Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 24 Jun 2011 (Friday) 08:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Osprey Backpack?

jpwild
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 24, 2011 08:10 |  #1

As other of my threads show I want to start doing photography which involves me staying out for the night. I also am getting a Benro c257 tripod so it's lighter than my Redsnapper and with ball head will be around 600-800G lighter, which on hikes I think would be a lot when hiking and carrying other stuff.

I have a Flipside 300, which is great for days out. I also have Vertex 200, but hardly used that and I think it's too bulky to take on hikes - especially with a tripod that is quite far away from my back. Vertex 200 is pretty much a box.

I have read that Osprey do great backpacks such as the Atmos 50 and others. I am looking into these and looked at various videos, but not seen one packed with a DSLR yet.

I would take:
Canon 5D
1 lens - 24-70
Filters and accessories

I would also like to take:
Tent of around 2KG
mat and sleeping bag
Some water and a little bit of food.
A bit of clothing

There's the Atmos version, Kestral and others. I am also over 6ft tall and in decent shape, but still would like something light as possible but also good harness system to distribute the weight. Of course, water protection is essential too with DSLR in backpack.

I also aim to do a few days around Spain and maybe do the camping route there though I might just stay in hotel I am not sure yet, but for now I am looking at places here in the UK like Scotland and Lake District for a night or two maximum.

Is there any packs for the camera gear to sit in like pads etc for the bag

or

Should I also get a Toploader 55 which are about £22 on Amazon, and attach that to the front of the bag somehow - seen that in pics. Thus, leaving the rucksack for camping gear etc.

sponsored links
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 24, 2011 08:19 |  #2

If it were me (and I realize it's not) I'd go with the Toploader and keep my camera gear isolated from whatever crap I take camping.

LuLuTheMonk
81 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 24, 2011 10:26 |  #3

how about the f-stop series of bags? Something like the loka or tilopa?

Canon 7D | Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | Sigma 150-500 OS | Canon 24-105

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,738 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 24, 2011 10:55 |  #4

Osprey are gret pack but I would get some thing to seperat you camera and lens form you gear and something that is water proof in case of rain or a leaky camelback (for water and I highly suggest one for hiking as well. Most packs have an area inside to hold on)

If you want quick access to your camera check out clik. They make several camera cases that strap to your chest for quick access and still keep the camer covered. They also make several hiking backpack for photography but those can be quite pricy.

jpwild
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 24, 2011 11:41 |  #5

LuLuTheMonk wrote in post #12650586 (external link)
how about the f-stop series of bags? Something like the loka or tilopa?

They look good, but can they attach a tent, tripod, sleeping bag and sleeping mat as well as have good storage capactiy for say clothes and lil bits?

I still thing I may get a toploader and have the camera itself external on my chest, which would look stupid, but would do the job.

BzBrian
72 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 24, 2011 12:51 |  #6

I have a Osprey Aether 70 and all I do is just wrap my body and lenses in jackets/clothes that I'm carrying. It might seem ridiculous but considering that everything in my bag is soft (clothes/cup of noodles) I worry less.

I'm a happy Canon SLR and Leica rangefinder user. bw!

jpwild
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 24, 2011 13:04 |  #7

BzBrian wrote in post #12651332 (external link)
I have a Osprey Aether 70 and all I do is just wrap my body and lenses in jackets/clothes that I'm carrying. It might seem ridiculous but considering that everything in my bag is soft (clothes/cup of noodles) I worry less.

Would you say it's possible to attach a tripod, tent, sleeping mat and bag to that bag? Also, with your camera equipment inside, roughtly in % how much space does it take up.

BzBrian
72 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 24, 2011 22:09 |  #8

jpwild wrote in post #12651404 (external link)
Would you say it's possible to attach a tripod, tent, sleeping mat and bag to that bag? Also, with your camera equipment inside, roughtly in % how much space does it take up.

Yeah you can definitely fit all that, assuming your tent is small and light like a quarter dome. Also, I strap my tripod to the exterior of the bag. It's really not a big deal. You won't really have much of a problem as the sleeping bag goes into the small compartment on the bottom, the tent goes into the main compartment in the bottom along with the mat. I still carry a hydration system and clothes so it's all good!

I'm a happy Canon SLR and Leica rangefinder user. bw!

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 25, 2011 06:49 |  #9

jpwild wrote in post #12651009 (external link)
They look good, but can they attach a tent, tripod, sleeping bag and sleeping mat as well as have good storage capactiy for say clothes and lil bits?

I still thing I may get a toploader and have the camera itself external on my chest, which would look stupid, but would do the job.

That may work on nice, even trails but if you need to do any scrambling or bushwhacking (over, under, through obstacles or brush) it could be a hindrance and actually prevent you from seeing where you're placing your feet.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

stickshift
533 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 26, 2011 00:31 as a reply to  @ argyle's post |  #10

My f-stop medium ICU fits in the sleeping bag compartment of my 80L arcteryx pack. Or consider getting a separate bag for your camera and strapping it to a different part of your body, or to the pack.

7D, 5D mark II
17-40, 24-70 II, 70-200 f/4 IS, Zeiss 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 400/5.6

Eileen
176 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 26, 2011 00:55 |  #11

My husband uses the Atmos 50 for his crag bag (climbing day trip backpack) he doesn't carry a camera (that's what I bring :P ) but he carries a lot in it (we do trad climbing which takes a lot of gear). He's 6' and loves the comfort of the pack.

After trying his pack on I ended up getting one with a similar suspension system... which is to say, the mesh type system is really great at distributing weight and also allowing air space at your back.

I think for packing all your talking about the Atmos 50 MIGHT be a little too small, unless you had some pretty compact gear.

EDIT: I see you said you'd only be gone for a night or two... depending on how big your tent was you might be able to use the Atmos 50.

I've done both "loaded for bear" and "near ultralight" backpacking (I say "near" ultra light because I brought my SLR... that right there throws any pack out of the running to the hardcore folks, hehe). One thing I did a few years back was upgrade both my sleeping bag and my sleeping pad... shaved 3 lbs off my load and slept warmer too.

So... if you do want a 50L pack, you might think of upgrading your camping gear to make room for your camera gear and save on weight that way.

Oh, also, if you do put your camera gear inside your pack and also carry a water bladder in there, you might want to bring a dry bag for your camera.

There are some really nice lightweight ones out there. I have one like this one (external link) (mine's a little different but that's the brand).

Graphic Designer / Photographer
Canon 60D, Canon 450D - Lenses covering 10mm to 300mm, 580 EX II and 420 EX flashes, Lightroom, Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver

sponsored links

8,827 views & 0 likes for this thread
Osprey Backpack?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.