Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk 
Thread started 18 Jun 2011 (Saturday) 09:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Practice turned profit?

PeyDay17
Goldmember
1,333 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 18, 2011 09:18 |  #1

Last year around this time...I crashed really hard riding moto. My priorities have changed since I mangled my shoulder, feared for my job and lost almost all my money while spending 4 months off of work healing from surgery. I've decided to sell my bikes and focus on my photography. Its a lot safer...

Thursday it was really nice out. I loaded up my daughter and camera and we headed to my favorite track to watch and take pictures. I loved it. I have a good idea where to stand to get the best shots because I used to ride and I love this sport.

While I was standing there shooting I had a few riders come off the track asking where they can see the pics and how they get them. One guy said " I was really trying to throw it down hard for ya in that rut!". I was pretty excited but I didn't have anything on me that I could give them. No cards or contact info...I was there for me.

But it showed me that guys had an interest in getting some shots of themselves while they where practicing. I have no idea what to do though. Should I just keep practicing and email them a couple images for free? Charge them for a cd with 15-20 images? What do I charge? Anything I should do legally?

I went there to enjoy myself and I came away with 4 to 5 guys telling me how cool it was I was taking pics at the track. Shooting moto would keep me involved in the sport I love without risking my income due to riding injuries. Any advice on what steps I should take to build a side business shooting the sport I love so much?

Sorry this turned into such a long post...

SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Gear and Feedback

sponsored links
fortisi876
493 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 19, 2011 14:27 |  #2

Your story is very similar to mine except my love/passion is for mc roadracing. If you're totally serious about going down this path then my suggestion would be to do a few searches for 'motocross pro photographers' websites and see what they're charging for similar type images. Maybe start in the Motocross Photographers Unite thread???

Just know it's not a cheap hobby and once you get into or addicted to it. :)

I'll try to answer a few of your questions below:

PeyDay17 wrote in post #12614935 (external link)
Should I just keep practicing and email them a couple images for free?
NO, you'd be surprised how quickly word will get around and when they see you charging now they'll just get turned off about it.

Charge them for a cd with 15-20 images?
You'll need to see what the going rate is and for what amount of pictures. For trackday enthusiasts it could be as many as 50-75 shots for about $75.

What do I charge?
See above.

Anything I should do legally?
Depending if you're visiting MX parks, etc... just be sure the owner knows you're on their grounds taking photo's. Wearing a construction vest would be a good idea too.

Any advice on what steps I should take to build a side business shooting the sport I love so much?

If you're 100% positive this is something you want and can do for profit, I'd suggest signing up for Zenfolio (referral code >7UD-TNF-XXD :D), SmugMug, etc..... account, print some business cards or flyers and get your daughter busy passing them out while you're grabbing some frames out there.

Good luck!

PeyDay17
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,333 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 19, 2011 17:08 |  #3

fortisi876 wrote in post #12620787 (external link)
Your story is very similar to mine except my love/passion is for mc roadracing. If you're totally serious about going down this path then my suggestion would be to do a few searches for 'motocross pro photographers' websites and see what they're charging for similar type images. Maybe start in the Motocross Photographers Unite thread???

Just know it's not a cheap hobby and once you get into or addicted to it. :)

I'll try to answer a few of your questions below:

If you're 100% positive this is something you want and can do for profit, I'd suggest signing up for Zenfolio (referral code >7UD-TNF-XXD :D), SmugMug, etc..... account, print some business cards or flyers and get your daughter busy passing them out while you're grabbing some frames out there.

Good luck!

Thank you very much for the advice. I had a blast out there. I'm trying to sell my dirtbike now...when it does I plan on up grading to a 5dii and getting a 70-200 f/4 IS to be my moto workhorse.

I already have a smugmug account so I'm good there. I'm gonna try to design some cards to hand out the next time I'm able to get out to the track.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your time.

