Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 16 Jun 2011 (Thursday) 19:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Should Have Listened .... (Tripod Related)

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 22, 2011 14:59 |  #16

Justaddwata wrote in post #12624323 (external link)
Hey thats awesome - OP was looking at $100 tripods (https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1054180) and your recommending a set of $600 legs

No, I didnt recommend anything. What I DID do was briefly explain my experience with a similar situation and yes, a $600 set of tripod legs finally ended up being the solution to my problem. I was hoping to pass along the info as who knows, perhaps the OP will follow the same path.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

sponsored links
mhazlett
404 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 22, 2011 16:40 |  #17

You wont get anything much lighter for less. I use the Gitzo 410 Reference about ten lbs. just the legs... to me your tripod sounds light!!

WEBSITE (external link)

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,604 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 22, 2011 16:44 |  #18

If that SLIK tripod is really under 6lbs, I don't get what the big deal is. Just strap it to a backpack and you won't even notice it is there.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

equach206
307 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 22, 2011 18:53 |  #19

I also have the Slik 700DX; while I'll admit that it's pretty heavy (about 7lbs with a head), I don't feel that it's nearly as heavy as you make it sound. I'm a small guy (5' 5", 135lbs) and it doesn't seem like a huge weight to carry around. Granted, I wouldn't want to take it on a 10 mile hike, but it's fine for a quick walk around a park or from your car to a shoot location.

5D | 50D | 60 f/2.8 Macro | 85 f/1.8 | 17-40 f/4L | 70-200 f/2.8L | 430EX
Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,290 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jun 22, 2011 23:09 as a reply to  @ post 12639924 |  #20

I DON'T THINK ONE TRIPOD WILL DO IT ALL...

I use a Giottos MT-8180 with a Giottos MH-1300 head. This is a wonderfully versatile triopd and head. It is solid and can support any weight I might be inclined to mount on top of it and is articuating which allows me to place the camera just about any place. But at close to eight pounds, this tripod and head is too heavy for boonie tromping and for air travel.

I use a modified SLIK 330 DX which weighs less than two pounds with an Adorama F-1 head. It would not be my first choice as a general use tripod but, for my uses, it is great.

Sometimes compromises in equipment just don't work. You need the right wrench for the right bolt...

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

BzBrian
72 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 23, 2011 02:00 |  #21

Like everyone else, SKIP the 055XPROB you WILL regret it. Trust me, it's a very heavy tripod.

I eventually chose the Fesiol 3441S instead. I didn't want to get the Feisol 3441T because of its longer length and even though I'm 6'1" I'm sixteen years old so I won't be having any back pains...

Anyways, I'd recommend a light CF alternative. If Gitzo is too costly, Feisol is a GREAT alternative.

I'm a happy Canon SLR and Leica rangefinder user. bw!

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 23, 2011 09:20 |  #22

BzBrian wrote in post #12643243 (external link)
Like everyone else, SKIP the 055XPROB you WILL regret it. Trust me, it's a very heavy tripod.

I eventually chose the Fesiol 3441S instead. I didn't want to get the Feisol 3441T because of its longer length and even though I'm 6'1" I'm sixteen years old so I won't be having any back pains...

Anyways, I'd recommend a light CF alternative. If Gitzo is too costly, Feisol is a GREAT alternative.

I travel at least 8 times a year (by air) and take my 055XPROB with me, and when I get where I'm going I hike, walk around and take buses with it. If the weight of this tripod vs. the carbon fiber models concerns you, something is wrong. The weight difference between them isn't worth worrying about.

vipergts831
Has the TF retired? Or just being utterly lazy?
44,072 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Location: Taking better shots with an iPhone than MDJAK with a 1DX

Jun 23, 2011 11:19 |  #23

peter_n wrote in post #12622082 (external link)
It does sound like you need a light(ish) travel tripod. Benro, Feisol, Gitzo, Sirui; they're all good in different ways. I actually started with the Gitzo/Markins and still think that the Markins Q3T is the best travel ballhead. I bought a relatively cheap Benro as backup to the Gitzo and now I prefer it, it's really quite well made and about half the price of the Gitzo but works better for me.

Peter that benro is an intriguing option!

-Omar- Flickr (external link) , 5px (external link)
Phaseone 645DF+...because only the best will make up for my lack of skills.
Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

peter_n
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 23, 2011 13:55 |  #24

Yes it is. I went for the Benro in part because I'm a Gitzo user, and many of the parts are interchangeable with Gitzo and RRS, for example I use the Benro spikes on my Gitzo 3541LS. I'm going to get the RRS claw feet (external link) for my Benro C2680T traveler, and they will work on the 3541LS too. I think if you already use Gitzos then a Benro is the best alternative choice. But other Chinese-made tripods are getting good reviews too; the Feisols for example are well-reviewed and seem particularly suited to taller people.

I bought my Benro as a backup without any expectation that it would displace the Gitzo as the primary. Now the Gitzo 1541T has been replaced by the 1542T and reading the uncomplimentary comments on the new tripod it doesn't seem like a good move. The street price of the new version is $680 which is outrageous really. You get the knee-jerk reactions of "well you have to pay for quality" but there is quality in other brands too and provided you do your due diligence you can get terrific values.

~Peter

DarthSparky
510 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 23, 2011 14:13 |  #25

Not taking the pain from the outset is a false economy in my experience. You'll end up spending FAR more in the long run....

Rich | 1DX | Gripped 5D2 | 17-40 4L | 24-105 4L IS | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 85 1.2L II | 100 2.8L Macro IS | 600EX-RT | Gear List | www.richbaileyphotogra​phy.com (external link)

sponsored links

4,122 views & 0 likes for this thread
Should Have Listened .... (Tripod Related)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.