Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 21 Jun 2011 (Tuesday) 14:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Plenoptic camera?

rmendis
82 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 22, 2011 07:53 |  #16

Breaking News: Startup That Will Change Photography Forever!

Ever wish you could go back in time and re-focus that almost perfect shot (depth-of-field and all)?

With new camera technology from a startup called Lytro, you will soon be able to.
Words cannot express how this will change the industry forever.

Check it out for yourself in the Lytro gallery: http://www.lytro.com/p​icture_gallery (external link)

It's making headlines all over the news today:
http://online.wsj.com …0.html?mod=goog​lenews_wsj (external link)

For those who want more info in the post, here is a message from the Lytro CEO, a Stanford PHD in imaging:

Today, I am proud to announce the launch of Lytro and share our plans to bring an amazing new kind of camera to the consumer market.

This journey started for me eight years ago when I was in the PhD program at Stanford University. I loved photography then as I do now, but I was frustrated and puzzled by the apparent limitations of cameras. For example, I remember trying to take photos of Mei-Ahn, the five-year-old daughter of a close friend, but because she was so full of life, it was nearly impossible to capture the fleeting moments of her smile or perfectly focus the light in her eyes.

That experience inspired me to start the research that became my dissertation on light field photography, which had capabilities beyond what I could have ever hoped for. The journey soon accelerated with a full-body plunge into the world of entrepreneurship, with a dream to share this new technology with the world.

Today
I am thrilled to finally draw back the curtain and introduce our new light field camera company, one that will forever change how everyone takes and experiences pictures. Lytro’s company launch is truly the start of a picture revolution.

What began in a lab at Stanford University has transformed into a world-class company, forty-four people strong, sparkling with talent, energy and inspiration. It has taken a lot of hard work, late nights and tireless dedication to get Lytro to this point. I want to thank the entire team for their remarkable contributions, spirit, and camaraderie. I want to especially thank the very first believers: Colvin, Tim and Alex, the original magic engine of the company, and Manu, Charles and Allen for personally doing so much to help build this company. Besides the Lytro team, I want to thank my family, and my fiancé Yi (pictured above) for their continued support, confidence, and love.

We have something special here. Our mission is to change photography forever, making conventional cameras a thing of the past. Humans have always had a fundamental need to share our stories visually, and from cave paintings to digital cameras we have been on a long search for ways to make a better picture. Light field cameras are the next big step in that picture revolution.

The Future
Today is a big day for Lytro, but I believe it is just the beginning of a bright and exciting future. Photographers and casual shooters alike will be able to create and share new living pictures. I believe that as people begin to use light field cameras, we will see an explosion in new kinds of photographic art. It will be another wonderful journey to see how people use light field cameras, see where these new living pictures travel, and discover how each person chooses to take this revolution.

Welcome to Lytro! I hope you’ll follow us on the Lytro Blog, so we can keep you updated about the introduction of our first Lytro camera.

sponsored links
tricky500
424 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 22, 2011 08:06 as a reply to  @ rmendis's post |  #17

Wow...

- Paul

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,283 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 22, 2011 08:19 as a reply to  @ rmendis's post |  #18

This has been floating around for a couple of years and it's nice to see I wouldn't say it would change the industry, but it certainly is a nice advancement. Sure would have liked to see them go the licensing route though. I sense all we will see is a P/S style camera.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 22, 2011 08:36 as a reply to  @ rmendis's post |  #19

They should license this to the companies that already make cameras.

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,509 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 22, 2011 08:36 as a reply to  @ rmendis's post |  #20

Put this technology on 5D II :lol: :lol:

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

gjl711
56,283 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 22, 2011 08:39 |  #21

rick_reno wrote in post #12638162 (external link)
They should license this to the companies that already make cameras.

Exactly, I sense another Foveon. :(

EC.Photo
232 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 22, 2011 08:55 as a reply to  @ rmendis's post |  #22

Engadget has a video of it here:

http://www.engadget.co​m …nted-images-lets-you-cho/ (external link)

My Gear (external link) | My Website (external link)

ekinnyc
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 22, 2011 09:11 as a reply to  @ rmendis's post |  #23

just read about this.... subbed to this thread for discussion

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,863 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 22, 2011 09:28 as a reply to  @ ekinnyc's post |  #24

Does not look like a big deal to me. Good camera and a zoom and knowing what you are doing does the same thing for stills. Would be good for PP to be able to change things up. Dont see how its going to change photography. Its still aperature,shutter speed, and iso.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

gjl711
56,283 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 22, 2011 09:36 |  #25

umphotography wrote in post #12638469 (external link)
... Dont see how its going to change photography. Its still aperature,shutter speed, and iso.

There are a few things that become obsolete like front and back focus threads. :)

ViciousCircle
284 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 22, 2011 09:52 as a reply to  @ post 12636354 |  #26

Here's another article about Lytro with some nice sample images that you can click to change the focus point.
http://www.petapixel.c​om …hotography-as-we-know-it/ (external link)

Shar824
Cream of the Crop
11,990 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 22, 2011 11:45 |  #27

Camera focuses AFTER you take the shot.....

Very interesting video and article

Full article at link..
http://edition.cnn.com …tml?eref=mrss_i​google_cnn (external link)

(CNN) -- An auto-focus camera? Not new. Not exciting. A camera that lets you focus after you've already taken the photo? And lets you focus anywhere within the image you want? That's got people talking and, according to its creator, is the start of "a picture revolution."
Oh yeah -- it can also transfer a regular photo to 3-D.

Lytro (external link), a company launched Tuesday by 31-year-old entrepreneur Ren Ng, promises that camera will be released soon.

"I am thrilled to finally draw back the curtain and introduce our new light field camera company, one that will forever change how everyone takes and experiences pictures," Ng wrote on the startup's blog. "Lytro's company launch is truly the start of a picture revolution."

Sharon

"If you want to see birds, you must have birds in your heart." -- John Burroughs

bior
348 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 22, 2011 11:47 as a reply to  @ Shar824's post |  #28

I've been hearing rumors about focus-on-the-chip for a while, but it's nice to see a demo to know that it actually exists and isn't a myth! Thanks

Branden - amateur photographer for hire / bored systems administrator probably posting from work
Weapons of choice: 5D2 and a T3 / website will return soon

C-M2
59 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 22, 2011 11:48 as a reply to  @ Shar824's post |  #29

Looking forward to seeing what he can "produce".

Canon 7D + a bunch of L glass

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,401 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Jun 22, 2011 12:02 as a reply to  @ Shar824's post |  #30

I'll believe it when I see the results on something other than a web page. The only way that I can see this being done is with focus stacking and software. Or if they invented a scanning technology that does not use lenses and stores three dimensional coordinates. In that case, it would seem to me that everything would be in focus. So they'd have to add in blurring as an after effect in order to defocus areas of the image.

Some of the images on the web site did not have good focus to start out with.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

sponsored links

13,680 views & 0 likes for this thread
Plenoptic camera?
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.