SpeciallySpiked
54 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 19, 2011 17:34 |  #4

If it helps, I do the same thing with AutoCrosses/RallyCross​es. I charge $5 a photo and tend to make deals (usually $20 for all of the (usually 20 or so) photos) for multiple images.

Sure some people gawk about paying for an image but when you point out the cost of your equipment, your time, and more they tend to shut up. Especially in a dusty environment - I ruined a good 100-300mm lens from the dust. It sucked but it's a good reason to charge.

ZXDrew
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 20, 2011 13:48 |  #5

You might consider a 7D or a 1D series camera if you're going to get into shooting action. The frames per second (FPS) of the 5DmkII are not ideal for sports. Plus the crop factor on a 7D (1.6x) or 1D series (1.3x) would help you get more reach.

I started shooting running/cycling/triath​lons because my fiancĂ© is a runner. Don't sell yourself short. Consider the cost of doing business in your pricing. There is no reason for you have to pay to take pictures for others. At least price your shots to pay for your gear after X amount of time. I started charging about half what I charge now for a shot. I sold a lot, but now that I raised my prices I don't sell as many shots, but I make more overall. From my first paid photo to now its been 10 months and I've easily paid for all my gear.

PhotoWolfe.com (external link)
Facebook.com/PhotoWolfe (external link)
Gear / My flickr (external link)

fortisi876
493 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 20, 2011 17:52 |  #6

PeyDay17 wrote in post #12621442 (external link)
Thank you very much for the advice.

Not a problem. As ZXDrew mentioned and without turning this thread in a huge equipment debate.....I'd HIGHLY consider looking to buy a 1D series body, more specifically, a used MkIIN or III would be a great choice and would probably walk away spending less than a brand new 5DMkII if that was your plan. 5D is a great camera but more so for portrait type work.

Regarding glass, again go for used high end equipment.....

I say this about the pro series line cuz aside from it being top rate......that stuff tends to be sealed off nicely and have weather seal on their lenses which should help keep water and dust out of your otherwise expensive gear.

PeyDay17
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,333 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 20, 2011 17:56 |  #7

ZXDrew wrote in post #12626646 (external link)
You might consider a 7D or a 1D series camera if you're going to get into shooting action. The frames per second (FPS) of the 5DmkII are not ideal for sports. Plus the crop factor on a 7D (1.6x) or 1D series (1.3x) would help you get more reach.

I started shooting running/cycling/triath​lons because my fiancĂ© is a runner. Don't sell yourself short. Consider the cost of doing business in your pricing. There is no reason for you have to pay to take pictures for others. At least price your shots to pay for your gear after X amount of time. I started charging about half what I charge now for a shot. I sold a lot, but now that I raised my prices I don't sell as many shots, but I make more overall. From my first paid photo to now its been 10 months and I've easily paid for all my gear.

Thanks for the advice. I originally wanted the 5d2 for portrait work (mostly family shots). Now I have been looking at the 7d for the fps. Im sure the 7d is no slouch with my 85 1.8 or a 50 1.4 or 24L II attached to the front of it. The 7d may be a cheaper, better body for me. hmmm...

PeyDay17
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,333 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 20, 2011 18:05 |  #8

fortisi876 wrote in post #12627954 (external link)
Not a problem. As ZXDrew mentioned and without turning this thread in a huge equipment debate.....I'd HIGHLY consider looking to buy a 1D series body, more specifically, a used MkIIN or III would be a great choice and would probably walk away spending less than a brand new 5DMkII if that was your plan. 5D is a great camera but more so for portrait type work.

Regarding glass, again go for used high end equipment.....

I say this about the pro series line cuz aside from it being top rate......that stuff tends to be sealed off nicely and have weather seal on their lenses which should help keep water and dust out of your otherwise expensive gear.

I have been thinking about the body selection as stated above ^^^. Ive never really even looked at the 1d series...I will watch for used to pop up.

