Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 20 Jun 2011 (Monday) 21:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Composition advice?

ShaneKPhotography
831 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 20, 2011 21:45 |  #1

I really think this scene has a lot of potential but I am having trouble capturing it. Any advice on composition? Or anything else for that matter?
Aperture: F/8
Exposure: 1/160
Iso: 100
Focal Length: 50mm
Flash: None
Program: Manual

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5160/5854899179_ceabcd1d77_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …ekphotography/5​854899179/  (external link)
06-20-11 Wheat crop (external link) by ShaneK Photography (external link), on Flickr

Rebel XS Gripped, EF-S 18-55, EF 50 f/1.8, Tamron SP 70-300, 430 EX II, Sigma DG OS 150-500.
flickr (external link) || Facebook (external link) || Website (external link)

sponsored links
jackirons
344 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 20, 2011 21:53 |  #2

I like the way you framed it there. I would maybe try going for a wider shot.

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/135044799@N03/ (external link)

DannySC
186 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 20, 2011 22:00 |  #3

50mm just doesn't cut it for landscape photography in my opinion. You should work on the framing of the picture, try to make the horizon the subject and have the picture have a nice depth going into the horizon. A couple steps back and camera tilted so you get some more of that nice blue sky would've made this picture better also or even a little more of that tree/branch thing right in the front left instead of cutting the top of it off. Another thing I could add to the framing is maybe have a another pole on the right side to create some symmetry in the picture. If you're not satisfied take 100 shots of just this from every angle your bound to find one you like!

dannychansavath.com (external link)

ShaneKPhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
831 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 20, 2011 22:34 |  #4

Thanks for the advice guys I forgot to mention though there is a sign and telephone pole just outside the frame right which is quite the hinderance. I'll definitely be giving it another go though.

Rebel XS Gripped, EF-S 18-55, EF 50 f/1.8, Tamron SP 70-300, 430 EX II, Sigma DG OS 150-500.

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 20, 2011 23:15 |  #5

Maybe the reason you are having a hard time capturing it is because the scene doesn't have a lot of potential. From my experience the best landscape captures take very little work. The scene is either completely engaging in some form or it isn't. If it isn't not a loss but it might be more work to figure out what your interests are and how to take advantage of that.

ShaneKPhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
831 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 21, 2011 00:14 |  #6

jetcode wrote in post #12629758 (external link)
Maybe the reason you are having a hard time capturing it is because the scene doesn't have a lot of potential. From my experience the best landscape captures take very little work. The scene is either completely engaging in some form or it isn't. If it isn't not a loss but it might be more work to figure out what your interests are and how to take advantage of that.

Thanks for the insight.

focus.pocus
Goldmember
3,423 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 21, 2011 03:06 |  #7

honestly I think I'd like to see more of the fence and less of the background... would just make a more interesting shot... I am really drawn to nothing in the photo... but it's jmho...

I know, right? I'm just sayin'...

Crocodile101
186 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 21, 2011 09:52 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

Only thing I like is the fence, I would look for a better shot with the fence as the main subject.

You don't take a photograph, you make it. Ansel Adams.

ckramos
179 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 21, 2011 11:20 |  #9

PP some bulby things on the bare grass reeds on the right and 'fake bokeh' the field and forest.
or
cut a 1/3 off the top.
or
cut a 1/3 off the right

5d2 | 580ex ii | 35-70mm f3.5-4.5 | 50mm f1.4 | 17-40mm f4

treeoflife08
63 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 21, 2011 11:47 |  #10

Here's my take on your picture's composition... hope you don't mind my tampering with it. This is a 2 minute photoshop effort so apologies to the PS experts out here.

I agree with the above comments... I would have zoomed out to include more of the sky... used the tree on the right to frame.. alongwith the fence below as my lower frame.

Finally, did you use a Circ Polariser for this shot? I have a feeling that the use of one would have made the colors (esp. of the sky and field) pop out more. Just a thought.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 21, 2011 12:00 |  #11

IMO the original is better since it gives the viewer an intimate reference to the fence and the entire frame rather than fence the being a framing support to the field and trees.

DenZ
396 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 21, 2011 12:49 |  #12

I feel like there should be something on the right side of the frame to balance the image out or perhaps, as others have already said, the frame should contain more of the fence; my eyes are constantly drawn to the shrubs on the left even though it doesn't seem to be the main subject.

BLOG (external link) | Equipment | flickr (external link) | dentonzhou.com (external link) | Learn something new from 16,000+ online courses (external link)

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,329 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Jun 21, 2011 13:11 |  #13

It looks a touch unbalanced to me. I'd be thinking about panning a little bit to the right. I'm not sure. As somebody else observed, there's not a lot to work with here. If you moved closed in order to have the fence serve as a frame, be sure to stay clear of that poison ivy growing under the rail.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

sponsored links

1,296 views & 0 likes for this thread
Composition advice?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.