Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 26 Jun 2011 (Sunday) 16:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Observing a pro , I got questions.

Gatorboy
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 28, 2011 06:04 |  #46

primoz wrote in post #12669846 (external link)
On the other side you were showing off with 2 or 3 times more money hanging on your shoulder, yet you didn't earn not a single cent ;)

... and in addition, have no idea why one uses a light meter. ;-)a

Dave Hoffmann

sponsored links
Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 28, 2011 06:07 |  #47

shayneyasinski wrote in post #12661181 (external link)
I later asked her about it and she said I would not understand and walked away.....

Maybe she was correct...

Do you know how to use a lightmeter, if not trying to get a free lesson from a working photographer at a venue is not the correct way to learn.

Wayne

Madness takes its toll, please have exact change. (external link)

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

pilsburypie
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 28, 2011 06:30 |  #48

You can also look at this the other way... she spent more then half less for her equipment, yet she still gets paid. On the other side you were showing off with 2 or 3 times more money hanging on your shoulder, yet you didn't earn not a single cent ;)

Or you can look at it the OPs way that he has a high paid job and can blow serious fun bucks on a hobby and the sad miserable old pro is eking out an existence working unsociable hours in a job she hates. All assumptions of course;)

Mark
Gear List

SOK
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 28, 2011 06:38 |  #49

Gatorboy wrote in post #12669873 (external link)
she spent more then half less for her equipment, yet she still gets paid. On the other side you were showing off with 2 or 3 times more money hanging on your shoulder, yet you didn't earn not a single cent :wink:

... and in addition, have no idea why one uses a light meter. ;-)a

HAHAHA.

I can't believe it took 4 pages for this point to be made.

OP - it's that sort of carry on that gives GWCs a bad name.

Steve
SOK Images - Wedding and Event Photography Gold Coast (external link)

shayneyasinski
THREAD ­ STARTER
657 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 28, 2011 06:47 |  #50

I have always enjoyed seeing all of the members here post opinions on any subject, no matter what I know or do not I always get a few of you that are exactly what I am talking about when I run into what I call "dicks".
I just got home from a long day of shooting grad pics for my neice and her 285 classmates, a long day because I had back sergery, I was on my feet in pain for 3 hours shooting outside in the sun and then in the dark shooting a stage that was lit with spot lights, I never shot inside like that and it was hard at first to get things right but I did it and they all look dam good!
I also helped out 10 or so parents get a few shots and some with general questions, I was paid and I was not a dick to anyone asking anything.......
I have used a light meter with strobes but never without so I asked, after looking into the wedding photog I see she is a recent graduate of a local camera shop school course and I think she in fact had no idea what she was doing.
I also have samples of her work and it shows just that!

my gear Canon 7D, Canon 5DMK2, 70-200 f2.8 IS, 50mm f1.8, canon 430 speedlight, canon 17-55 2.8 IS, canon 100mm macro sigma 10-20, Canon 17-85 , 60 cokin filters , 2x telecoverter.

SOK
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 28, 2011 07:03 |  #51

shayneyasinski wrote in post #12669968 (external link)
I have always enjoyed seeing all of the members here post opinions on any subject, no matter what I know or do not I always get a few of you that are exactly what I am talking about when I run into what I call "dicks".
I just got home from a long day of shooting grad pics for my neice and her 285 classmates, a long day because I had back sergery, I was on my feet in pain for 3 hours shooting outside in the sun and then in the dark shooting a stage that was lit with spot lights, I never shot inside like that and it was hard at first to get things right but I did it and they all look dam good!
I also helped out 10 or so parents get a few shots and some with general questions, I was paid and I was not a dick to anyone asking anything.......
I have used a light meter with strobes but never without so I asked, after looking into the wedding photog I see she is a recent graduate of a local camera shop school course and I think she in fact had no idea what she was doing.

I trust I am one of the "dicks" you are referring to so I'll sign off with this;

OP; given the compelling, articulate argument you make here, it's now clear that YOU were right, and the rest of us are wrong.

Take care standing your ground out there...and watch out for those "dicks"!

Steve
SOK Images - Wedding and Event Photography Gold Coast (external link)

shayneyasinski
THREAD ­ STARTER
657 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 28, 2011 07:15 |  #52

I love you SOK , I love everyone that can take the time to talk pics, at this time I hate light meters....

I am buying a nikon strap for my canon

my gear Canon 7D, Canon 5DMK2, 70-200 f2.8 IS, 50mm f1.8, canon 430 speedlight, canon 17-55 2.8 IS, canon 100mm macro sigma 10-20, Canon 17-85 , 60 cokin filters , 2x telecoverter.

Gatorboy
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 28, 2011 07:28 |  #53

... and it was hard at first to get things right but I did it and they all look dam good!

Maybe you should get a light meter.

Dave Hoffmann

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 28, 2011 11:34 as a reply to  @ Gatorboy's post |  #54

shayneyasinski wrote in post #12661813 (external link)
I was there to set up 3 guys for video for the bride,Not working just setting them up so they can get some decent footage, I said hello and that I was helping the video guy and we talked about where we can and can not go in the service, later I asked about the meter,I was nice about everything till she said that, I got my gear to show her I would understand in a jerk way I guess...

