Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 29 Jun 2011 (Wednesday) 12:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bestbuy BlackTie Plan for Cameras

jclaveria
546 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 29, 2011 12:18 |  #1

I ot the EOS 5D Mark II through bestbuy a year ago because I have almost 1K worth of gift certificates.

I got into the Black Tie Program because they offered repair/replacement (if not fixable) , and free cleaning twice a year for four years under $400. I asked them who cleans the camera, the guy said its a Canon "authorized" Facility. Being a CPS member, never got through me that Canon Facility and Canon "authorized" facility kind of NOT the same. It sounded the same to me at that moment. I thought, well I can use those two free cleanings without touching my CPS voucher.

Finally, its time to use the Black Tie for cleaning. Living near the Irvine facility, I thought bestbuy will just send it to Canon and maybe wait for a week or less. Wrong, they will send it to Connecticut and asked me to wait for THREE weeks. Now it sounded to me that this is a wise scheme. Who would have there camera out of service for 6 weeks in a year for two cleaning request?

Anybody had any experience, I would like to know otherwise.

Gear List

sponsored links
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 29, 2011 12:24 |  #2

Yet another Best Buy scam exposed. I will not shop there - ever.

DanThoman
Goldmember
2,626 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 29, 2011 12:29 |  #3

+1 with what rick_reno said.

Dan
my gear
www.thomanstudio.com (external link)
www.Buckheadwoodcrafte​rs.com (external link)
http://thomanstudio.co​m/blog (external link)

aboss3
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 29, 2011 12:33 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Not only do they set outrageous prices, but they're scamming how they can. Just look at their sales: walking in the store and realizing everything in the Sunday's paper is out of stock. But they have other products for $200 more :D
I just laugh when I walk into bestbuy these days....I don't really expect anything I see to be in stock. And their warranties are just useless.

Gear | My gear is changing faster than I can update the signature
VoyageEyewear (external link)

jclaveria
THREAD ­ STARTER
546 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 29, 2011 12:33 as a reply to  @ DanThoman's post |  #5

I could have not bought it there had I not have some gift certificates. Now, most of the gift certificate values are gone to waste. :cry:

Gear List

jclaveria
THREAD ­ STARTER
546 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 29, 2011 12:35 |  #6

At that time it was great, because they indeed price matched the 5D Mark II kit, which supposedly saved me about another $400 from the outrageous store price they have.

aboss3 wrote in post #12677597 (external link)
Not only do they set outrageous prices, but they're scamming how they can. Just look at their sales: walking in the store and realizing everything in the Sunday's paper is out of stock. But they have other products for $200 more :D
I just laugh when I walk into bestbuy these days....I don't really expect anything I see to be in stock. And their warranties are just useless.

Gear List

smacatl
Goldmember
1,539 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 29, 2011 13:04 |  #7

aboss3 wrote in post #12677597 (external link)
And their warranties are just useless.

+1!

Fooled me once on an iPod "Extended Warranty" that "covered everything". After 4 trips for repeated service for the same issue and the Manager's repeated refusals to honor the replacement clause of the warranty, they lost me as a customer for life.

Sorry to hear that your lesson cost you $400.

Smacatl
Premier Member of the OGUS Photo Club (Over-Geared, Under-Skilled) (with Credit to our President & Founder JWCDDS)
Gear List

RHChan84
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 29, 2011 13:26 |  #8

Crap, I bought the warranty from BB a while back when I got my 60D. Sounded good at the moment with the cleaning as well as protection plan. I'm 2nd guessing it now but it;s too late for me to do anything about it. I spent $190 on the warranty plan.

Canon (60D Gripped | 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS | 40mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 F4L IS| 430 EXII)
Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebook (external link)

flickr (external link)

ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 29, 2011 13:45 |  #9

I bought my 5dii from BB because they honored my generic 10% off coupon I printed from another member on here. No salex tax either so it was just over $2000.00 out the door. didn't bother with their "protection program" because I didn't believe it. I did buy Windows 7 and my Wacom tablet from them though at 0% interest for 6 motnhs so I'm not regretting that!

