Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 21 Jun 2011 (Tuesday) 14:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Plenoptic camera?

katodog
Goldmember
4,193 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 23, 2011 09:32 as a reply to  @ post 12639163 |  #76

Look, I'm all for technology. Without it we wouldn't have digital cameras or computer software to adjust our images. That's not the same as creating something that takes all the skill and knowledge out of something. I won't use a camera like this because it takes away another piece of the thrill of photography.

If I don't have the skill or knowledge to get a good shot I don't want to rely on a device to do it for me. That's what God invented the internet for, so if I wanted to look at pictures done by someone or something else I could. Kinda defeats the purpose of being a photographer.

It may be revolutionary, and it may turn out to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. And of course if it becomes the next "latest and greatest" I might jump on the bandwagon. But, I don't see it happening for me. I still like to do things the way my parents taught me, with hard work, skill, knowledge, sacrifice, etc.. Heck, right now I'm using an old Hermes and an abacus to type this post.

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked - Photographers shoot to thrill, not to kill
My Gear- Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link) - Smoke Photography - - Sound-Activated Paint

sponsored links
katodog
Goldmember
4,193 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 23, 2011 09:33 |  #77

TeamSpeed wrote in post #12644324 (external link)
One step closer to the holodeck...

I'll be all over this when it happens. Transporters too.

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked - Photographers shoot to thrill, not to kill
My Gear- Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link) - Smoke Photography - - Sound-Activated Paint

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 23, 2011 09:41 |  #78

focus.pocus wrote in post #12642737 (external link)
has no one noticed that NEW members keep posting this article??? can we say self promotion & SPAM????

The "NEW" member in this particular thread joined these forums 2 months after you did.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,198 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jun 23, 2011 09:48 |  #79

katodog wrote in post #12644388 (external link)
Look, I'm all for technology. Without it we wouldn't have digital cameras or computer software to adjust our images. That's not the same as creating something that takes all the skill and knowledge out of something. I won't use a camera like this because it takes away another piece of the thrill of photography.

If I don't have the skill or knowledge to get a good shot I don't want to rely on a device to do it for me. That's what God invented the internet for, so if I wanted to look at pictures done by someone or something else I could. Kinda defeats the purpose of being a photographer.

It may be revolutionary, and it may turn out to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. And of course if it becomes the next "latest and greatest" I might jump on the bandwagon. But, I don't see it happening for me. I still like to do things the way my parents taught me, with hard work, skill, knowledge, sacrifice, etc.. Heck, right now I'm using an old Hermes and an abacus to type this post.

I don't agree. This doesn't fix exposure, ISO, etc. It simply changes when and where you set your focus. You still have to focus somewhere in the scene, and take your image. You just now have the opportunity to finely tune where you want your viewer's eye to go during post processing. Nothing more, nothing less. How is this any different than taking a raw, and changing your exposure level to salvage a missed shot later? Think of this as fixing focus later like you do exposure. It doesn't make you lazy or ignorant. What it does for you is give you an chance for more keepers later, and if your revenue depends on that, then more revenue opportunities. If that displeases you, well, I don't have a comeback...

EDIT: Think about a wedding gig... You get a nice shot of the bride and her mother/sisters in a room, all within your photo, the mother is a bit closer to you and she is in tears, the bride is trying to console her a bit farther out. You concentrate on the bride and get some shots. Later you go back, and you reset your focus on her mother, and one of the photos suddenly yield a very memorable tender moment that you didn't capture originally or even notice.

Or a floral arrangement in the wild or otherwise, and getting one macro-ish shot gives you many possibilities later of which flower you choose to draw the attention. This saves time, but still preserves the creative spirit of photography. I would daresay that this capability would actually enhance the creativity and skill of a photographer. You would constantly try to get the right composition/angle with subject material up front, so that later you could try to draw out many different images. With a fluid environment, you have more capability later, then if you try different angles and focus points, and lose shots immediately, like on a street scene.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 23, 2011 09:52 |  #80

Sirrith wrote in post #12644422 (external link)
The "NEW" member in this particular thread joined these forums 2 months after you did.

Yeah, Sept '09 is hardly "new"! :lol:

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Lightworks ­ Imaging
Goldmember
1,525 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 23, 2011 10:08 as a reply to  @ post 12637956 |  #81

Meh.

Just the humble musings of a beginner...
Eric
Lightworks Imaging (external link)
MM (external link)

katodog
Goldmember
4,193 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 23, 2011 10:09 as a reply to  @ post 12639163 |  #82

I would hope that I'd be at some level of skill and knowledge that I wouldn't need after-the-fact repairs. But hey, nobody's perfect right??

v_lestat
462 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 23, 2011 11:39 as a reply to  @ post 12639163 |  #83

Katodog,

i think,, again I think, this was geared more for the creative side of the photographer.
even though it clearly has been touted as "never miss a shot again"

look at it from the creativity side of it... take a shot and know that you dont have to worry about what was in focus because when you get home, or to your laptop in the car, you can do everything to it that you had been imagining.

and because it takes a reading of the entire lightfield of the frame, imagine what photoshop plug ins could do ... not with focus,, but creative lighting effects... wow..
all the light data is there, and the program can do what ever it wants do it....

