Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 28 Jun 2011 (Tuesday) 22:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

lion head-shot, soon to be printed

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 29, 2011 23:36 |  #16
bannedPermanent ban

I gotta' be honest, man. I like it with the branch. It gives it that "I'm watching you... from over here" look to it...

Gear List
"I feel bad for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna' feel all day." - Dean Martin

sponsored links
imsellingmyfoot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,026 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 29, 2011 23:41 |  #17

BreitlingFan wrote in post #12680844 (external link)
I gotta' be honest, man. I like it with the branch. It gives it that "I'm watching you... from over here" look to it...

I really liked it too... until I saw the version someone did of it without the branch. I'm really kinda torn now. I don't know what I want.

BLOG (external link)| flickr (external link) | Buy/Sell Feedback

Kevan
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 30, 2011 05:36 |  #18

I think the branch is only a problem if you want the subject close cropped, then there's no understanding what the branch is. Keeping the photo as it was taken...it's awesome. If you do edit it keep in mind the face should be a bit off balance. See the little clip in the ear tip? Remove it by cloning it out on one ear. The face will appear more realistic.

Also, drop the CS5 idea and go for the student's Elements 9. It's less than 100 bucks and does most of what photographers need. Really.

Again, it's a terrific shot.

kevan's lens (external link)

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 30, 2011 11:35 |  #19
bannedPermanent ban

Kevan_G9 wrote in post #12681660 (external link)
Also, drop the CS5 idea and go for the student's Elements 9. It's less than 100 bucks and does most of what photographers need. Really.

Quoted for truth.

I've had it for about two months, and I'm diggin' it...

Gear List
"I feel bad for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna' feel all day." - Dean Martin

Bryanp71
50 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 30, 2011 15:17 |  #20

on the cropped shot, i cant help but lock eyes with that beast.

JimCapaldi
Goldmember
1,157 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 30, 2011 15:50 as a reply to  @ Bryanp71's post |  #21

Amazing shot even with the branch. Those eyes say, "If I could eat you, I would!"

Canon EOS 6D / EF 50 mm 1.4 / EF 24-105mm f/4L IS / EF 70-300 mm 4-5.6 IS / EF 100mm f/2.8L IS
Canon 580EX II Speedlite, 430 EX Speedlite
Photos: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jcapaldi (external link)

Kevan
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 30, 2011 16:05 |  #22

JimCapaldi wrote in post #12684612 (external link)
Amazing shot even with the branch. Those eyes say, "If I could eat you, I would!"

More like, "If I could reach you, I would eat you!" After squeezing the camera's shutter, I would think a dry-hard swallow would be involuntary.

imsellingmyfoot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,026 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 02, 2011 11:07 as a reply to  @ Kevan's post |  #23

This is what I have done so far, with some much appreciated advice and pointers from
torvaterra; I'm reasonably happy with it from the ear down (I've really butchered the ear). I'm having a lot of trouble matching/blending the colors in the ear. When I was adjusting the colors for the whole layer I could either get the fur at the bottom to match or the ear fur to match, I couldn't get both. Any thoughts on what I have gotten so far?

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMG_6731-Edit-Edit-2.jpg (external link) by imsellingmyfoot (external link), on Flickr

dinko
232 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 02, 2011 12:40 |  #24

Or you can get a 30 day free trial of photoshop from adobe website. The side of his head would be really easy to copy over I think. Just look up a tutorial on layer masks and ur set. Would make for some great wall art especially since u personally took it and not just bought it at the store. Good luck

Canon 7D | 70-200 2.8L | 50 1.2L
DINKODESIGN.COM (external link)
- BRANDING | PACKAGING | ILLUSTRATION | WEB DESIGN | PHOTOGRAPHY

Kevan
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 02, 2011 14:58 |  #25

You know...if your revised photo was posted here for the first time, without the original shown, no one would be the wiser. Keep this photo in your quiver to continue to work on as you get new pp software, and become more adapt at editing. Everyone of us has been in your shoes. You've done good.

imsellingmyfoot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,026 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 02, 2011 23:18 |  #26

Kevan_G9 wrote in post #12694254 (external link)
You know...if your revised photo was posted here for the first time, without the original shown, no one would be the wiser. Keep this photo in your quiver to continue to work on as you get new pp software, and become more adapt at editing. Everyone of us has been in your shoes. You've done good.

Thanks. That's quite high praise. I'll continue playing with it until I'm completely happy with it, which is what ultimately matters.

TheLaird
Goldmember
2,543 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Jul 04, 2011 09:38 |  #27

Wonderful edit.

Illegitimi non carborundum --- as they said in Roman times ---

imsellingmyfoot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,026 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 05, 2011 23:59 as a reply to  @ TheLaird's post |  #28

Here is my final edit. Its a little different from the previous one I posted. I'm happy with it. Now I just need to figure out how big I can get it printed.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

final lion edit export.jpg (external link) by imsellingmyfoot (external link), on Flickr

TheLaird
Goldmember
2,543 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Jul 06, 2011 07:04 |  #29

imsellingmyfoot wrote in post #12711163 (external link)
Here is my final edit. Its a little different from the previous one I posted. I'm happy with it. Now I just need to figure out how big I can get it printed.

Life size ............ !!!!!

Illegitimi non carborundum --- as they said in Roman times ---

sponsored links

3,199 views & 0 likes for this thread
lion head-shot, soon to be printed
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.