Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
Thread started 05 Mar 2006 (Sunday) 22:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

NYC Marathon 2005 (Dial Up User Beware)

BottomBracket
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,398 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Mar 07, 2006 15:23 |  #16

Thanks for viewing all, and taking the time to respond in kind words. It seems that there is a pic for everyone. I shot a lot of pics during the marathon, and it was very hard to pick a few to show. I would like to apologize for some not being able to view the pics yesterday, as the server hosting my photos was down for some unscheduled maintenance.

I did post a teaser pic last year, and I believe Richard (El Twitcho) hasn't seen it yet. Here it is again:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Thanks for viewing, once again.

Pio
Veni, Vidi, Canoni - I Came, I Saw, I Took A Picture With My Canon
Fotopio.com - Gallery of the Meandering Eye (external link)
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.

sponsored links
mson
697 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Mar 07, 2006 23:16 |  #17

All great shots, but I LOVE #1.

--Mike--
Critique with ruthless compassion
Canon 20D | 24-70 f/2.8L | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | 430EX | 055XPROB/488RC2

eenorton
Goldmember
2,362 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Mar 08, 2006 18:20 |  #18

Ah. I remember this teaser from last year and like it a lot. Thanks for sharing all the "loonie" shots! :)

Beth

jwbker
130 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 08, 2006 18:42 as a reply to  @ eenorton's post |  #19

BB-Can't believe it's already been five months since then.

I particularly like #6, the color of his shoes work out enough to me to make his feet have flames coming off the back, sort of a fiery mercury. What do you think--was that what you were going for?

James

johnnybfan
Goldmember
1,551 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 09, 2006 19:00 |  #20

I like #1 & #6. But they're all nice.

jim

40D w/Grip X 2, Canon 10-22, Canon 24-70mm f2.8L
, Canon 100-400L IS, Nifty Fifty, Canon 430 EX Flash

BottomBracket
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,398 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Mar 09, 2006 21:36 |  #21

mson, eenorton, jim, thanks for viewing and for the kind feedback! eenorton, I really enjoyed taking the loonie shots, it made the day a happy one.
James, I was trying to capture fluid movement in a photograph. Nothing expresses it better than blur, I believe. I clicked a lot of panned shots using a slow shutter speed - most were crap but there were a few keepers. I am glad you saw what I was going for in the photo, sort of. To me it looks like a bit like Umberto Boccioni's sculpture, "Unique Forms of Continuity In Space". Sort of :)

Pio

ChopstickHero
678 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 09, 2006 22:03 |  #22

very nice series. what kind of camera/lens do you use?

Canon 40D and 350D :: Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS :: Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS :: Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 :: Canon BG-E2 & BG-E3 :: Canon 430EX Speedlite :: Crumpler 6MDH & The Whickey and Cox

wintoid
609 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 10, 2006 01:01 |  #23

Great shots BB. As an unfit person who would never dream of running a marathon, I'm amazed at how many of your shots include people who aren't completely lean and athletic.

Regards,
Simon

eenorton
Goldmember
2,362 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Mar 10, 2006 06:33 |  #24

BottomBracket,

I wasn't familiar with your reference to Umberto Boccioni, but google is a wonderful thing. For anyone else similarly unfamiliar, I found this photo on Wikipedia and think the likeness is quite good! :)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Beth

Croasdail
making stuff up
8,049 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 10, 2006 07:56 |  #25

Another must do someday series. You did a great job capturing the feeling of the event. Not much more to say - it's all been said before. Thanks for letting us see this through your eyes. Cheers.

Elisabeth-Ann
Goldmember
2,360 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 10, 2006 12:20 |  #26

Wonderful series of shots - I would imagine the juggler was doing that to take his mind off the pain!!;) Hypnotherapy!!

Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop. -Ansel Adams
Please visit my website at www.expressionsbyann.c​om (external link)
350D
300D
Tokina 24-70mm
Canon 75-300mm, Canon 430EX Speedlite
18-55mm kit
Singh-Ray gold'n'blue polarizer
Tiffen ND, and polarizer

BottomBracket
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,398 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Mar 11, 2006 18:25 as a reply to  @ Elisabeth-Ann's post |  #27

ChopstickHero, thanks! I used a 20d, 17-40, 70-200, and a 50mm for this series.

Wintoid, thanks for the comments! I won't say that running a marathon is easy, but it is certainly doable with a bit of training. It is also about the only race an ordinary person can join and be with world class athletes too. That said, you are right, there were a lot of non-athletic types, and they were having the time of their lives. :)

eenorton, I'm glad you see the resemblance to Boccioni's work :)

Croasdail, Thanks for the kind words! Actually there is much more to the event, the crowd of people on the sidewalk, bands playing, smiles and high fives all around, spextators egging on the runners, etc. Hard to express the whole feeling in just a handful of photographs......

Elisabeth, thanks! The juggler was pretty upbeat so his strategy works. This was at around mile 9 though, not sure if he kept juggling the whole way.

Pio

sponsored links

2,586 views & 0 likes for this thread
NYC Marathon 2005 (Dial Up User Beware)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.