M.Klapp
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 23, 2011 12:50 as a reply to  @ post 12637956 |  #84

"New Member" Comment: Great idea for the P&S user who can't seem to get his/her pictures right. However, I can't see this being usable for a DSLR platform, as the ISO/Lens/Aperture combos are darn near endless. The system would have to be like the new Ricoh 4/3s with the sensor built into the lens. Doable I guess, but might not be practical.

But, who knows, at some point we thought we'd never be able to fly either ...............

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 23, 2011 13:13 as a reply to  @ post 12637956 |  #85

http://news.yahoo.com …dchangephotogra​phyforever (external link)

There's an example on the yahoo webpage on how you can play with the image. Its pretty nifty but do note that there is significant banding in the background. I definitely applaud the company's efforts to target the consumer market first because the optics don't appear to be quite up to par with canon's lenses (but time will tell). Plus if consumers like the camera, then there will be expressed interest for a professional camera in the future. If the company had launched a professional product yet it failed to meet the expectations of professionals, the brand would be bumped down to "Samyang's" market and perceived as just another novelty item.

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

CROW21
440 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 23, 2011 13:20 |  #86

Interesting .

Gear : Canon XTI w/Kit lens , Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II , Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG APO , Canon 430EX Speedlite , Canon Wireless Remote Control RC1

Thonex
229 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 23, 2011 15:03 as a reply to  @ CROW21's post |  #87

This is really interesting. Will it replace a good photographer? No. But the technology will be very interesting. Remember how poor the first auto-focus lenses were? Slow, unreliable. Now it's a must-have for any serious sports or action photographer.

I'm sure with time this technology will be fine-tuned to the n-th degree.

I think this might be even more interesting if they can get this to work on a motion picture camera. Imagine having all that flexibility in post-production to choose your focal plane.

My opinion.

Cheers,

Andrew K

6D, 7D, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L II IS USM, EF 100mm L Macro, 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM, EFS 15-85 IS f/3.5-5.6, 50mm f/1.4
Some of my Pics (external link)

jasongraaf
624 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 23, 2011 22:03 |  #88

katodog wrote in post #12644388 (external link)

Like autofocus?

Flickr (external link)
-------------

katodog
Goldmember
4,193 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 24, 2011 07:51 |  #89

Autofocus is a mechanism designed to assist you in getting proper focus. With this new camera you don't need good focus, you can just aim the camera and press a button, then fix it on the computer. It's not the same thing.

Next you'll say that flash is the same as a camera that does all the work for you. Heck, you can accomplish the same light buy climbing a ladder into the sky and moving the Sun where you want it.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,198 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jun 24, 2011 08:10 |  #90

katodog wrote in post #12649909 (external link)
Autofocus is a mechanism designed to assist you in getting proper focus. With this new camera you don't need good focus, you can just aim the camera and press a button, then fix it on the computer. It's not the same thing.

Next you'll say that flash is the same as a camera that does all the work for you. Heck, you can accomplish the same light buy climbing a ladder into the sky and moving the Sun where you want it.

The metering modes and onboard light meter is a mechanism designed to assist you in getting proper exposure. With our current DSLRs, you don't need good exposure, you can just get close and press a button, then fix it on the computer.

The IS on lenses and bodies is a mechanism designed to assist in getting a more clear shot while on a shoot in lieu of learning a good stance and grip method, and lugging a tripod around. With the new 4 stop IS, you don't need good stand and hold technique or a good tripod in many cases, you can just aim the camera and press a button, and viola, a crisp shot which would otherwise yield something more blurry.

The onboard flash is a mechanism design to assist in lighting up the scene. With our current DSLRs that sport this feature, you don't need to buy external flashes, or learn how to use them, you just put the camera in green box, it will pop up the flash, and you press a button. Viola, you have a lit subject.

AF is a mechanism designed to assist you in getting focus close to what you think you want focus on. With our current DSLRs, you don't need to manually focus any more, you just aim one of a handful of boxes onto your subject material, press the AF button, pray a little prayer, and take a shot. If it is not quite in focus, you now have MFA to help micro-adjust your focus, and you can use raw and photo tools to get sharpness back a bit also.

:)

It is really hard to draw a line as to where technology ends and photography starts, isn't it? ;)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links

13,697 views & 0 likes for this thread
Plenoptic camera?
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.