Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 24 Jun 2011 (Friday) 00:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What did I miss with this shot?

Crocodile101
186 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 26, 2011 00:02 |  #16
bannedPermanent ban

shaftmaster wrote in post #12658262 (external link)
Yeah, well it makes me upset to see people post comments that have absolutely no benefit whatsoever to this forum or anyone that reads it. Everyone has to start somewhere and asking for help should not result in being told to go away until you can show some professional results.

ok, this is the kind of photo you want to CC. Dont stop taking pictures, Hope you learn from this forum and other websites, but use some sense.

You don't take a photograph, you make it. Ansel Adams.

sponsored links
Tneuville
186 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 26, 2011 02:35 |  #17

Crocodile101 wrote in post #12658201 (external link)
Seems to me that some of these CC are just here to keep the forum from loosing interest. This picture is something I would take while testing the exposure. What person takes such a random photo and post for recommendations, sorry man but this is way out of park. It does not have any qualities and it makes me upset when people post a photo they took on their brand new camera, then would like for someone to comment on the results on what may be a year or three for them to actually show some professional results..
Hey just keep trying, but please try to learn something before you post your first photo.

WOW...harsh dude!
I didnt realize this was a "for proffesionals only" forum.

at7815: I own three lenses and my "kit lens" is the one I rely on 95% of the time and it is just fine...
Dont get discouraged... read, read, read and post on this web site. I have learned alot just by reading and lookng at posts and pictures.
You will be fine... keep shooting!

I dont shoot with a Canon, I just really like it here :)
Nikon D90, Nikon D7000.. 18-105 kit lens, Nikon 35mm prime lens, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Nikon 105mm macro/prime speedlight 600, 5-in-one reflector.... PSE9 editing software

pelooyen
Goldmember
2,940 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 26, 2011 03:04 |  #18

Tneuville wrote in post #12658765 (external link)
Dont get discouraged... read, read, read and post on this web site. I have learned alot just by reading and lookng at posts and pictures.
You will be fine... keep shooting!

Spot on!!

My first posts here were crap compared to what I am doing now (not saying I have made it yet :-)), and my growth as a photographer as been a large part by reading and posting and learning from the advice received. Keep posting ;-)a

cheers, Paul
---------------
Flickr (external link) | My Website (external link) | Like me on Facebook (external link)
6D | 5Dc | 17-40mm L | 28-135mm IS USM | 70-200L f4 | 100mm f2.8 macro USM | MPE65 | MT-24EX | 580EX | Kenko extension tubes | 1.4x TC
| couple of umbrellas and softbox and other lighting stuff

Pablo3
39 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 26, 2011 06:28 |  #19

Keep reading about your camera, exposure and composition. Look at lots of pictures. And keep shooting! It does get easier the more you get out and just do it.

I like the look of your picture if it was cropped more squarish - eliminate the left part from the leftmost yellow post.

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
39,613 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 26, 2011 06:35 |  #20

There are many comments on this thread that are far too harsh (and condescending). The man asked for some help - give him some, not arrogant (and sometimes nonsensical) comments.

PhotosGuy
75,915 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jun 26, 2011 10:27 |  #21

Thank you, all! The focus was supposed to be the man but that's clearly not how it turned out.

Well, the first thing you needed to do is "Think!" You would have realized that if the guy was properly exposed, then the bike would be a shapeless white mass that pulled the eye away from your subject. So you would have taken a few steps forward & to your right. (This is assuming that the bikes weren't needed for context, which is a whole different problem needing a solution.)

A few steps forward & to your right would have allowed the (stupid) meter to get a better idea of what the subject was & (probably) improved your overall exposure. But you've got that big bright mass behind him, so probably not.
This is what I use for exposure 99% of the time: Need an exposure crutch?
And this is why I use it: Post #47

But sometimes you don't have 5 seconds to get an exact reading, so think about this: The exposure in bright sunlight will almost never change, so learn what a base exposure is. You can set that in about 1 second. In this case, you should have already had that exposure set in the camera anyway since you're walking around in sunlight, right?
In this case it would have been maybe 1/400 sec f/16 ISO 400.

Seeing the guy in the shade, I could have set a base exposure for shade of 1/125 f/5.6 while I was raising the camera & I would have taken a fast shot. Then I could have checked the meter, adjusted, & taken another shot.
If I had a f/2.8 lens on, then 1/400 f/2.8 would have been faster/easier to set, & would have given maximum blur to the background. But it's a judgement call.

Why ISO 400? Because I might have realized that there might have been grab shots available under the trees. If not for that, 1/200 f/16 ISO 200 would have worked, or 1/200 f/11 ISO 100, etc.

Re: "the (stupid) meter": You used Av, which is OK if you're willing to learn metering modes & exposure compensation (EC), but as you've seen here, you can't just shotgun without thinking about what the meter is "thinking" about. ;)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Scrogg
30 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 26, 2011 10:45 as a reply to  @ Roy Mathers's post |  #22

If I am just out shooting pics and don't really have a goal other than getting some time with my camera, I like to ask myself some questions before I press the shutter.

