Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 23 Jun 2011 (Thursday) 11:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Remote flash on EOS 60D. Any 60D users suggestions please!

Miqs
349 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 23, 2011 11:02 |  #1

Having got the EOS 60D which has a built in wireless transmitter, I find that I cannot use my Nissin speedlite as a wireless remote flash unless I use the pop up flash on camera to activate it. Also I now hear that the Canon Speedlite 430EX II is possibly the only moderately priced (approx £200) speedlite flash I can use to enable me to use as a remote flash. Is this true? If so I now have the dilemma whether to reluctantly spend more cash on a new flash or use a remote flash cable to use my Nissin which would be a lot cheaper. I wondered if any 60D users had the same problem and found any short cuts or a different MO? :cry:

sponsored links
Agent ­ 655
98 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 23, 2011 11:21 |  #2

The popup flash is used to send the near IR signal to the flashes. For example with my 430 I can controll it from the 60D. The pop up flash is up, but you have several options. You can set the camera to only use the flash from the 430, use both the 430 and pop up, or configure the balance between the two.

If you just want to use the 430 then the pop up still "flashes" but it is just the near IR signal to the external to fire and does not impact the exposure.

HughR
999 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 23, 2011 12:27 |  #3

The 60D does an outstanding job of triggering the 430 wirelessly. I have both a 430EX and a 430EX II, and I control both using the pop-up on the 60D for multi-flash lighting. If you're looking for a less expensive flash that has wireless ETTL control from the 60D, the Canon 320EX is less expensive than the 430EX II and almost as powerful.

Hugh
Canon 60D, Original Digital Rebel (2003)
EFS 15-85mm IS USM, EF 70-300mm IS USM, Tokina 11-16mm
Speedlite 430EX, Speedlite 430EX II,
Qbox 16 pro, Lastolite EZbox 24x24, Lumiquest Softbox III

shankarhokie
Goldmember
1,894 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 23, 2011 12:42 as a reply to  @ HughR's post |  #4

If you are just concerned about using a 3rd party flash in a wireless mode, you can always buy wireless triggers such as Yongnuo RF-602.

I believe that only Canon flashes can be controlled by the built in 60D wireless capability.

Shankar
Perpetual learner.
FLICKR (external link) -- Gear-- Facebook (external link)

dedsen
Goldmember
2,580 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 23, 2011 14:42 |  #5

shankarhokie wrote in post #12645303 (external link)
I believe that only Canon flashes can be controlled by the built in 60D wireless capability.

This is not true. There are a few that work with the Canon master/slave system like Sigma, metz and some of the Nissins.

Migs, which Nissin flash do you have? You are aware that the built-in wireless on the 60d uses light pulses from the popup flash to communicate with the remote flashes. This does require that the popup be up. You can set it to fire only the control pulses and not contribute to the scene lighting.

Rocky ­ Rhode
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 23, 2011 15:24 |  #6

shankarhokie wrote in post #12645303 (external link)

You could wait for the YN-565EX; it will act just like the Canon 430 and the 580

GEAR LIST Flickr (external link)

msowsun
"approx 8mm"
9,288 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 23, 2011 20:58 |  #7

Unless you want to buy wireless radio triggers, you will need to use the pop up flash on your 60D no matter what flash you use.

The Nissin Di866 and Di622 II are both compatible with the Canon wireless system.

If you have the older Di622, it will only work as a more simple optical slave with your 60D. It has an ETTL preflash compatible optical slave that will fire any time it sees another flash go off. It will ignore the ETTL preflash of your 60D, and then fire when the main flash fires a microsecond later.

So to use your Nissin off camera, pop up the 60D's built in flash (while set to ETTL) and then the Nissin will fire when the 60D does.

Mike Sowsun / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 100-400 II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

Miqs
THREAD ­ STARTER
349 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 24, 2011 04:01 |  #8

msowsun wrote in post #12647786 (external link)
Unless you want to buy wireless radio triggers, you will need to use the pop up flash on your 60D no matter what flash you use.

The Nissin Di866 and Di622 II are both compatible with the Canon wireless system.

If you have the older Di622, it will only work as a more simple optical slave with your 60D. It has an ETTL preflash compatible optical slave that will fire any time it sees another flash go off. It will ignore the ETTL preflash of your 60D, and then fire when the main flash fires a microsecond later.

So to use your Nissin off camera, pop up the 60D's built in flash (while set to ETTL) and then the Nissin will fire when the 60D does.

Thanks very much for the replies. I have the older Nissin Di622 which I have used as an optical slave as you say, with the 60D's pop up flash firing, operating the Nissin as the main flash fires. Ideally I wanted to use the Nissin as a remote flash without the 60D pop up firing at all. I am interested to see however that the newer Di622 will work wirelessly as you suggest. Will investigate further.

msowsun
"approx 8mm"
9,288 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 24, 2011 05:55 |  #9

With the Canon wireless system you have the option to set the 60D flash to act as a trigger flash and contribute almost no light to the photo. If you take a photo in a mirror you will see a little flash but in most cases, it will not show up in the photo.