Regarding glass, I was thinking about getting a 24-105 f4 and a 70-200 f2.8 for shooting motocross. I love primes but Im thinking the value and versatility of zooms really is needed for this type of shooting.

I took my XSi to a flat track motorcycle race one time. I stopped shooting half way through the day because it was getting covered with dirt. I didn't want to chance it. The pro series is definitely the way to go when you're shooting in the types of conditions you'll find around a motocross track!

Thanks for all the great advice everyone.

macroshooter1970
Cream of the Crop
7,493 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 20, 2011 18:14 |  #9

Like the other member said a used MkIIN or III, if you can I'd go with a III. Good luck, hope it takes off for you.

PeyDay17
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,333 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 20, 2011 18:21 |  #10

macroshooter1970 wrote in post #12628068 (external link)
Like the other member said a used MkIIN or III, if you can I'd go with a III. Good luck, hope it takes off for you.

Thank you very much.

macroshooter1970
Cream of the Crop
7,493 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 20, 2011 18:29 |  #11

You're welcome.

old ­ git
125 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 27, 2011 15:36 |  #12

PeyDay17 wrote in post #12614935 (external link)
Last year around this time...I crashed really hard riding moto. My priorities have changed since I mangled my shoulder, feared for my job and lost almost all my money while spending 4 months off of work healing from surgery. I've decided to sell my bikes and focus on my photography. Its a lot safer...

Thursday it was really nice out. I loaded up my daughter and camera and we headed to my favorite track to watch and take pictures. I loved it. I have a good idea where to stand to get the best shots because I used to ride and I love this sport.

While I was standing there shooting I had a few riders come off the track asking where they can see the pics and how they get them. One guy said " I was really trying to throw it down hard for ya in that rut!". I was pretty excited but I didn't have anything on me that I could give them. No cards or contact info...I was there for me.

But it showed me that guys had an interest in getting some shots of themselves while they where practicing. I have no idea what to do though. Should I just keep practicing and email them a couple images for free? Charge them for a cd with 15-20 images? What do I charge? Anything I should do legally?

I went there to enjoy myself and I came away with 4 to 5 guys telling me how cool it was I was taking pics at the track. Shooting moto would keep me involved in the sport I love without risking my income due to riding injuries. Any advice on what steps I should take to build a side business shooting the sport I love so much?

Sorry this turned into such a long post...

Heard this story so many times...lol... give up riding four years ago, haven't seen wife since then, out every weekend...

1d mk3 is superb for mx, but have a look at the 40d aswell, I do alot of OCF in my mx shots, 40d is excellent for this work..

70-200 f4 is a nice lens, if your lights good all year, I struggled abit during winter (UK) so soon upgraded to the 2.8... ahort lens 24-105 works well also ultra wides seems to be the thing, starting using a 10mm fishy about 3 years ago with some nice images....

Colin

www.imagemx.webs.com (external link)
www.anaturalimage.co.u​k (external link)

PeyDay17
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,333 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 22, 2011 08:58 as a reply to  @ old git's post |  #13

Thought I would let you guys know I bought a new 7d. Yesterday I shot a motocross race. The pics are here. https://photography-on-the.net …read.php?t=8004​35&page=94

I really enjoy it so far! Now I need to replace my kit lenses. The focusing motor on my 85mm put the 18-55 and 55-250 to shame yesterday!!! I'm thinking either a 135L or a 70-200 2.8 would be excellent.

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
6,980 posts
Gallery: 407 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 24, 2011 12:09 |  #14

I have been down this path, but with road coarse in a car...although I can't seem to fully give it up. I have turned it into a few times a year side project, that makes enough to support my camera habit...

get the 70-200, you will be much happier with it for outdoor work where you don't want to be restricted to a prime lens like the 135...the 70-200 2.8 is the workhorse of most Motorsports photographers.

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

2,860 views & 0 likes for this thread
Practice turned profit?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.