Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk 
Thread started 17 Jun 2011 (Friday) 16:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New to motorsport photography

VwFix
102 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 17, 2011 16:33 |  #1

So I am starting to shoot more and more AutoCross events.
I would love to get some feed back and constructive criticism to see how I can improve.
http://eugenes.zenfoli​o.com/p554743764 (external link)

I know focus is one of my issues and that is partially the cheap 70-300 sigma lens that hunts for focus a lot.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Redirected to error image by ZENFOLIO PROTECTED

450D + BG-E5,18-55mm, 50mm 1.8, Sigam 70-300 APO, Vivitar 285Hv + 283
My Gallery (external link)

sponsored links
VwFix
THREAD ­ STARTER
102 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 19, 2011 15:19 |  #2

Also I am currently charging a dollar a photo for digital copies do you guys think it is a fair price.

ZXDrew
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 20, 2011 13:39 |  #3

Wow. $1.00!

You'd have to sell evey photo at each event to maybe pay for gas, wear and tear, etc.

Head over to the Business of Photography Section: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdis​play.php?f=23

PhotoWolfe.com (external link)
Facebook.com/PhotoWolfe (external link)
Gear / My flickr (external link)

VwFix
THREAD ­ STARTER
102 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 20, 2011 14:16 |  #4

ZXDrew wrote in post #12626575 (external link)
Wow. $1.00!

You'd have to sell evey photo at each event to maybe pay for gas, wear and tear, etc.

Head over to the Business of Photography Section: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdis​play.php?f=23

Well I go to the events to race myself and take photos during the run groups that I do not race so it is really something on the side as I would be at the events anyways.

ZXDrew
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 20, 2011 14:36 |  #5

Then why not pay for your tires or other car goodies. Grab a name, a domain, a smugmug (or backprint.com) site and make some money. A little marketing, a banner or even lettering on the car, and you're set.

VwFix
THREAD ­ STARTER
102 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 20, 2011 14:57 |  #6

Thanks, main thing is I was not sure if my shots are worth more than a dollar for digital copies.
I am currently using zenfolio which seems to be decent.
BASIC plan is to use the money from the photos to pay for new camera gear.

andrewc
Goldmember
1,403 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 20, 2011 15:23 as a reply to  @ VwFix's post |  #7

You could quite fairly charge 10x that for a digital file.

There has to be easier ways of making $1!

Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography • Facebook Entry • Canon EOS 7D / 50D / 40D / 24-105L / Sigma 100-300 f4 / 50mm f1.8 / Tamron 28-300 / 2x Canon 580EX2 flash / Interfit and Lastolite studio gear / Manfrotto supports / Lowepro Stealth Reporter AW650 and Computrekker

ZXDrew
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 20, 2011 15:31 |  #8

You're photos are pretty good, but the more you shoot the better they'll get. The only CC I'd have on your photos is to shoot a little tighter. Also remember to shoot tight, but loose enough someone could by a 8x10 if they wanted.

Its not about what "you" think they're worth. Its about what others will pay you for your work. I make get a shot that is absolutely terrible, but low and behold it'll sell. For someone that little off focus shot that isn't quite right, might be exactly what they're looking for. Looking around online, I'm sure you've seen "pros" that you wonder why would someone pay these people for thier shots, but people do. Remember the value of your shot is what people will pay.

Also review your sales. Often times you'll find shots that people will buy more times than others. I shooting running/cycling races, and I had a killer finish line shot lined up for everyone. But before the race ultra wide 12mm remote camera which fired from the opposite side from me. People bought more shots from my remote than they did from my shot. Now I mainly shoot finish lines with a 16-35 2.8 lens.

VwFix
THREAD ­ STARTER
102 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 20, 2011 15:40 |  #9

Thanks that is some great info for me to keep in mind :)

Dennis ­ Valet
515 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 20, 2011 18:30 as a reply to  @ VwFix's post |  #10

I know it's hard with autocross, but I would watch your backgrounds.

Also, some of the best autocross shots are the ones where you can see the driver through the windshield while the car is getting some serious body roll on turn in. Really makes for a dramatic shot that most people enjoy. Sort of like what you have in #2, but tighter crop, and a more dramatic entry...like so

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Maybe even a little more head on! And I second the idea that you're selling your photos for too cheap! :biglaugh:

Jim ­ M
Goldmember
1,656 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 25, 2011 22:46 |  #11

Way too cheap. I sell a cheap digital version, but it is small. More pixels means higher price. And ZXDrew is absolutely right. Although I weed out the truly bad stuff, that marginal shot that we might throw away can occasionally be someone else's treasure because uncle Fred is in the background and it was the only picture they have of him or some such. It's sometimes hard to predict what will motivate a buyer.

sponsored links

2,804 views & 0 likes for this thread
New to motorsport photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.