot. It does remind me of Phamster's shooting style. I'm assuming your loving your ND filters.

bobbyz wrote in post #12613717 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

The wind definitely made this shot work! I like.

My name is Josh. I love FB likes.
Facebook (external link)

Mossman6
952 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 19, 2011 09:18 |  #2901

Here's a few from a shoot last week.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

My name is Josh. I love FB likes.
Facebook (external link)

DwightMcCann
so, what are we talking about?
21,400 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 19, 2011 10:36 |  #2902

I don't remember posting any images here yet (but my memory isn't what is used to be) but I know I could use critique. I'm only now adding Seniors to my repertoire and don't expect to do a lot. Anyway, feel free to offer any suggestions.

#1 Nicole, against a garage door in Lompoc, California.

IMAGE: http://dwightmccann.com/Images/NomanySeniorPortraits/fullsize/NicoleNomanyMurals076-Edit.jpg

#2 Same door, trying to get her to imitate the painting.
IMAGE: http://dwightmccann.com/Images/NomanySeniorPortraits/fullsize/NicoleNomanyMurals094-Edit.jpg

#3 Beauty dish to left and bare reflector from right.
IMAGE: http://dwightmccann.com/Images/NomanySeniorPortraits/fullsize/NicoleNomanyMurals051-Edit.jpg

#4 Some studio captures ... I only have black and white seamless and generally prefer them to colored backgrounds, but I need to do what the kids want.
IMAGE: http://dwightmccann.com/Images/NomanySeniorPortraits/fullsize/Nomany089-Edit.jpg

IMAGE: http://dwightmccann.com/Images/NomanySeniorPortraits/fullsize/Nomany217-Edit.jpg

#6 Nicole has pretty bad skin on her face, but her Mom is a beautician, so with a little work in PS plus Portraiture Plugin, I think I managed to get a good result.
IMAGE: http://dwightmccann.com/Images/NomanySeniorPortraits/fullsize/Nomany087-Edit.jpg

Dwight McCann
Website (external link) - Facebook (external link)
Gear List - Concert FAQ - My Small Studio

BoneJj
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 19, 2011 23:24 |  #2903

dwight, I rather like that set. I like the fact that you have kept a natural texture across her face and not made her look plastic.... Well done on your processing.

Also, awesome on moms part for knowing how to work with her and doll up her baby, lol.

Also that garage door is pretty cool. I would love to see people in my area doing something like that....

--Bone | FSS (external link) | flickr (external link) | Gear list (external link) |

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
11,863 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 20, 2011 06:03 as a reply to  @ BoneJj's post |  #2904

nice set dwight. really dig #5. After watching tiffs viedo and seeing your work with portraiture, i may have to take a 2nd look.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

DwightMcCann
so, what are we talking about?
21,400 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 20, 2011 09:13 |  #2905

BoneJj wrote in post #12623371 (external link)
dwight, I rather like that set. I like the fact that you have kept a natural texture across her face and not made her look plastic.... Well done on your processing.

Also, awesome on moms part for knowing how to work with her and doll up her baby, lol.

Also that garage door is pretty cool. I would love to see people in my area doing something like that....

Nicole is both brilliant and a thespian. She was able to turn that natural smile on and off over and over and generally followed instructions well. She was accepted to Stanford University (a big deal) and we're looking for an open date this summer to shoot again before she is immersed in collage! She is Buddhist and has done extensive volunteer work supplying school materials to the poor in Laos where her parents are from. I really like her whole family.

I know some skin work is a bit smoother than others ... it is hard to get them totally consistent when there is so much damage and the lighting is different.

umphotography wrote in post #12624505 (external link)
nice set dwight. really dig #5. After watching tiffs viedo and seeing your work with portraiture, i may have to take a 2nd look.

There are a couple of nice things about Portraiture: skin smoothing but also I find I can warm the skin (there are a lot of options in the plugin) which is very nice for the paler people. I have it plus the NIK suite, Topaz Suite and onOne Suite but Imagenomic Portraiture is by far my most used filter.

Dwight McCann
Website (external link) - Facebook (external link)
Gear List - Concert FAQ - My Small Studio

Bclaf
75 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 20, 2011 13:06 |  #2906

Good news, I finally read through most of this thread, and learned TONS. Thanks everyone!

I plan on doing senior portraits for some of my friends, bad news is I don't have any strobes, the only flash I have is the pop-up one. I'll be doing some practice portraits with a friend of mine soon, but I don't have much knowledge of how to shoot portraits with ambient light, also for PP I don't have much/any experience in LR with portrait work :/ .. Hopefully I'll have some pics up soon hopefully for some constructive criticism :)!

Gripped 6D
Gripped Rebel T1i
Canon 24-105L/85mm f1.8/50mm f1.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/bclaf (external link)
IG: bclaf

CiM_Photography
Goldmember
1,813 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 20, 2011 13:54 |  #2907

Start basic - don't get complex with a lighting setup, lightstands, umbrellas, portable power, etc. until you've mastered the basics. You can do some really interesting things with ambient if you shoot at the bookends of the day!

And a single reflector can really do a great job. Use the sun as a back/hair/rim light and reflect it properly to illuminate the torso/face. You'd be surprised what you can do with that.

Just call me Jeremy. <Massachusetts Wedding & Portrait Photographer (external link) | Gear List>

sevillafox
I'm good with pathetic! Really, I am.
25,223 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 20, 2011 14:32 |  #2908

That^^^^

Tiffany
hopeless smooshoholic......I smoosh!

theone29
Goldmember
1,216 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 21, 2011 01:26 |  #2909

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2774/5855967386_b59b271397_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/thienn/58559673​86/  (external link)
danielle n. (external link) by www.tn|fotograffi.com (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5076/5855897284_51f2b2f2b9_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/thienn/58558972​84/  (external link)
danielle n. - all grown up (external link) by www.tn|fotograffi.com (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5036/5855966970_5692e2a7fa_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/thienn/58559669​70/  (external link)
danielle n. (external link) by www.tn|fotograffi.com (external link), on Flickr

Thien Nguyen | tn|fotograffi.com (external link)
MyFlickriver (external link) & MyFlickr (external link)
Please visit. C/C Welcome. Thank you.

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
11,863 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 21, 2011 06:27 as a reply to  @ theone29's post |  #2910

Thien

I like the exposures and work you did with the lighting. This is probably me but it looks to me like her smile is forced and not a relaxed expression. look at the mouth and nose and cheeks and forehead. Just lookes forced to me, like she is not so sure about whats going on, but it could just be her.

When i see this, i show the images to the client in the viewfinder and tell them, this looks forced like your not sure relaxed and does not look like a normal reaction. Lets try this w/o out a smile. Then i rework the set up, toss in some stuff to get a reaction and just see what happens. I could be completely off base here. Ive seen this a few times with my clients and get different results when i bring it to my clients attention.

Just a thought

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

2,886,069 views & 3 likes for this thread
How to photograph a high school Senior
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.