Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 30 Jun 2011 (Thursday) 02:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

call me crazy but... (switching from canon to leica)

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,256 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 30, 2011 12:49 |  #31

Using rangefinder camreas such as the M9 are quite different from an SLR.

So is using medium format camera, such as the S2... though it's more closely modeled upon an SLR format than most. My biggest concern, besides price, is that this fairly new system isn't very extensive as yet.

You'd better be certain what you are getting into... If you've never shot either of these types of cameras, you should try before you buy. Considering what you thinking about doing, I would be surprised if a dealer wouldn't give you a loaner to test drive, if they thought they might be making a sale.

I really like rangefinder cameras for street shooting, photojournalistic type shots. It's hard to beat them for that sort of thing... but they aren't particularly useful with longer lenses and I use a lot of those, so I'll stick with an SLR.

I also like medium format (though I haven't used any of the digital models... just film in the good/bad old days)... great for portraiture, weddings, even some landscapes when I don't particularly feel like lugging around a 4x5 view camera and a bunch of film holders.

There have been a few wildlife photographers who usd medium format, but long lenses are again somewhat limited. Shooting speed is relatively slow, too. Not as slow as large format, of course. But not really what I'd call "sports oriented" either.

Looks like OP isn't all that interested in anything less than an OEM lens (and then mostly L-series). But be aware too that there are limited third party offerings for rangefinder cameras, and even less for medium format... particularly the relatively new S2 system. You'd find considerably more system choices with Leaf/Mamiya and Hasselblad... at least for the foreseeable future.

Really would need to know more about what the OP wants to do, what they like to shoot, to say whether the switch to one of these other systems would be wise or not.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

sponsored links
MNUplander
Goldmember
2,534 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 30, 2011 12:51 |  #32

Your financial situation is obviously different than it is for most of us, especially considering the short amount of time its taken you to acquire all of your lenses. Ill not judge you for that because if I did, it would be strictly out of jealousy. :)

Ive noticed you say the word "collecting" lenses in a lot of threads. If thats what you like about the hobby, the collecting, then by all means manage your collection how you want. If you'd rather collect Leica than Canon - go for it.

But to many people, lenses aren't like Pokemon - you dont "gotta catch 'em all". Figure out what you like to shoot and keep the lenses that are best suited for those type(s) of photography. Sell the rest and see how much cash you have and put that towards whatever Leica system you want to try. If thats not quite enough to cover your new Leica gear, just save a little bit - shouldnt take you that long given your ability to acquire expensive toys quickly.

Lake Superior and North Shore Landscape Photography (external link)
Buy & Sell Feedback
R6, EF16-35 f4 IS, EF 50 1.2, EF 100 2.8 IS Macro, 150-600C

Twix6
62 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 30, 2011 12:59 as a reply to  @ MNUplander's post |  #33

I love Amazon's description on the S2

Product Features and Technical Details
Product Features

* Easy to handle
* Affordable Price
* Greater Lens Quality
* Much Better in its class
* Three Inch LCD

T2i - 18-55IS, Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, 50-250 IS

lukeap69
Goldmember
1,206 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 30, 2011 13:36 |  #34

You have the money, why not? There must be a good reason you wanted to switch. You can always go back if you will not be successful with the switch. Will cost you money though. :)

Arnold
Speedlite / Speedlight / Sunpak 120J Beauty Dish Rig (external link)
Gear
my Google+ Profile (external link)

TuanTime
759 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 30, 2011 14:14 |  #35

MNUplander wrote in post #12683580 (external link)
Your financial situation is obviously different than it is for most of us, especially considering the short amount of time its taken you to acquire all of your lenses. Ill not judge you for that because if I did, it would be strictly out of jealousy. :)

Ive noticed you say the word "collecting" lenses in a lot of threads. If thats what you like about the hobby, the collecting, then by all means manage your collection how you want. If you'd rather collect Leica than Canon - go for it.

But to many people, lenses aren't like Pokemon - you dont "gotta catch 'em all". Figure out what you like to shoot and keep the lenses that are best suited for those type(s) of photography. Sell the rest and see how much cash you have and put that towards whatever Leica system you want to try. If thats not quite enough to cover your new Leica gear, just save a little bit - shouldnt take you that long given your ability to acquire expensive toys quickly.

You can add me to the list of jealous and envious. I like the lens collection explanation too. I mean I suppose nobody tells someone that collects Ferraris, Lambo's, Rolls Royces, or Bugattis that those cars won't make them better drivers. You also don't necessarily have to be a professional driver or even like to drive at all to collect cars. I suppose the same could be said about camera equipment. By all means if you have the means and the desire go for it. Spending money keeps the economy alive, hoarding it does not.

-g-
Horribly disfigured but learning to cope
12,517 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 30, 2011 17:08 |  #36

jdizzle wrote in post #12681638 (external link)
So,again, try it first before you sell all your Canon gear. Leica rides along with my Canon gear when I don't feel like MF bcoz' there are times when AF is a must. :)

Julian speaks the truth. Very few DSLR shooters that get a rangefinder sell off their whole kit. Having options is always a good thing.