-Chris-Website (external link)|| (external link)Facebook (external link)|| My Flickr (external link)|| Follow me!!! 500px (external link) || (external link) 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

jclaveria
THREAD ­ STARTER
546 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 29, 2011 14:42 |  #10

I haven't really heard about no sales tax from BB. But it doesn't matter you got a good deal. :)

My concern is more of how bad there "black tie" program is, which you have figured out up front is not something for you.

I just hate the words the guy used in selling me the plan, Canon "authorized" facility. Sometimes, behind the back of your mind, specially when you hear the words canon and facility in the same sentence, rings the same. It's bordering misrepresentation.

ni$mo350 wrote in post #12677957 (external link)
I bought my 5dii from BB because they honored my generic 10% off coupon I printed from another member on here. No salex tax either so it was just over $2000.00 out the door. didn't bother with their "protection program" because I didn't believe it. I did buy Windows 7 and my Wacom tablet from them though at 0% interest for 6 motnhs so I'm not regretting that!

Gear List

liupublic
Goldmember
1,114 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 29, 2011 14:50 |  #11

He must have went to a Portland store. No sales tax in Oregon.

Still learning
Nikon D750, Sigma 24-105OS, 105mm 2.8g micro VR, Tamron 70-300VC

vitacura
Goldmember
1,514 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 29, 2011 14:51 |  #12

I got my 5D Mark II at Best Buy last year when Bing had a great cash back deal going on. (one of my local stores had the body in stock) when I went to pick it up I was also able to use the 12% off coupon they send to premier silver rewards zone members. Ended up with a really great deal that I purchased their Black Tie protection plan. A week later after doing research into it I went back for a full refund of the protection plan. I found an overwhelming amount of negative feedback on their Black Tie program.

Gear & Feedback

jclaveria
THREAD ­ STARTER
546 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 29, 2011 14:51 as a reply to  @ jclaveria's post |  #13

This is where Bestbuy sends the camera for fixing/cleaning:

http://www.precisionca​mera.com (external link)

So its a Canon authorized repair facility indeed. Now how about the three weeks wait to have your camera clean?

I would think what explains the three weeks is ground shipping back and forth + 1 week in facility.

If I live near Connecticut, it might have been a good deal.

Gear List

jclaveria
THREAD ­ STARTER
546 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 29, 2011 14:54 |  #14

Good for you sir...I don't know if I can do that now that i am just over a year on my four year deal with them.

vitacura wrote in post #12678345 (external link)
I got my 5D Mark II at Best Buy last year when Bing had a great cash back deal going on. (one of my local stores had the body in stock) when I went to pick it up I was also able to use the 12% off coupon they send to premier silver rewards zone members. Ended up with a really great deal that I purchased their Black Tie protection plan. A week later after doing research into it I went back for a full refund of the protection plan. I found an overwhelming amount of negative feedback on their Black Tie program.

Gear List

ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 29, 2011 15:06 |  #15

jclaveria wrote in post #12678294 (external link)
I haven't really heard about no sales tax from BB. But it doesn't matter you got a good deal. :)

My concern is more of how bad there "black tie" program is, which you have figured out up front is not something for you.

I just hate the words the guy used in selling me the plan, Canon "authorized" facility. Sometimes, behind the back of your mind, specially when you hear the words canon and facility in the same sentence, rings the same. It's bordering misrepresentation.

I deifnitely agree that their practices are beyond sketch. I was looking at the memory there for the 5dii and it was like $230+ for a 16gb CF. She tried to upsell it to me and I was like ummm no. haha

liupublic wrote in post #12678338 (external link)
He must have went to a Portland store. No sales tax in Oregon.

Yea, I went to two different stores but it did save me salex tax. I use my parent's address when I order now to avoid taxes even though I live in Vancouver.

-Chris-Website (external link)|| (external link)Facebook (external link)|| My Flickr (external link)|| Follow me!!! 500px (external link) || (external link) 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

sponsored links

1,577 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bestbuy BlackTie Plan for Cameras
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.