Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 26 Jun 2011 (Sunday) 06:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Camer or New Lenses

stacepearl
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 26, 2011 06:42 |  #1

Hi. I am currently using the canon 450d with the standed kit lenses and a wide lens i bought for travel.
It has been a great starter kit but i am looking for better quality photos and i am not sure if i should buy a new camera or sell my kit lenses and get a better all rounder lens.
Any suggestions on lenses would b greatly appreciated.

sponsored links
Wallace ­ River
" ...a bit of a pervy voyeur "
12,449 posts
Gallery: 129 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 26, 2011 06:57 |  #2

I'm not real familiar with the 450D, but the usual comments one hears about this dilemma is to put your money toward good lenses, which you will have *forever*, before upgrading your camera body. There'll always be newer and better camera bodies com ing on the market, and while the same can be said, albeit with much less frequency, for lenses, I tend to think one holds onto a good lens for a good long time, if bought right.

IAN - Living life on the shores of the Wallace River in northern Nova Scotia, Canada :
Canon 1D4, 1D-X, almost enough glass.
My Flickr (external link). http://ianmurray.zenfo​lio.com/ (external link)

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 26, 2011 20:18 |  #3

Better lenses and/or technique. The 450D is more than capable of taking great images.

Can't really make any suggestions because you've given no information as to what you like shooting or what you need though... One that I can make though is the 55-250 IS, which is currently on sale for $150 at target (if you're in the US), which is an amazing lens, and for that price, well, just get it. Nothing else comes close that doesn't cost at least 3x more.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Blurr ­ Cube
...a lucky id-iot that didn't get electrocuted...
15,146 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 26, 2011 21:15 as a reply to  @ Sirrith's post |  #4

450D = XSi. A good compliment to the 18-55mm kit lens is the 55-250mm lens.

Depending on your style or what you look to shoot, you can focus on specific set of lenses.

| Canon EOS Systems |

TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 26, 2011 21:17 |  #5

Definitely lenses. I'm still shooting my XT with some great glass :).

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 26, 2011 21:33 |  #6

Sirrith wrote in post #12662145 (external link)
Better lenses and/or technique. The 450D is more than capable of taking great images.

This!!!

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

klynam
Goldmember
1,237 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Jun 26, 2011 21:38 |  #7

Since you have a camera, and if you're serious about improving as a photographer, invest it the following order...

1. Your knowledge and technique (classes, workshops, second shooter/assistant, etc.)
2. Your lenses (beginning with the world of inexpensive f1.8 and f2.8 primes)

We all ask the same question, and we all realize the same thing...eventually.

Canon Cameras & Lenses | Masterworks Photography (external link) | God is Light
"Until you can do better, copy." Tony Gresham

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,822 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 26, 2011 21:42 |  #8

stacepearl wrote in post #12659195 (external link)
... i am looking for better quality photos ....

What exactly is wrong now? When I see someone asking about a hardware upgrade to get better quality several things pop into my mind.
1. Are the current pictures poor quality due to technique? If so, then a hwd upgrade will do nothing to improve and the easiest way to get better quality would be a change of technique.
2. Are the current pics of poor quality because you need to shoot at the extremes of the cameras capabilities? If so the a hwd upgrade may improve picture quality but at a significant cost.
3. Are the pics of poor quality because the wrong hwd is being used? I see many nature photogs trying to capture some of the bird shots the guys with the 500mm or 600mm lenses are getting and they are shooting with the 55-250. You're just not going to get the same shot. Upgrading hwd will help but at significant cost.

So, can you post up a few pics that you believe are poor quality and maybe through those better advice can be given.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Blurr ­ Cube
...a lucky id-iot that didn't get electrocuted...
15,146 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 26, 2011 22:08 as a reply to  @ gjl711's post |  #9

OP should post specifics on what they need or find lacking.

Perhaps a flash is what's needed rather than lenses or a new body? :confused:

| Canon EOS Systems |

Winwin
702 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 27, 2011 00:31 |  #10

If you wish to upgrade the kit lens, consider the Tamron 17-50mm non-VC. It's a great upgrade. Or if you can afford it, grab the Canon 17-55mm IS. Ide get either one of those before upgrading your body.

Win.
Canon 5D Mark III, 100 f/2.8L Macro, 50 f/1.8 STM

Tee ­ Why
"Monkey's uncle"
10,596 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jun 27, 2011 01:19 |  #11

Lens will make a big difference, especially if you get a different type of a lens to complement the lens you have. For example for travelling, an ultrawide is pretty great and open up a new compositional ability.

Unless you find your camera is limiting your ability to make photos, I don't think upgrading bodies will make any significant difference.

Gallery: http://tomyi.smugmug.c​om/ (external link)

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 27, 2011 03:18 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

stacepearl wrote in post #12659195 (external link)
Hi. I am currently using the canon 450d with the standed kit lenses and a wide lens i bought for travel.
It has been a great starter kit but i am looking for better quality photos and i am not sure if i should buy a new camera or sell my kit lenses and get a better all rounder lens.
Any suggestions on lenses would b greatly appreciated.

I have said that when facing a crisis in my photography when I first had my 400D, it wasn't the body or the lenses I had, it was me that was really poor at photography. Not that I am calling you rubbish or anything. More pixels or better lenses doesn't mean better photography.

Editing skills is also a factor in good photos

stacepearl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 27, 2011 17:00 as a reply to  @ RichSoansPhotos's post |  #13

Thank u all for your help so far.
I am a beginner and do blame myself a lot of the time. I have had this kit for almost 3 years and have taken more interest in the last 6 months.
Most of my photos are landscape and nature. I do have a Wide lens I purchased for travel last year and love it.
After a lot of research I have decided to upgrade lenses and sell my kit lenses now just the choice of what lens to buy I am willing to spend around $1000 Australian dollars.
Thanks for the advice

sponsored links

1,355 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Camer or New Lenses
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.