EDIT: The above assumes you are using the Canon proprietary wireless system with a fully compatible flash. The Nissin Di622 is NOT compatible because it only has a simple optical slave.

Canon, Nissin, Sigma, Metz, (and soon Yongnuo 565) all have flashes available that are compatible with the Canon wireless system.

Mike Sowsun / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 100-400 II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

Miqs
THREAD ­ STARTER
349 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 24, 2011 06:27 |  #10

msowsun wrote in post #12649615 (external link)
With the Canon wireless system you have the option to set the 60D flash to act as a trigger flash and contribute almost no light to the photo. If you take a photo in a mirror you will see a little flash but in most cases, it will not show up in the photo.

I have heard this before and quite excited by it but didn't know how accurate it is. For instance, does ETTL not apply when this method is used so the flash exposure becomes trial and error?

msowsun
"approx 8mm"
9,288 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 24, 2011 07:18 |  #11

No, the Canon wireless system is full ETTL or manual if you prefer.

ETTL is fully automatic with the option to add + or - Flash Exposure compensation. Manual can be trial and error.

HughR
999 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 24, 2011 09:56 |  #12

^^^ Yes, and in addition, the 60D can control the ratio of the external flash power to the pop-up power using ETTL. Option is from 8:1 (external 3 stops brighter than pop-up) to 1:1 (external at same level as pop-up). When you tell the 60D to use external only, the pop-up sends out an ETTL control signal to the external, but its light contribution to the photo is at least 6 stops down, so it contributes no visible fill to shadow areas.

Hugh
Canon 60D, Original Digital Rebel (2003)
EFS 15-85mm IS USM, EF 70-300mm IS USM, Tokina 11-16mm
Speedlite 430EX, Speedlite 430EX II,
Qbox 16 pro, Lastolite EZbox 24x24, Lumiquest Softbox III

karlpilkington
175 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 24, 2011 10:18 |  #13

msowsun wrote in post #12649615 (external link)

Canon, Nissin, Sigma, Metz, and soon Yongnuo 565 are all compatible with the Canon wireless system.

I was testing out the wireless system in the 60D for the first time the other day with a 430exii and noticed the pop up flash in the reflection of the tv even when I chose the option to have it turned off. I couldnt tell if it contributed to the exposure though. If it's there, how does it not?

Also a question for anyone who knows. If I purchase a YN-560 with a set of Cactus V5's, I should be able to put a transceiver on my camera, and control the YN-560 with other receiver, the 430exii should work without a receiver correct? I don't see an option on gadgetinfinity's site to purchase the duo triggers with one extra without purchasing the one receiver seperate. If I can make the 2 flashes work off camera with just 2 receivers than i'll just get the duo set. Thanks for any help guys.

X100F | GH5 | 6DII | 17-40L | 24-70L | 50L | 85 | 100 | 135L | 70-200L

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
19,131 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 24, 2011 10:34 |  #14

karlpilkington wrote in post #12650546 (external link)
I was testing out the wireless system in the 60D for the first time the other day with a 430exii and noticed the pop up flash in the reflection of the tv even when I chose the option to have it turned off. I couldnt tell if it contributed to the exposure though. If it's there, how does it not?

The wireless flash system on both the 60D and the 7D *requires the pop-up flash to 'flash' and send a light signal to the receiving flash IN ALL CASES*.

However, if you have it set to the popup being "off" that simply means that it doesn't produce enough light to contribute to the image. You can test this by setting your popup flash to trigger an external flash, and then take a flash shot without any slaves turned on. It doesn't matter how close you are to the subject, there is no flash lighting in the image. You can even dial the popup flash compensation to the maximum setting and it still won't show up in the image when set up this way. As for the "how" it doesn't show up....you got me :) I assume it has to do with the intensity of the flash pulse, though.

This the thing that confuses just about everyone that grabs one of these cameras on hearing about the wireless ability. I blame it on the feature being labeled 'wireless' in this day and age where that term most commonly refers to something that uses a radio signal or IR signal, like your TV remote.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Miqs
THREAD ­ STARTER
349 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 24, 2011 11:00 as a reply to  @ Snydremark's post |  #15

Well tried it all and I am slightly confused. I set the built in flash exposure compensation to -3 and tried the mirror test and it worked. The flash is hardly discernable in the image. So if the camera flash fires out a pre flash for ETTL how does it pre judge or calculate what light is expected from the slave in my case the Nissin speedlite? As I understand a slave flash fires a milli second after the camera flash. All my exposures using the slave were massively overexposed until I reduced the power of the speedlite to near minimum which surely defeats the purpose of ETTL2. I was on manual exposure at 1/125 sec at f5.6 ISO 600 with subject about 8ft. Eventually after moving the slave and bouncing it I achieved what I wanted but it took too long! Sorry but I just don't get it! Help!! :cry:

sponsored links

17,213 views & 0 likes for this thread
Remote flash on EOS 60D. Any 60D users suggestions please!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.