1. What is the purpose of this shot ( What do I want this photograph to be about)

2. How should I compose this to fulfill that purpose (What do I want this photograph to look like)

3. Is my equipment set up to accomplish this. (Is my shutter, aperture, etc. set where I will get #2 nailed)

This is just my mental checklist and not anything that is set in stone, but it helps to give me photos that will hopefully provide some interest.

You said the man was the focus of the photo you posted, but that photo has him fighting with 3 scooters, a bright red car, a woman walking by and a bright white stone wall for the viewers attention. I would have probably stepped over behind the scooters, maybe where the woman in the picture is and tried to get a more direct shot of his face, maybe include some of the paper so the viewer has an idea of what has his attention. This might also result in a better background that is not fighting the man for the viewers attention.

Then I would look at the light and see that he is in shadow and adjust the white balance for shade and maybe up the exposure some just to be safe.

This is what will go through your mind in a split second after you have gotten some time with your camera. Don't mind the haters on here, they are all pro's who are so busy making money with their photos that they only have time to look at pro shots and can't learn anything otherwise. Just take a few minutes to think about what you want and how to go about it before you just start spraying and praying and your pictures will reflect it.

davtackett
925 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 26, 2011 11:38 |  #23

What a person needs while trying to learn is encouragement more than anything. Some cc in this forum can be downright insulting. I notice some of the people with harsh comments have little room to talk as they have plenty to learn themselves.

7d, 7dII, 100-400 canon L, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
39,613 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 26, 2011 11:41 |  #24

My point exactly.

Crocodile101
186 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 26, 2011 15:24 |  #25
bannedPermanent ban

I guess my days in CC are done, I do come out with harsh comments, it's not a place for me. Hats of to some of the help and advise given to the one in need. Some of these photos here look like the first pictures taken and to ask for an opinion does not sense or worth my time. Guess it's a + for both ends.

You don't take a photograph, you make it. Ansel Adams.

TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 26, 2011 15:27 |  #26

Too busy, the lighting is not there, not sure what your subject is. Focus more on a single subject, or a single element. Make sure you have the right light, if not, make sure you have fill light to lift the shadows. Don't have so much going on in your image that it is hard to tell what the image is about.

1Ds Mk II, 1D Mk II, 50D, 40D, XT (for my son), 17-40L, 24-105L, Bigma 50-500 EX DG, Sigma 150 Macro EX DG, Tokina 12-24 AT-X, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 28-300 (for my son), 580ex II, 430ex II

davtackett
925 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 26, 2011 17:30 |  #27

Crocodile101 wrote in post #12660987 (external link)
I guess my days in CC are done, I do come out with harsh comments, it's not a place for me. Hats of to some of the help and advise given to the one in need. Some of these photos here look like the first pictures taken and to ask for an opinion does not sense or worth my time. Guess it's a + for both ends.

Actually I had in mind a couple cc on my own photos. I felt insulted, about the worse thing one can say is "it looks like a snapshot more than anything" and another was "boring" etc, and when I looked at their work, not all their photos were great.

7d, 7dII, 100-400 canon L, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS

TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 26, 2011 18:03 |  #28

davtackett wrote in post #12661461 (external link)
Actually I had in mind a couple cc on my own photos. I felt insulted, about the worse thing one can say is "it looks like a snapshot more than anything" and another was "boring" etc, and when I looked at their work, not all their photos were great.

There are many critics, and even fewer artists. ;)

There are so many different opinions, tastes, likes, dislikes, etc. For example, I can't stand Picasso. Not one piece appeals to my personal taste. Does that mean the work is bad? LOL, not at all, it just means it is not for me.

The most useless comments are those without suggestions to improve. The ones like 'it's not for me'. Okay, then what does it need for it to be 'for you'? Or more specifically, what exactly is not for you....the colors, the subject, the composition, the lighting, what?

On this board you will find plenty of people that will tell you they don't like something, but only a small percentage can explain in artistic detail what it is they don't like. They will state in no uncertain terms exactly what they do not like about it. Those are the critics to listen to, the ones willing to help you improve. Just take all the others with a grain of salt.

1Ds Mk II, 1D Mk II, 50D, 40D, XT (for my son), 17-40L, 24-105L, Bigma 50-500 EX DG, Sigma 150 Macro EX DG, Tokina 12-24 AT-X, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 28-300 (for my son), 580ex II, 430ex II

elogical
Goldmember
1,217 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 26, 2011 21:08 |  #29

davtackett wrote in post #12661461 (external link)

I kind of agree with this, but I think that you don't have to be a great photographer to offer critique. Unless you only shoot for the benefit of other photographers, your work is going to be judged by the general public as well so having feedback from multiple perspectives can be helpful.

That's not to say it's good just to say "bad picture" or "looks like a snapshot" though, it needs to be a more thought out comment than that to have any use

Gear

Gianny
35 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 26, 2011 22:28 |  #30

Its just too busy, I don't know what was your main focus! Just keep shooting but focus on a subject.

Canon 7D, 50mm 1.8, 18-55 kit lens.

sponsored links

2,928 views & 0 likes for this thread
What did I miss with this shot?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.