Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 30 Jun 2011 (Thursday) 02:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

call me crazy but... (switching from canon to leica)

noisejammer
Goldmember
1,053 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 01, 2011 16:23 |  #61

If having nice toys is your thing - then strength to your elbow... sell your Canon gear and "upgrade to Leica"... Don't forget there's a very good chance you can't have Leica lenses anyway. Almost every lens they make is on a 9 month waiting list. A good friend (pro photographer) was offered a 30% premium over the list price for a lens by someone who wanted to jump the queue.

There's no option for aftermarket lenses either. Leica uses lenses that fit the M-bayonet but the sensor is displaced slightly from the specified plane. The result is that Zeiss lenses don't focus correctly unless the camera and all your lenses go to Zeiss for adjustment....

It prolly won't matter but I've played with the same friend's M8 and M9 - they are certainly fashion accessories but I don't rate them as particularly good cameras at all. To my mind a camera is not a body nor is it a lens - it is a system. The fundamental problem with Leica cameras is that you can't focus them well enough for the photographer to take advantage of the spectacular glass or the missing AA filter.

As for the S2... $23k for a body that's outperformed by a D3x. You've got to be kidding.

Do I think you''re nuts - nope - I honestly don't. I think you're quite silly.

Several cameras and more glass than I will admit to.
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
robtk
211 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 01, 2011 16:31 |  #62

you have too many lenses as it is, and i doubt you even find uses for 70% of them. new gear will satisfy you the same that canon has

5Dmkii ~ Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 ~ Canon 35L

-g-
Horribly disfigured but learning to cope
12,517 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 01, 2011 16:37 as a reply to  @ robtk's post |  #63

noisejammer wrote in post #12690140 (external link)
The fundamental problem with Leica cameras is that you can't focus them well enough for the photographer to take advantage of the spectacular glass or the missing AA filter.

Excuse me?

Flickr (external link)--------------- Facebook (external link)--------------- Web (external link)--------------- Twitter (external link)
GENO.CA - Vancouver wedding photographer

noisejammer
Goldmember
1,053 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 01, 2011 16:56 |  #64

-g- wrote in post #12690200 (external link)
Excuse me?

Maybe I phrased that poorly. The lenses are capable of out-resolving the sensor every time. Human visual acuity is just not good enough to judge when they're in focus.

I'm not saying that Leicas are blurry - not by any means - I'm saying that (away from the rf centre) it's not possible to determine when they are in focus. This is particularly true of the faster lenses that have significant field curvature. You simply can't focus, reframe and expect the subject to be crisp.

The screen on the M9 isn't up to examining the image at pixel level either and there's no live view so you're quite stuck.

Several cameras and more glass than I will admit to.
Flickr (external link)

banpreso
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 01, 2011 18:08 |  #65

lol the OP is probably too busy making money by the fistful to respond to his own thread. heck, if money is no issue, go for the best stuff out there available. canon is workhorse, and there are products out there that's more high end than canon. you want luxury and exclusivity, and you want head turners and drool items when you flash it out at your local country club and yacht club.

i'd say go for the leica M9. better yet grab one of the limited edition. also grab the 50mm f0.95 noctilux and other top shelf leica lenses to go with it. i think M9 will appear more classy, along with the history and heritage of the M series which makes it very cool. i think the S2 will make you look like a dork at your country club.

now, if you want photographers to drool over your gears, M9 + 0.95 notcilux is still a very respectable combination, but other options are available as well, such as the S2 and the H4D, and all will get you a lot of respect in terms of gears.

Flickr (external link)

T2i4me
Goldmember
2,905 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 01, 2011 21:31 |  #66

I think NASA has some cameras you might be interested in, can't be more than a few million and they work in a vacuum! That gear list is larger than the stock at my local Canon dealer, amazing!

-- Eric --
5DC - T2i - 100-400 L IS - 70-200 F4 L - 17-40 L - EF 85 1.8 - EF-S 10-22 - EF-S 15-85 IS - EF-S 60 macro - 430EX II

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 01, 2011 21:55 |  #67

plasticmotif wrote in post #12689700 (external link)
Don't make fun of JDizzle.

HUEHUEHUEHUEHUE

You joker! ;)

plasticmotif wrote in post #12690058 (external link)
Good luck finding any lenses :X

This is a fact! It's like trying to find unobtanium. ;)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 01, 2011 21:57 |  #68

-g- wrote in post #12690200 (external link)
Excuse me?

Don't worry, he just took a hit from the crack pipe. :lol::lol:;)

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 01, 2011 22:22 |  #69

can we start a thread trying to figure out with the OP does for a living to be able to afford all his "gears"?

My guess is that he works at McDonald's.... but won the lottery. :rolleyes:

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

woos
Goldmember
2,224 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 01, 2011 22:38 |  #70

Yeah, ur crazy :)

The M9 sure grab a used one or something, sell a couple items and play with it, there's some good fairly inexpensive lenses that you can find...

But the S2, crazy imho. There's reports of AF accuracy issues. There's no live view. What lenses are you going to use? Isn't there something like two lenses that are actually available? And they are extremely expensive. There's no standard zoom. There's no really wide angle (there's the 35mm, it's fairly wide, but remember this sensor isn't THAT much bigger than 35mm!!). You'll be stuck with a 35mm and a 180mm, and that's about it. I think there's a macro too that's in the 100mm range somewhere... No long telephoto, no zooms, etc. If you wanna go MF stick with something that actually has some lens selection imho. I wouldnt' bet on the S system having any future.

amanathia.zenfolio.com

woos
Goldmember
2,224 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 01, 2011 22:42 |  #71

banpreso wrote in post #12690583 (external link)
now, if you want photographers to drool over your gears, M9 + 0.95 notcilux is still a very respectable combination, but other options are available as well, such as the S2 and the H4D, and all will get you a lot of respect in terms of gears.

You can't really compare the S2 and the H or phase one systems though. While way overpriced in respect to their capabilities, there's tons of lens options for H and P1 stuff. Many which wont' break the bank (course the back/camera itself will). Where's the S system has like 2 or 3 lenses total that you can actually go out and buy, I think. Even if I were very wealthy, I don't think I could justify buying a camera that only has a couple of lenses available--I'd buy into one of the other MF systems instead, if I wanted to spend that much.

amanathia.zenfolio.com

banpreso
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 01, 2011 23:10 |  #72

woos wrote in post #12691611 (external link)
You can't really compare the S2 and the H or phase one systems though. While way overpriced in respect to their capabilities, there's tons of lens options for H and P1 stuff. Many which wont' break the bank (course the back/camera itself will). Where's the S system has like 2 or 3 lenses total that you can actually go out and buy, I think. Even if I were very wealthy, I don't think I could justify buying a camera that only has a couple of lenses available--I'd buy into one of the other MF systems instead, if I wanted to spend that much.

exclusivity= extra points for being cool ;)

Flickr (external link)

User7
81 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 02, 2011 00:17 |  #73

ewheeler20 wrote in post #12691522 (external link)
can we start a thread trying to figure out with the OP does for a living to be able to afford all his "gears"?

What's it matter? The more gears the better! :p

Mike

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 02, 2011 00:21 |  #74

I'm curious to find what the OP is going to do in the end bcoz' he has not responded to the feedback here. :confused::lol:

nonameowns
377 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 02, 2011 01:43 |  #75

you're an idiot.

sell all lenses expect three you use the most. Use the money and stuff it in saving. Who knows when America will gone to pooper.

Proud owner of Canon EOS-1D Classic :cool:

sponsored links

22,461 views & 0 likes for this thread
call me crazy but... (switching from canon to leica)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.