Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 05 Mar 2006 (Sunday) 10:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

NYC POTN Meet Times Square Area Street Photography

BottomBracket
Cream of the Crop
6,398 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Mar 05, 2006 10:20 |  #1

It looks like it's warming up a bit! What do you say we hook up in the Times Square area and just walk around with our cameras? We could mill around there for an hour or so, then walk south to Hell's Kitchen where one of my favorite flea markets is, and to cap it off probably plunge into B&H which is a few blocks away.

Any takers? March 12, Sunday, around 12:30 noon. I'd rather we've had lunch already prior to meeting so we can dive right into photography. For those with hunger pains though, not to worry. Hotdog stands abound. Bring a wide or tele lens, each has its advantages :)

Pio
Veni, Vidi, Canoni - I Came, I Saw, I Took A Picture With My Canon
Fotopio.com - Gallery of the Meandering Eye (external link)
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.

sponsored links
Ronald ­ S. ­ Jr.
Prodigal "Brick" Layer
16,481 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 05, 2006 10:44 |  #2

I fear these trips won't be "financially sound" for me. Sounds like an awesome little "outing", but at the cost of hundreds of dollars to myself, I just don't see it as a good idea. :-(

Mac users swear by their computers. PC users swear at theirs.

Calzinger
Goldmember
1,798 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 05, 2006 12:48 |  #3

I would definitely like to join (I've been waiting for the next POTN meet), but I have another engagement in New Jersey for Sunday. I don't suppose you could move it to Saturday, eh?

You also may want to keep the weather in check. The weekend looks to be surrounded by wet weather, but predictions this early are often inaccurate. It could change in a heartbeat.

"That building in the background is distracting."
"Oh OK, I'll move it out of the way next time."
internet forum fail

Palladium
Goldmember
3,905 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 05, 2006 20:58 as a reply to  @ Calzinger's post |  #4

Is anyone up for a Harbor Seals boat trip out on Long Island?

some links -

http://www.licvb.com …dar_detail.cfm?​event=2860 (external link)

http://www.newsday.com …ide/303248,0,44​4939.event (external link)

http://www.riverheadfo​undation.org …ontent.asp?code​=seal_faqs (external link)

http://www.newsday.com …4537jan11,0,392​8902.story (external link)

tsw910
Goldmember
2,650 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 05, 2006 21:13 |  #5

LOL .. i was just about to post this too after watching the weather report ! 60s this weekend !! yay ! .... so i guess i am definitely in for this ..

PS. the weather states on sunday, possible showers ...

Scuba Tom
http://tomwangphotogra​phy.com (external link)NYC Wedding Photographer (external link)http://www.tomwangphot​ography.com/ (external link)

BottomBracket
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,398 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Mar 05, 2006 22:41 |  #6

Ron - awww c'mon, if you sell your 35L you'll be able to fund several trips to the city :)

Chris, my Saturdays are pretty much blocked off, as I have to take my son to swimming lessons. I could do Saturday late afternoon to evening though, but maybe not this weekend.

Palladium, that looks interesting. When's a good time to go?

TSW, yup we'll have to see what the weather is, it should be clearer as the weekend draws near. If it's just a bit drizzly I may still go, not when it's pouring hard though.

Pio

Snafu
255 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 06, 2006 01:41 |  #7

BB, I maybe in. I'll keep an eye on this thread. Palladium...sounds good.

Andy

tsw910
Goldmember
2,650 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 06, 2006 09:21 |  #8

do i hear a boat ride ?

Scuba Tom
http://tomwangphotogra​phy.com (external link)NYC Wedding Photographer (external link)http://www.tomwangphot​ography.com/ (external link)

Ronald ­ S. ­ Jr.
Prodigal "Brick" Layer
16,481 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 06, 2006 12:12 as a reply to  @ BottomBracket's post |  #9

BottomBracket wrote:
Ron - awww c'mon, if you sell your 35L you'll be able to fund several trips to the city :)

:shock: WATCH YOUR MOUTH! No way. :-) Besides, if I came out, that's the lens I'd USE!

Mac users swear by their computers. PC users swear at theirs.

InfamousDX
310 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 06, 2006 15:09 |  #10

I'd definitely like to do this since I live in NJ just over the GW Bridge and work RIGHT in times square.

Canon 40D | Tamron 28-75 F/2.8 | Canon 70-200 F/4L | Sigma 10-20 F/4-5.6 | Canon 50 F/1.8 | Canon 430EX | Epson P-3000
Wish List: Canon 17-55 2.8 IS

BottomBracket
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,398 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Mar 08, 2006 07:48 |  #11

It looks like it's going to rain Sunday afternoon. We'll know better by tomorrow or Friday.

Pio

jwbker
130 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 08, 2006 18:47 as a reply to  @ BottomBracket's post |  #12

I have my brother staying with me in town this weekend, can't make it guys. Only consolation is that I dislike Times Square, and I would probably just complain about the throngs of tourists. Have fun though and I look forward to next time!

James

BottomBracket
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,398 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Mar 11, 2006 15:40 |  #13

Sorry folks, I'll have to call this off. It's the first great weekend of the year and unfortunately I am ill with something. Planned to bike much of the day today but instead Im lying down on my bed. I planned to go ahead with the shoot tomorrow, even if I'm alone, but I don't see that happening. Anyway let's reset it.

James, you're right about Times Square, too touristy. The only thing going for it is that people are more tolerant of other people taking pictures of them, an excellent exercise in developing street shooting skills. Anyway, omce you go south to Fashion Ave, and West to 8th Ave and beyond, that's where NYC character gets better. Oh well, next time :)

Pio

Snafu
255 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 11, 2006 17:18 as a reply to  @ BottomBracket's post |  #14

BB, I just realized your screen name is from your bike. Just curious, what kind of bike do you ride? I have a GT Avalanche & a Trek Fuel 90.

Andy

BottomBracket
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,398 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Mar 11, 2006 18:35 |  #15

Hey Andy! I didn't know you're into bikes too. We gotta ride sometime. I have a Bridgestone MB-2, converted to singlespeed, a Litespeed hardtail, a Litespeed road bike, and a Strida folder. I'd love to get a Santa Cruz Blur soon, that is if my wife approves (need to work on that). :)

Pio

sponsored links

7,185 views & 0 likes for this thread
NYC POTN Meet Times Square Area Street Photography
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.