Flickr (external link)--------------- Facebook (external link)--------------- Web (external link)--------------- Twitter (external link)
GENO.CA - Vancouver wedding photographer

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 30, 2011 18:34 |  #37

newworld666 wrote in post #12682099 (external link)
:confused: basically I imagine I want to spend my life with 1DsMKII+24L+85L+200L, so I guess, if I was in this situation to choose Leica, I wouldn't be lost with S2+35/2.5+70/2.5+180/3​.5 ... maybe missing 3200iso, but is it really worth to shot at 3200 ? ...

An interesting review from last year ...
http://www.stevehuffph​oto.com …s2-digital-camera-review/ (external link)

re: 3200 iso...absolutely. I've shot plenty of keepers at ISO 3200 and lots of "usables" at 6400.

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

plasticmotif
Goldmember
3,174 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 30, 2011 18:48 |  #38

5D2 + 35-70 and ZE 21

M9 + Leica 50 Summilux is all I'd want....well the 90/2 APO too.

and an MP-E 65.

That's honestly about it.

Mac P.
My Zenfolio (external link) My Photo Blog (external link) My Equipment
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=14172975#po​st14172975

Choderboy
I like a long knob
6,838 posts
Gallery: 155 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 30, 2011 19:25 as a reply to  @ post 12682027 |  #39

No problem you asked for it.
YOU ARE CRAZY!

At least in my world. According to your posts/gear list you have bought 15 Canon L lenses since April this year and are now planning to sell them all.

I mean each to is own and all that, but come on. Do you really expect people to say that's not crazy if you ask? Have you even used any of the lenses? Honest question, with a new lens arriving every few days it would seem a bit of a challenge.

Dave
Image editing OK

EcoRick
Goldmember
1,863 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 30, 2011 19:53 as a reply to  @ Choderboy's post |  #40

I hope you're a very, very good photographer. I had the M6 and R series body with a few lenses and sold them to go Canon digital. More money than talent. If you have the talent and you think your skills will benefit from the change, have at it. For me, the benefits of using the features of a good Canon body and lenses are more important than having a Leica setup I could not fully utilize or enjoy. You have such a great gear list, I think you should fully understand and feel comfortable with what you're getting into.

P.S. If you decide to change, please PM me so I can have first crack at some of your gear.

Gear: Canon 1Ds MkII, 35L, 85L, 135L, 24-105L

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 30, 2011 19:53 |  #41

Choderboy wrote in post #12685571 (external link)
No problem you asked for it.
YOU ARE CRAZY!

At least in my world. According to your posts/gear list you have bought 15 Canon L lenses since April this year and are now planning to sell them all.

I mean each to is own and all that, but come on. Do you really expect people to say that's not crazy if you ask? Have you even used any of the lenses? Honest question, with a new lens arriving every few days it would seem a bit of a challenge.

I mean this as no disrespect and not trying to start shizz...just an honest and frank observation...honestly I think he just likes owning and showing off/bragging about his "gears". Take a look at his thread starting history...

-=Gear=-

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 30, 2011 19:55 |  #42

EcoRick wrote in post #12685678 (external link)
I hope you're a very, very good photographer. I had the M6 and R series body with a few lenses and sold them to go Canon digital. More money than talent. If you have the talent and you think your skills will benefit from the change, have at it. For me, the benefits of using the features of a good Canon body and lenses are more important than having a Leica setup I could not fully utilize or enjoy.

Judging from the photos he has put up (one of his "L family" and one of some birds) I don't think his skills live up to his equipment. Nor do I think Leica "gears" will improve anything in his world. (Again, I'm not hating, my skills may not live up to my 1D3/16-35L combo either), but from what little he has posted of what comes out of his cameras, I don't think equipment is a limiting factor ;)

-=Gear=-

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 30, 2011 22:08 |  #43

LowriderS10 wrote in post #12685681 (external link)
I mean this as no disrespect and not trying to start shizz...just an honest and frank observation...honestly I think he just likes owning and showing off/bragging about his "gears". Take a look at his thread starting history...

It's nice and all to have gear but, if you look at the overlap he's got, it's really extreme. The OP is going through G.A.S. :lol::lol::lol:

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 30, 2011 22:10 |  #44

LowriderS10 wrote in post #12685692 (external link)
Judging from the photos he has put up (one of his "L family" and one of some birds) I don't think his skills live up to his equipment. Nor do I think Leica "gears" will improve anything in his world. (Again, I'm not hating, my skills may not live up to my 1D3/16-35L combo either), but from what little he has posted of what comes out of his cameras, I don't think equipment is a limiting factor ;)

I had mentioned this before and all I ever saw was a pic of his lens collection.

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 30, 2011 22:18 |  #45

jdizzle wrote in post #12686277 (external link)
It's nice and all to have gear but, if you look at the overlap he's got, it's really extreme. The OP is going through G.A.S. :lol::lol::lol:

That was exactly my first thought when I looked at his list...same goes for the bodies...he has three 1.6x crop bodies and an FF and goes out to shoot birds with the FF...I'm not sure that that's the best course of action ;)

-=Gear=-

sponsored links

23,326 views & 0 likes for this thread
call me crazy but... (switching from canon to leica)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.