You deserved the reaction that you got. By acknowledging your intentions I am sure that your attitude and body language spoke the same to the other photographer. Perhaps your original intentions were all good and honest but you blew it when you grabbed your gear to shoot over their shoulder. How old are you, really this was a bad move.

shayneyasinski wrote in post #12661813 (external link)
All the years of video dealing with photogs has me on the edge, I never understood why so many were dicks as I felt we were on the same side.
Even after shooting for a few years now and a few weddings I am not that guy that has my nose in the air like so many I have met, I talk to other camera people and still get all the shots.

Just because I happen to have a camera and am shooting something that you find interesting doesn't make us friends. I see this same attitude several times through this thread. I will answer questions when I can but if someone comes up to me in the middle of shooting they are going to get a cold shoulder. My mind is in the shoot not trying to explain something very basic to someone else. How do you think the people standing there posed feel about him/her taking the time to talk to another photographer.

I grew up photographically in a time when you always used a light meter. I still use it in certain settings. They are not hard to learn or use.

TooManyShots wrote in post #12667047 (external link)
Could you imagine your wedding photographer showing up and shooting your wedding with a Rebel series body??? Was she your $500 wedding photographer or a $2000 one? If the former, I can understand. If the latter, well, it makes no sense. It is called using the right gear for the job. Not using the cheapest gear for the job that may or may not produce the results the clients have paid for.

This is totally irrelevant to the subject at hand and not sure why someone would even raise this. I have seen some work done with Rebel class cameras, across different manufacturers, and in the hands of a good photographer they will produce an excellent wedding. Do you really think that most wedding customers will know the difference between a 50D and a D40. Most importantly, do they care. What they do care about is the end results and for weddings either camera would do just fine with the right optics. So if someone books a wedding and pays multi thousands for it, the photographer has to have high end gear. I've seen some work with guys with the best of the best as far as gear and bomb on some jobs.

I was wondering how long it would take for you to start to demean the other photographers work. That seems to be an out for people that don't get the answers they want. What does that accomplish.

It is admirable that you helped people out at your session. That is a personal choice that each person makes. Simply because we both have cameras in our hands does not mean that it is a given that this will happen. Personally, I think you are making a big deal of nothing. So they wouldn't answer your question and you said to yourself "I'll go get my 3,000.00 setup and shoot over their shoulder, that will show them".

I've had plenty of people shooting over my shoulders at weddings and other events. Only a couple of times I had to tell the bride and groom that I am stopping until they limit the other people. They were jumping in front of me, yelling at the couple to look at them and other nuisances. One even asked me to shut my strobes off so that when they took their flash pictures they wouldn't fire. I will put up with alot but sometimes it just becomes too much and when you don't have the attention of the subjects the images reflect that.

To reiterate, you are making a big deal of nothing here. Your feelings were hurt and you retaliated. Personally, an immature move, imo.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 28, 2011 12:11 |  #55

ssim wrote in post #12671267 (external link)
To reiterate, you are making a big deal of nothing here. Your feelings were hurt and you retaliated. Personally, an immature move, imo.

That puts the whole silly business into proper perspective. Immature to the point of childishness and now he's calling those of us who disagree with him dicks.

David

David

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 28, 2011 12:53 |  #56

Regardless of how the OP acted, the paid wedding photographer should have said something like "I'm really sorry, but I need to concentrate on my work right now, and can't really chat while I'm working." Polite, professional, and to the point.

"You wouldn't understand" was unnecessary, presumptuous, and downright rude.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,840 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Jun 28, 2011 13:08 |  #57

I once asked a man at walk for cancer event what the book setting on his lawn chair was about... his answer?: "You wouldn't like it."

I had all kinds of replies running around in my head.... but fortunately, I didn't speak any of them. btw, this man was a coworker.... actually a manager.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

shayneyasinski
THREAD ­ STARTER
657 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 28, 2011 13:47 |  #58

Woodworker wrote in post #12671501 (external link)
That puts the whole silly business into proper perspective. Immature to the point of childishness and now he's calling those of us who disagree with him dicks.

David

Not all, just a couple have replied with that tone..

I really don't get upset over what was said as we are all entitled to our opinion and we see what happened at the wedding different, no photogs or video guys were beaten that day and I will still help if I can and still get excited when I see a fellow shooter that may or may not be up for some conversation at the down times at a gig.

I have WORKED over 300 weddings and I like when guests or other industry workers talk as it makes me feel more at home knowing names to faces and that if I need something like to find a light switch or place to plug in they can help, the girl at that wedding was not smiling just running around with a meter trying to set her camera, her work is that of someone learning and thats ok I was willing to help she just did not want anything from anyone.

vipergts831
Has the TF retired? Or just being utterly lazy?
43,923 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Location: Taking better shots with an iPhone than MDJAK with a 1DX

Jun 28, 2011 13:53 |  #59

I understand the OP points of view. Lord knows if im in a pressure situation i could mistakenly say something. Is it right? Nope. Its just human. Just like its human to take it the wrong way as well.

-Omar- Flickr (external link) , 5px (external link)
Phaseone 645DF+...because only the best will make up for my lack of skills.
Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

DAMphyne
"the more I post, the less accurate..."
2,156 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2003

Jun 28, 2011 13:54 |  #60

This is kinda like "Jeep" owners saying goes,"If you have to ask, You can't understand".

David
Digital set me free
"Welcome Seeker! Now, don't feel alone here in the New Age, because there's a seeker born every minute.";)
www.damphyne.com (external link)

sponsored links

9,422 views & 0 likes for this thread
Observing a pro , I got questions.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.